EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: AGH. Credit Card Confusion?
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 03:15:00 PM
I have a Classic Credit Card from UsBank.

This is what they say about annual fees:

$0 the first year and every year that you charge at least one purchase to the account.
Otherwise
Classic: $20
Platinum: $40

... I've made purchaces. In fact, I currently have 400 some odd dollars of purchaces on said card. And they charged me the fee anyway! O.x And they charged my intrest after that, so it was higher then it would have been if they hadn't added it.

Am I reading it wrong? I've only had my cred card for a year, and I've used it at least once a month, every month.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-03-2003 03:25:19 PM
Did you have any late payments? If so, you may want to check the fine print and see if they have anything that says they'll charge the fee always if you are late once or something.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 03:30:58 PM
I've never been late. ^_^

I'm very proud of myself for that.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-03-2003 03:31:51 PM
quote:
Gikk probably says this to all the girls:
I've never been late. ^_^

I'm very proud of myself for that.

All I can guess then is there is something in fine print that they are nailing you with. IF not, call them and ask them to clarify the charge for you.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 03:34:40 PM
Calling them when I get out of class.

Just.. argh. They are very nice about fixing whenever they mess up, but they mess up an awful lot.

can you please fix my title
posted 12-03-2003 03:37:27 PM
Credit Cards are evil.

they will use any excuse to charge you a insane interest rate. for instance they might review your credit file and decide your debit to income ratio is to high and then say you have a higher risk of defualt than when we extended you credit therefore we will charge you more.

dont ever be late its the excuse they need even once..to raise your interest rate to the maximum

recently one of the cards i have a balence on was bought by a new bank. i paid the old bank as i was supposed to and that one payment was recived by the new bank 2 days late...althought it was actualy paid early. they then raised the 4.7 interest rate i had (execellent credit) to 19.99

called and complained thye admitted it was their error, HOWEVER had i not noticed it that month it would have been permenete. they hope you dont notice the fine print. I HATE THEM

consolidated all my debt onto 2 cards balences are a bit high becuse i recently purchased a new house and had a child but they are going back down again. is always best to be a CASH customer

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 12-03-2003 03:39:53 PM
There are so many credit cards out there without an annual fee, if youre getting charged one I would dump them.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 03:45:52 PM
.. Honestly, I'm using my credit card to build my credit.

I'm very happy with the very low limit I have that I will ALWAYS be able to handle the payments, even if I am at the limit (Payments are 10.00 at my 500 dollar limit)

I never only pay the minumim payment.

And, I have a very nice interest rate, and have had so for a year. my interest rate is somewhere between 10.99 and 12.99, depending on the month - my sister's is 24.99.

They are completely in thier full rights to raise your interest rate for being late. It's your fault you were late. Most credit cards, however, will drop your interest rate back down if you continue to pay on time for 3 to 6 months after the initial lapse.

You have to read all the fine print - it's YOUR fault if you don't. Don't blame them for having it, blame YOU for not reading it. While it is best to be a cash customer, A: most people don't have that amount of cash on hand, B: just TRY getting a home loan or car loan when you have no credit. You'll get worse then if you had a credit card with a low limit and a high interest rate - you'll have a 300,000 morgage with a high interest rate.

Credit cards have thier definate fine points - as long as you use them wisely and A: don't just pay the minumum amount, B: ALWAYS pay your bill on time, and C: always read the fine print.

Oh, and I shouldn't be getting charged from everything I see. If I AM going to be charged, I will dump them.

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited by: Gikk ]

can you please fix my title
posted 12-03-2003 03:56:29 PM
yep

gotta build credit in todays world you cant function without it. another good way to get it is.. deposit some cash in a bank then get a personal loan with that deposit as collaterial. make payments for a short time and then pay it off. repeat...

car loans are good to. banks like to see a payment history over time more than revolving charge payment history

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 12-03-2003 03:57:33 PM
Probably a stipulation in there about being over the limit as well for them to charge you the annual fee....
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 03:58:29 PM
I don't see one.

Sec, and I'll yank up thier rules.

Terms and conditions for my credit card.

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited by: Gikk ]

Valso
Pancake
posted 12-03-2003 07:03:10 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Gikk stammered:
I have a Classic Credit Card from UsBank.

This is what they say about annual fees:

$0 the first year and every year that you charge at least one purchase to the account.
Otherwise
Classic: $20
Platinum: $40

... I've made purchaces. In fact, I currently have 400 some odd dollars of purchaces on said card. And they charged me the fee anyway! O.x And they charged my intrest after that, so it was higher then it would have been if they hadn't added it.

Am I reading it wrong? I've only had my cred card for a year, and I've used it at least once a month, every month.

They way I read this is... You owe $20 just to have the CC a year, after the first year, due to having a "classic."

Even if you pay your minimum, you still owe them more money, which they can charge interest on... So, I completely see why you owe them extra. The best way to use a credit card, is to pay the full amount each month, or online pay whenever you see money being "owed."

{I could be wrong in the first part, just because I am in a rush and will look again later tonight when I have time}

(blank)
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 12-03-2003 07:04:40 PM
The reversed it. Seems it was an error.

Since, (of course) I have made purchaces.

Yay for spending!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: