EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Crazy-ass Mormons!
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 12-06-2003 06:33:26 PM
quote:
Russian Orthodox Church questions Mormon use of Russian names
Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY — Less than a year after the Mormon church promised, again, to stop baptizing dead Jews into its faith, the Mormons have raised concerns by funding the preservation — at 10 cents a sheet — of thousands of names of dead Russian Orthodox Church members.

The church flatly rejects allegations that it is buying the names of dead souls, and insists the effort in Russia is aimed only at providing an archive of genealogical data for the good of all mankind.

Others say the church is continuing its oft-criticized ritual of posthumously baptizing the dead as Mormons — a practice called "proxy baptism" that critics say is rife with ethical and moral problems.

"Obviously we can’t approve the practice. It takes away the most essential gift God has given people, their freedom," said the spokesman for the patriarchal parish of the Russian Orthodox Church in the United States.

"It turns religion into magic," continued Father Joseph, who does not use his last name and is secretary to the administrator of the parish, St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral in New York.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has long collected names from government documents and other records worldwide. The names are then used in temple rituals, during which Mormon stand-ins are dunked in water to offer the dead salvation and entry to the Mormon religion.

It’s primarily intended to offer salvation to the ancestors of Mormons, but many others are included.

The practice "does not force a change of religion on any deceased person," said Dale Bills, a spokesman for the Utah-based church which has more than 11 million members worldwide. "Proxy baptism is a caring expression of faith that provides deceased persons the opportunity to accept or reject what we believe to be a blessing offered in their behalf."

Salt Lake City independent researcher Helen Radkey said she has found such notable non-Mormons as Adolph Hitler, Anne Frank, and even Roman Catholic popes and saints within the church’s database — called the International Genealogical Index — of 600 million names.

"From our perspective, the Catholic church does not recognize the validity of Mormon baptisms," said the Rev. Ronald Roberson, the associate director of the Secretariat for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington, D.C.

"Rebaptisim is, by definition, an impossibility," he said. "Either you’re baptized or you’re not."

But Mormon faithful believe that individual ability to choose continues beyond the grave.

"Nothing is forced on anyone," Bills said. "Since no offense is intended, we hope none will be taken."

Even though Catholics believe the rebaptisms change nothing in the afterlife for the deceased, Roberson said he could see how finding out that a service has been done on one’s behalf might affect their survivors.

"It constitutes a denial of the baptism that already took place," he said. "People could certainly have reason to be upset."

In 1995 the Mormon church agreed with Jewish leaders to end its practice of posthumously baptizing Jews. However, after several Jewish organizations complained that the practice hadn’t stopped and Radkey produced the names of at least 20,000 Jews in the index, the church last December rededicated itself to ending the practice and removing the names.

Radkey, however, said many names still have not been removed, despite what she called a "cosmetic" clean-up two months ago of Jews who died in concentration camps. In fact, within the last few months she has found the names of prominent Jews still in the database, albeit under their original names or those with alternate spellings.

They include David Ben-Gurion, Israel’s first prime minister, and Theodor Herzl, Hungarian journalist and the founder of Zionism.

Radkey said the inclusion of Ben-Gurion, listed by his birth name of David Green and baptized since 2000, indicates the Mormons are not sincere about abiding by the agreement with Jewish leaders.

"If he would be done since the 1995 agreement, then they’ll do any Jew," she said.

Bills said the church is actively abiding by the agreement, and will remove Jewish names when they are presented to church officials.

There’s no agreement with the Russian Orthodox Church, however.

The Mormon church arranged through the cash-strapped Russian Society of Historians and Archivists in Moscow to reimburse the labor costs for transferring 18th-century church membership lists to microfilm.

The church says it is a service to humanity. Historical, genealogical data is preserved on microfilm, and is safe from natural disasters since one copy is kept with the sponsoring organization and the other in Salt Lake City.

After objections were raised last month by one Russian Orthodox Church parish east of Moscow, the practice has been suspended for further review.

The concern extends to the church’s U.S. office, which says the Mormons have no right to rebaptize people into a different faith after their deaths.

"The decision that the person makes is made here on Earth, that’s final," said Father Joseph, the church’s New York-based spokesman.

Copyright © 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.

I'm speechless.

Ace in the Spade
Pancake
posted 12-06-2003 09:32:50 PM
Meh I don't see the problem. Who cares if someone dunks themselves in water on your behalf. Ain't harming you. Or are we still thinking that names hold power over our souls? Then again what if Mormonism is one true and rigth way (hehe, yea right) then wouldn't you owe them? And if its not whats it going to do to you? And plus its not like people are being harmed mostly because their dead. Seriously if your soul is that angry at them for doing maybe talk with God and try to see if you can get a couple drowned. Otherwise meh, who cares.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-06-2003 09:34:55 PM
I don't see any gain on their behalf and I seriously don't care either. Let them do it.
hey
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 12-06-2003 09:47:23 PM
Mormons are fucked up. I should know, they tried to make me one.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-06-2003 09:49:47 PM
I dunno. If my time around the boards has proven nothing else, it's that people with deeply-felt and deeply-held religious convictions can feel pretty strongly about things. Whereas I would be miffed (just as I'd be miffed if someone used my inheritance to them to go buy drugs), for people with deeply held religious convictions it can likely be offensive. Like a forced conversion (which most Christian branches have given up).

I can see where it's particularly irritating when someone does it to a member of another faith. If you identify yourself with and are accepted as a member of one group, and some idiots come along and force you to be something else, or try to use an interpretation of the "rules" to force you to be something else, it's infuriating.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-06-2003 10:09:30 PM
http://www.the10commandments.info/

1. You shall have no other gods before me

In the eyes of some people, allowing the baptism to another religion for the point of salvation, even as a precautionary measure for a deceased loved one, would violate this simple statement.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-06-2003 10:12:26 PM
quote:
Verily, diadem doth proclaim:
http://www.the10commandments.info/

1. You shall have no other gods before me

In the eyes of some people, allowing the baptism to another religion for the point of salvation, even as a precautionary measure for a deceased loved one, would violate this simple statement.

I like the idea of some dead guy up in Heaven having a great time until some Mormons decide to baptise him and he's booted down to Hell because of it.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-06-2003 10:21:20 PM
quote:
El Imán Grande! had this to say about dark elf butts:
I like the idea of some dead guy up in Heaven having a great time until some Mormons decide to baptise him and he's booted down to Hell because of it.

No, not the dead guy, his living realitives. If they knowignly accept the idea of another god that is not their own being used as a salvation to their dead realtive, it could be argued that they are breaking this commandment. It's a bit of a streach, but I wouldn't doubt it's use as an argument.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-07-2003 12:57:52 AM
But, if they can do that, then what would they say to someone else doing something like that to them?

I bet they wouldn't like it too much.

If they wanna save my soul after I'm dead, they can express mail themselves to God and plead my case in person.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 12-07-2003 04:32:56 AM
The Russian Orthodox Church is VERY touchy about other faiths, especially Christian ones, poaching its members. They will not be pleased by this. Notwithstanding the fact it involves dead people. They think Catholics are going to hell, and after this little stunt, they'll probably figure the Mormons for being lesser servants of the devil.
Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 12-07-2003 04:41:09 AM
quote:
Callalron attempted to be funny by writing:
they'll probably figure the Mormons for being lesser servants of the devil.

If they're the only ones to think that, I'll be very suprised.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 12-07-2003 12:24:03 PM
According to the New Testament, baptising the dead is wrong, so you KNOW the Russian Orthodox Church is going to call them the minions of the Anti-Christ for this.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-07-2003 12:41:22 PM
Mormons are weird. I should know, I used to be one (Back when my parents could still force me to go to church, that is).
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-07-2003 01:17:38 PM
quote:
Khyron impressed everyone with:
Mormons are weird. I should know, I used to be one (Back when my parents could still force me to go to church, that is).

Really? Was that episode of South Park from a couple weeks ago acccurate?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-07-2003 01:29:50 PM
quote:
El Imán Grande!'s account was hax0red to write:

I don't know, because I didn't watch it.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-07-2003 02:56:16 PM
quote:
El Imán Grande! had this to say about John Romero:

Yes it was...The Reasons the Mormon's are in Saltlake City is because they were so dispised the got kicked out from everywere else. Jim Bridger thought "Well I don't want these assholes up in northwest, I know I will send them to that Hellhold great salt lake in Utah"

Broadzilla
Pancake
posted 12-07-2003 03:02:43 PM
It's there religion. Let them do whatever the hell they want, just as long as it isn't harming others.
"I like lesbians with a giddy delight. If I had my own pair, I'd jack off every night."
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me."
"There are easier things in life then finding a good guy like nailing Jell-0 to a tree."

[T E C H N O D R O M E] // [E R I N E Y ' S M I N D]

Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 12-07-2003 03:36:38 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Broadzilla:
isn't harming others.

That's precisely the point in debate.

The World is Yours
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 12-07-2003 05:29:08 PM
I can see how some people might be offended if the Mormons started running around declaring that the people they'd baptized were Mormons too, and a possible libel suit might be pursued. In fact, if it were one of my relatives I'd probably be offended, if for no other reason than that you should let the dead rest in peace.

I don't believe in Mormon doctrine, but it does seem rather disrespectful.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 12-07-2003 06:44:07 PM
I don't really care. Let them do what they want. I've been initiated into so many religions that, no matter what happens, I'm going somewhere good anyway...

But if someone comes up and says "yo, don't do that", they should not do that. Continuing is bad mojo.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 12-07-2003 08:48:10 PM
Doing it to both Adolf Hitler and Anne Frank is a pretty sick joke, though.

Also, I must say I was hoping death would be restful and free from religious solicitation. Those crazy mormons.

[ 12-07-2003: Message edited by: Pvednes ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: