EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Deth Art!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 12-01-2003 07:20:45 PM
Might not be 56k friendly, but here we go...

First three pictures are from my online D&D game. They're NPC's that will come into play at some point:

This guy is Barbarossa, the Half-Elven Assassin.

This guy is Invictus...The so-called "Dog of War". Yeah I know his legs aren't in proportion. He got bigger as I filled in the details, and I never got around to filling in his legs better.

This guy is called Deed, and he's sort of the general-function wizard/sorcerer/artificer. He's meant to look younger than the other two, despite the fact he's been around significantly longer.

Next up are some RP-related pics not tied to my D&D game:

From left to right, Skeletini (my bro's gnomish necromancer), Ja'Deth (yours truly), and Malbi (ye olde flame-headed gnomeyguy extraordinaire)

This is Quelith. Lyinar and I have sort of sketched out what the next generation of the Ka`Bael clan would be like. Jan has a son who she really doesn't like to acknowledge, and his name is Quelith (literally "Forgotten Child"). This is what he'd look like as an adult...yes he has a nose. I just didn't feel the need to draw in all the shadows. He looks more sinister without it somehow...as if his skin is milky white and repels the shadows. Unlike his Mom, Que isn't physically robust. Instead he relies on superior gear, his natural agility, and most of all his high intelligence and ability to intimidate.

In our roleplaying, Lyinar always seems to be the "radiant mother" sort who likes being pregnant and always seems so happy with her children. It's that sort of "transcendental mommy" attitude that inspired this quicky sketch. Lyinar really likes the picture, and I find it strangely satisfying to look at. Just a very happy picture. Sort of like images of happy Buddha.

Last but not least, Candace (Lyinar's RL name) once in passing made a comment that I never draw pictures of her in real life. Well...I'm not big on over-detailed pics. No good at it. But I can draw comic-style, so here's my comic-style image of my beloved sweetie. Tada!

There's a bunch of comics I have to scan in, but I have to darken up the lines some so the scanner reads them better. Those'll probably come in the next week or so.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

D Spot
Pancake
posted 12-01-2003 07:25:14 PM
Those are pretty good.
Caid '5 Fists' Berrit
I've had a few beers but I'm cool to drive
posted 12-01-2003 07:31:44 PM
Impressive.
'But if I had a shotgun you know what I'd do?
I'd point that shit straight at the sky and shoot heavan on down for you'

Bradley Nowell
Ace in the Spade
Pancake
posted 12-01-2003 07:32:22 PM
Skeletini is now new most favoritiest gnome guy ever.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-01-2003 07:35:49 PM
Gnomes are surprisingly satisfying to draw for some reason.
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Ares
posted 12-01-2003 07:39:52 PM
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-01-2003 07:49:50 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael said:
Last but not least, Candace.

Breasts! Gazongas! Melons!

Puggy
Pancake
posted 12-01-2003 08:05:32 PM
Nice work.
Malbi
posted 12-01-2003 08:08:18 PM
how do my glasses stay on?
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-01-2003 08:09:49 PM
quote:
Malbi's fortune cookie read:

Magic. Duh.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-01-2003 08:11:44 PM
quote:
How.... Malbi.... uughhhhhh:

Because that's of great importance when your head is on fire

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 12-01-2003 08:46:52 PM
Great pics! Malbi is flaming goodness!

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-01-2003 08:52:19 PM
quote:
Jajahotep had this to say about dark elf butts:
Malbi is flaming goodness!

*giggles in a most juvinile fashion*

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-02-2003 03:08:43 AM
quote:
Malbi's fortune cookie read:

With style, my young apprentice. With style.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-02-2003 02:44:32 PM
I require more praise.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-02-2003 02:45:26 PM
We require more art.
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 12-02-2003 02:48:41 PM
Good stuff Ja'deth.
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-02-2003 02:50:53 PM
note to self: Figure out why I can't get something for nothing.

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 12-02-2003 02:53:04 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Punky Brewster:
note to self: Figure out why I can't get something for nothing.

Need a touch more charisma perhaps?

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-02-2003 02:54:43 PM
If you were a girl you would probably get tons more praise.
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 12-02-2003 02:58:47 PM
Boobage would probably help some, but I doubt it would do all that much. I suspect it has more to do with how well everyone knows the artist.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but you know what they say about familiarity. /shrug

[ 12-02-2003: Message edited by: Star Collective ]

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-02-2003 08:36:06 PM
quote:
How.... Star Collective.... uughhhhhh:
Boobage would probably help some, but I doubt it would do all that much. I suspect it has more to do with how well everyone knows the artist.

I don't mean that in a bad way, but you know what they say about familiarity. /shrug

Gotcha. Boobies.

How about good natured poking of fun at people on the boards?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-02-2003 08:37:39 PM
Where's my portrait? Where's my cheeseburger?
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 12-02-2003 08:44:05 PM
These are awesomesocks. Your NPCs are serious, moody, and kickupoarseupo. And the humorous ones are hi-larious.

Would you be so kind as to do one of me? *offers a kupo nut*

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

can you please fix my title
posted 12-02-2003 08:49:59 PM
if you guys like gnomes here is mine..(art by woody)

somthor is my 65th warrior and oowee is my 65th cleric

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]

posted 12-02-2003 08:54:14 PM
non gnome but as long as we are posting art

this is Defies Gravity my 65th beast lord

again with a darker background

Im confused as always[xIMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/356687/somthorsig3.JPG[/img]
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-02-2003 08:56:33 PM
You play EQ way too much, Somthor.

posted 12-02-2003 09:02:09 PM
yes my wife recently asked me to stop playing said she was a EQ widow.

those were my 3 mains as it were.. I also had a 65th pala gnome 65th gnome mage 65th hi elf enchanter 65th Barb shaman

a 65th ogre warrior 62nd dwarf cleric 62nd wizard necro
65th rogue and a bunch of lower level twinks, mostly for PL purposes

Now I have gone into semi retirement and am trying to fill the void with EC

I can dig up a druid pic that woody did for me if you wnat to see it

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-03-2003 09:53:43 PM
Sure, Moogle, I'll give drawing you a shot. Never drawn a wee gunslinger before...should be fun.

Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 12-03-2003 10:19:45 PM
Gnomes!

I would ask for a picture, but there is nothing outstanding about Anklebiter.

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-04-2003 12:21:58 AM
That first guy is awesome.

I wish I could sit down with someone that can draw and just pay them to draw my ideas...so many I have for characters...

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-04-2003 01:21:02 AM
I've been playing with the idea of assymetrical armor a lot lately. It seems to work better, from a certain logic. If you're wearing lightweight armor (and even, I imagine, heavier armor), you're more likely to favor one arm or the other as the "defensive" arm, and one as the "offensive" arm. One will need more mobility, one will be more defensive.

In the case of Barbarossa (the first pic), he wears relatively light armor, skulks around, and uses one primary weapon. In the case of Quelith (a ways further down, in the black armor), he relies on his mobility and stealth to survive, so he's piecemealed some fairly light armor together. On the other hand, Invictus (the second) is a fairly heavy hitter who dual wields, so his armor is pretty evenly spaced and of equal thickness over most of his body. I would have given him a helmet, but for the purposes of that pic, the thick mane of white hair (he's an ancient, ancient human kept alive through dark magics) seemed more dramatic.

In any case, assymetrical armor is 1. easier to draw (having the exact same thing on both sides inevitably coughs up obvious imbalances in how the mirrored side is drawn), 2. more interesting to draw (don't end up getting bored with mimicking the fine detail you've already drawn on one side), and 3. helps me better identify a character in my own mind.

As for getting someone to draw pics...I can't speak for, say, Fae or Ares or Broadzilla or any of the other doodlers around the boards, but I know I have to be in the right mindset or mood, with something fermented in my mind, to get it going. That or I have to have absolutely nothing on my mind. The Buddha Lyinar pic was something I just sketched on a piece of paper while absently watching something. I had the vague idea of Lyinar and how she was always so happy carrying a baby in the back of my mind, but it didn't slip to the forefront of my thinking til most of the picture was done. I have no idea how professional artists who make a living drawing are able to willfully conjure up the mojo on demand.

[ 12-04-2003: Message edited by: Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-04-2003 11:26:11 AM
I just realized I hadn't posted in this thread telling you how wonderful your art was yet, dear

*smooches her panda bear*

You always do a beautiful job. I love them all.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: