EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Question
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-05-2003 11:16:33 AM
I have a Dell Dimension desktop I bought in early 2001. I have upgraded a few times:

P4 1.7 mhz
766 megs RAM (it uses that Rambus crap)
Decent DVD-ROM
Good CD burner
Topline GEForce4 (rather than FX), 128 megs RAM (or maybe 256, frankly I can't remember)
Pinnacle DV500 Video Capture Card
Optical Mouse, Ordinary Keyboard
Simple Speakers and Sound Blaster Card
80 Gig hard drive (but I don't store music and delete my video files when I finish them, so that's been enough space).
Microsoft Office XP
Microfoft Windows XP

Now I don't do much gaming on the machine any more, but I am wondering how much longer until this bad boy becomes obsolete, and which parts will go first. Is processor speed really crucial, or will I survive? I don't need to have state of the art, and KOTOR runs fine, as I learned last night. I'm going to be a "three games a year maybe" guy from now on, so just tell me where my weak points are. If you need to ask additional questions, I will try and answer them. Thanks.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-05-2003 11:19:26 AM
honestly that's still a pretty snappy computer.
You might want to upgrade the video card at some point next year but nothing really needs upgrading right now. I'd say you're going to be good on new games until end of 2004 or so at the earliest.
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 12-05-2003 11:21:26 AM
quote:
Blindy Claus had this to say about Tron:
honestly that's still a pretty snappy computer.
You might want to upgrade the video card at some point next year but nothing really needs upgrading right now. I'd say you're going to be good on new games until end of 2004 or so at the earliest.

Glad I overpaid in 2001, then, I guess.

Had a lot left in savings after I bought my house (my downpayment was lower than I thought) and splurged....

Thanks, Blindy Claus! And I didn't get you anything......here, have a cookie from my sock drawer!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-05-2003 11:55:56 AM
quote:
Gydfather had this to say about John Romero:

Had a lot left in savings after I bought my house (my downpayment was lower than I thought) and splurged....

Thanks, Blindy Claus! And I didn't get you anything......here, have a cookie from my sock drawer!

you can pay me back by sicking your minions on the bastards that keep putting me in the same group as Somthor and Delphi.

Sean
posted 12-05-2003 12:05:25 PM
quote:
Gydfather had this to say about Optimus Prime:

Indeed. And, when it comes time for a video card, there's some pretty cheap and decent ones running about.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Valso
Pancake
posted 12-05-2003 12:47:47 PM
Yeh, the system looks fine. Also know that if you get a better video card (say the next generation ones next year) that you "may" find your cpu lacking, but if your not a "must have best graphics in the world!!!1!" person, then your GF4 will be a very nice card for another year I am sure.

On my 1.2GHz Athlon (pre-Athlon XP)/GeForce3 ti200 64mb, I find I can play things well enough. Yes, I lose the high quality, but ::shrug:: had this since Jun of '01 and it still plugs along very well.

(blank)
Gydyon
posted 12-05-2003 01:33:46 PM
I have minions?
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-05-2003 01:49:16 PM
quote:
From the book of Gydfather, chapter 3, verse 16:
I have minions?

Horray for plausible deniability!

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-05-2003 01:55:47 PM
quote:
Gydfather still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
I have minions?

Hey boss, this guy buggin' you?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gydyon
posted 12-05-2003 02:11:25 PM
quote:
Karnaj impressed everyone with:
Hey boss, this guy buggin' you?

No!

I mean, who are you?

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Gydyon
posted 12-05-2003 02:12:47 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Robocop:
Indeed. And, when it comes time for a video card, there's some pretty cheap and decent ones running about.

Examples plz I need Christmas ideas....

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Sean
posted 12-05-2003 02:23:48 PM
quote:
Gydfather wrote this stupid crap:
Examples plz I need Christmas ideas....

Well, which GF4 do you have? Ti4600?

I just picked up an FX5900 for $188, waiting on FedEx to get off their asses and get it here,

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Gydyon
posted 12-05-2003 03:02:55 PM
quote:
So quoth Sean:
Well, which GF4 do you have? Ti4600?

I just picked up an FX5900 for $188, waiting on FedEx to get off their asses and get it here,

Yes, I think that's it.

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: