EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: ART THIEVES
Ares
posted 11-17-2003 09:46:38 PM
Those fuckers must die. I get this e-mail today...

"Hi i´am currently working on an web os project ( www.project-io.org/project-io.beta
) i´am also a great fan of your art and would like to use one of your
characters ( http://www.deviantart.com/view/3625178/ - Happy Demonic
Halloween ) as a mascot for my project. Currently i´am making no money
with this so i can´t pay you ( this may change soon ).

If you allow me to use your art please contact me.

Greetings Ronny Stiftel"

Too back this fuck nut posted my art BEFORE fucking well asking me. AND he removed my signature AND didn't even link or credit me!

And now, I'm posting his e-mail. evill33t@linux.net

And if any one of you fools see this as a "form of flattery"...Stealing isn't flattery!

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: Ares ]

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-17-2003 09:48:22 PM
I think that you're preaching to the choir on this board, Ares. There's a lot of artist types here who would be furious if someone stole their work.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lalamile
My title doesn't even make sense any more
posted 11-17-2003 09:48:32 PM
Breathe

Welcome to the internet.

While you main own the art, and deserive due credit, it's the nature of the beast. Look at half the post Icons, is someone being paid so we can use them... No. Once again, its the nature of the beast.

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: Sashu ]

Ares
posted 11-17-2003 09:50:14 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Sashu said:
Breathe

Welcome to the internet.

While you main own the art, and deserive due credit, it's the nature of the beast. Look at half the post Icons, is someone being paid so we can use them... No. Once again, its the nature of the beast.

Why do you think that I use my own work?

Alaan
posted 11-17-2003 09:50:23 PM
You have any copyright notices laying around your site?
Ares
posted 11-17-2003 09:51:13 PM
quote:
Alaan stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
You have any copyright notices laying around your site?

He got it off of deviant art which has strict rules about such things

Alaan
posted 11-17-2003 09:51:25 PM
quote:
Ares had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Why do you think that I use my own work?

I am proud to say that I had this picture made for me and have the right to use it.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 11-17-2003 09:54:49 PM
I hereby declare that I stole this picture from someone on SA and made it my own.
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 11-17-2003 09:55:57 PM
I've had my art stolen many times.

Seen it on sites, someone else saying it was theirs.

I just write the webmaster, they take it down or credit me.

Pisses me off though that people do that. It kept me from putting stuff up on any site for a long time. But, I know what work I did, I know people are going to steal it if they think they can get away with it. So, I will just keep doing what I have been.

Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 11-17-2003 09:56:59 PM
You'll know you're an accomplished artist when people start cutting your work up for PSP tubes.
Sean
posted 11-17-2003 09:57:47 PM
My sigpic is blatantly stolen from Ragnarok Online.

I don't think anyone will mind.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Ares
posted 11-17-2003 09:58:22 PM
It just bugs me.. If people took 5 minutes out of their time to ask me and give me a little link or something.. that's fine.

Just the other day, I allowed someone to use one of my CGs for their website. No big deal. They linked me and e-mailed me and everything.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-17-2003 10:01:06 PM
Wish my art was worth stealin!
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 11-17-2003 10:06:11 PM
Sean, Delid, Sashu...the difference between the cases you're citing and this is that you are not pretending to have created the icon/avatar yourself, are you? You're not taking credit for any of this...but this person is acting as though they drew it themselves. That is just morally wrong, and Ares has a right to be pisseded.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 11-17-2003 10:11:17 PM
Why do you hate my project-IO so much? had I known you'd react this badly I'd have never have done it!
The World is Yours
Ares
posted 11-17-2003 10:12:39 PM
quote:
Liam had this to say about Cuba:
Why do you hate my project-IO so much? had I known you'd react this badly I'd have never have done it!

*bites Liam*

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 11-17-2003 10:19:46 PM
That really really sucks ashley!

btw, where's my portrait!?

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 11-17-2003 10:28:04 PM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about Pirotess:
I am proud to say that I had this picture made for me and have the right to use it.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-17-2003 10:34:44 PM
If you don't want him to use it, politely ask him to turn it off. It was wrong of him to use it before your ok, but by the nature of the e-mail, if you politely told him that you are flattered he is using it but request that he take it down for personal reasons, I'm sure he will do so.

I understand how annoying plagiarism can be, but this can probably be corrected without much conflict

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-18-2003 05:32:36 AM
How is this different from stealing music?

Duh, duh, dunnnnn!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

nem-x
posted 11-18-2003 05:57:34 AM
At least he was nice enough to send you an e-mail asking to see if he could use the picture.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-18-2003 08:36:18 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Knight Rider:

Duh, duh, dunnnnn!

talk about trying to egg people on, are we? for a starting artist, such as my friend from third mine getting something of his coppied on a website without permission, it is no diffrent.

for a larger, well known band, this is an entirely diffrent issue.

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 11-18-2003 08:39:42 AM
quote:
diadem had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
talk about trying to egg people on, are we? for a starting artist, such as my friend from third mine getting something of his coppied on a website without permission, it is no diffrent.

Theft is theft. Don't try to justify it.

hey
Mod
Pancake
posted 11-18-2003 08:47:10 AM
quote:
Bloodsage probably says this to all the girls:

Duh, duh, dunnnnn!

Well wouldn't this be more like someone pretending to have written a song and using it in some commercial publication? The aequivalent to downloading a song would probably be sneaking a camera into a gallery and taking photos of the displayed works then looking at them at home.

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited by: Shazorx / Modrakien ]

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Alaan
posted 11-18-2003 09:09:35 AM
quote:
Shazorx / Modrakien thought about the meaning of life:
Well wouldn't this be more like someone pretending to have written a song and using it in some commercial publication? The aequivalent to downloading a song would probably be sneaking a camera into a gallery and taking photos of the displayed works then looking at them at home.

Or saying heres my work in X gallery.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 11-18-2003 09:14:20 AM
quote:
Man, who wouldn't want to be Bloodsage:

Duh, duh, dunnnnn!

When you download mp3s you generally leave the artist's name and song title on the file?

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-18-2003 09:38:51 AM
My general attitude towards artwork is that, if you know who made it, you should give them credit. Asking permission is nice to do as well, but better-known artists would get flooded with emails if everyone asked, so that's a mixed bag. Never take credit yourself for work someone else did; if you don't know where it came from, then don't claim to know, and say you don't know if anyone asks. Maybe someone will even tell you, and then you'll know.

However, that's just for little personal things. If you're doing anything that involves monetary or other profit, you must legally give the artist credit, and get their permission to use their work. The reason is that, if you don't have their permission, you're basically stealing money from them. The original artist is fully within his or her rights to say, "I see you're using my artwork to make money. I want half of everything you earned using my art, or I'll see you in court."

It makes me somewhat reluctant to make any graphical changes to the website at the company where I work.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Maradon!
posted 11-18-2003 09:42:27 AM
quote:
Jens had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Theft is theft. Don't try to justify it.

Yes, but there's theft I care about and theft I don't

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 11-18-2003 09:48:56 AM
quote:
Maradon! obviously shouldn't have said:

No one is asking you to care.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 11-18-2003 10:01:38 AM
quote:
Ares is attacking the darkness!
He got it off of deviant art which has strict rules about such things
Email DeviantArt about the offense. They may decide to press charges. After all, if it's stolen against their policy and they refuse to do anything about it, then they are considered at fault as well.

And since the publisher is using your art for a product (even an open-source product), they're technically stealing for corporate use. Think about how much money is made using the Linux Penguin graphic, if you need an example.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-18-2003 10:57:38 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, diadem absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:

So what you're saying is it's okay to steal from rich people, but not from poor people?

Interesting.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-18-2003 11:05:36 AM
quote:
Bloodsage said this about your mom:
So what you're saying is it's okay to steal from rich people, but not from poor people?

Interesting.

Onose! You've turned Bloodsage into Robin Hood! ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Aaron (the good one)
posted 11-18-2003 11:34:07 AM
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-18-2003 11:36:21 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about dark elf butts:

Only if you steal what to the artist is just a few cents. Music pirates are fighting to stop the MAN, baby!

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 11-18-2003 11:36:30 AM

HARRRRRRRR
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 11-18-2003 11:44:25 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:

What you care about doesn't really matter here. It's theft. Don't try to justify theft, you're retarded if you try.

hey
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-18-2003 11:45:49 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Jens wrote:
What you care about doesn't really matter here. It's theft. Don't try to justify theft, you're retarded if you try.

How about the ol' "stealing a loaf of bread to feed your starving family" thing, eh? Even JESUS said that's okay.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-18-2003 11:56:08 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Robocop:

Duh, duh, dunnnnn!

No no, you don't get. Stealing art from someone we do know is BAAAAAaaad! Like, really.

Stealing software and music from rich programmers and artists on the other hand, isn't. You know, those people who have so much money that they eat MILLION DOLLAR bills for breakfast.

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited by: Tarquinn ]

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-18-2003 11:57:21 AM
Now now, we all know stealing software is bad.
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 11-18-2003 12:20:49 PM
Theft is theft. It is what it is, no matter the situation or the mindset of those participating in it.

However, if your personal moral compass allows you leeway to commit theft of intellectual property that you think is being protected through abusive legal activity, I don't fault you. I won't exactly be surprised if something bad happens to you because of it, because the law's like that, but I won't criticize your decision.

Now, for the actual point of the thread:

The random person above... Did he say "no" once you asked him to take it down, because you had not given him your permission? If he complied with your request, I'd imagine he was just being far too optimistic about what your reply would be. He took it down, per your demand, and all is well. Don't worry about it. There are other things that you can better spend your time on than simply being annoyed at an idiot.

If he hasn't taken it down yet, go after him with every legal option you have. The law is on your side, especially since he has altered the work to remove your signature on it - which can be legally-construed as misrepresentation of the work as his own. You are not in the wrong at all for attempting to protect your created property.

I hope it's the former, because the latter takes a lot of work. Especially if the guy is in another country.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: