EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Timeline (the movie) Review
nem-x
posted 11-30-2003 06:55:24 AM
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-30-2003 07:21:24 AM

I really loved the book. And IIRC, you've read it too, haven't you? This does not bode well for my enjoyment of it.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-30-2003 01:20:43 PM
Okay...let me put it this way...is it a "Go see it in theaters" movie? Or a "wait for DVD" movie? or "keep it out of your house, lest it corrupt the children, your parents, and your pet cats" movie?
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 11-30-2003 02:58:16 PM
I loved the book. Just the trailers on TV make me not want to go see it. Bleh.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-30-2003 03:09:37 PM
It was predictable and I never read the book. (There was a book? Hm. I'd like to read that)

The movie itself, though, I actually did like. It wasn't the greatest movie in the world, but I enjoyed it. Believe me, it kicked the crap out of "The Order."

I'd recommend seeing it. If you're leery, then see it for matinee prices

Drysart
Pancake
posted 11-30-2003 03:57:07 PM
b& for timeline
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 11-30-2003 04:03:30 PM
I think the movie was real choppy and the scenes transitions from present to past were really poor. Along with that, I think that whomever casted this movie should die. Paul Walker is by far the last person I would put in that movie.
Even though the explosion were sweet ass, there is no way that Timeline can be called a good movie.
The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 11-30-2003 05:00:33 PM
Nothing will compare with the explanation of why the machine works in Timeline(the book). Things like that make me love Michael Chrichton.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 11-30-2003 05:54:59 PM
From what I have heard, wait until a discount video store has it for a dollar.

Then rent it.

it's not worth the 5 buck Blockbuster rental fee.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 11-30-2003 06:20:44 PM
quote:
ToastedFritters impressed everyone with:
transitions from present to past were really poor

So, this movie has something in common with your posts?

In one sentence you went from present to past to present to past.

[ 11-30-2003: Message edited by: Oscar 3/Xray 1 ]

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 11-30-2003 06:26:08 PM
quote:
Bajah spewed forth this undeniable truth:
It was predictable and I never read the book. (There was a book? Hm. I'd like to read that)

Yep, Michael Crichton's Timeline. Fantastic book, and I'm really really sorry to hear the movie doesn't live up to it. Definitely should read that sometime.

I've played the game a little, and it's not the best game in the world, but it's decent. It's a computer game version that came out a while ago.

nem-x
posted 11-30-2003 07:28:46 PM
They cut out a lot of stuff.

-Hardly any character development
-No explanation of how other dimensions could exist and all the other good stuff
-Only 6 hours to return back instead of the 37, which automatically takes a huge chunk out of the story
-The ITC portions were very very brief, and the fix to the machine was left unexplained.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 11-30-2003 07:33:44 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when nem-x wrote:

-The ITC portions were very very brief, and the fix to the machine was left unexplained.

Seriously? I would have thought that the bit with the cars was really cinematic and would have gone over well.

Not surprised they cut the "It's not time travel, it's space travel" bit though....but man I would have loved to see some of the less intelligent people at my school try to figure that one out.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 11-30-2003 08:05:34 PM
Man.....the multiverse idea was one of the best parts. The thing I really liked most about the book was that while it's not entirely possible just yet in the world, the science was plausible, based on a real world concept. To take out that and just leave that up in the air really takes away from it all.

Looks like this will be another $.50 theater one, and then Adam and I will double feature and go see something else afterward to make our brains stop hurting.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-30-2003 10:05:03 PM
Having never read the book and only seeing the movie, I enjoyed it.

As for knowing how book to movie translations can be, I can see why people might not like it.

I'll have to read the book, then. It sounds like it would be a really damn good story

Lalamile
My title doesn't even make sense any more
posted 11-30-2003 10:08:33 PM
Meh
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 12-01-2003 12:06:57 AM
It was ok, just a fairly fun movie I thought.

But then again, the only BAD movie out now is the Cat and the Hat.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-01-2003 11:04:07 AM
quote:
Verily, Inferno-Spirit doth proclaim:
Nothing will compare with the explanation of why the machine works in Timeline(the book). Things like that make me love Michael Chrichton.

Michael rules

The movie was okay... I didn't have to pay for it, so it was worth it to me.

edit: Yes, I have read the book, and yes it was much, much better.

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: