EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Transplanted Rurouni Kenshin discussion.
MorbId
Pancake
posted 07-04-2003 12:19:22 AM
I've just kind of jumped into this series; until recently, I had to work while it was on. Still, I've been really impressed by its style, and am curious about the general backstory.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Keeping spoilers to a minimum or at least blacked out would be good.

This is also an appropriate place to condemn certain characters or praise others, if you so desire.

[ 07-04-2003: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Aoshi Shinomori
Pancake
posted 07-04-2003 01:15:51 AM
Aoshi rules

Rules ALL.

If anyone ever, EVER insults Aoshi...

Kaiten...(you all know what comes next)

Kaiten Kenbu...
---

Time...chose the one who should live...
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 07-05-2003 01:30:57 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on MorbId!
Still, I've been really impressed by its style, and am curious about the general backstory.

Go pick up the Samurai X OAVs.

They put the TV series to shame when it comes to style.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-07-2003 11:09:37 AM
Backstory as I know it: Kenshin about ten years back, was a top-notch assassin/samurai for the Magi government that was trying to overthrow the current ruling Shogunates. He was infamous for this deadliness and skill. Soon he had a epiphany(sp) that what he was doing was wrong and his heart wept for those that he had slaughtered. He quit his job as a "Manslayer" and has been over the last ten years trying to makeup for all the lives he has taken by protecting the weak and innocent. He has sworn to never take another life.

Throughout the series varying villians pop up that Kenshin and his friends have to fight, some of his friends start out as enemies as well. Nearly all of these villians are fighting to destroy the Magi government and return Japan to the days of the Shogunate. Some of the villians are actually old enemies/aqquaintances from back in Kenshin's days as a Manslayer. The series starts to weave the plot together as Kenshin learns that Shioshio(your sigpic Morbid), who took over Kenshin's job as Manslayer when he quit and was later betrayed and burned alive by the Imperialist that he fought for, is trying to destroy the Magi government and most of Japan in the process. He sets off on a journey to best Shioshio in combat and stop his evil plot.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Whitewolf
Pancake
posted 07-08-2003 01:08:24 PM
Rant time. CN ruined Kenshin. For one, the voices are all wrong, second they took out Kenshin's famous 'oro' and replaced it with a lame 'huh'. Kind of pathetic. Next they pronounced Aoshi's name wrong. Making it sound like Oshi. Or Yoshi. They ruined the oniwabanshu, calling it the Oniwaban Group. Very very lame. It just.. doesn't sound right at all. Next thing. They ruined the blood and all. For example when Saitou stabs Sano, they do a close up on where he was bleeding, yet you see nothing. Yet they still have the sound of dripping blood, which any RK fan would know by heart
Lets see here. What next to complain about how stupid dubbers do things. Well they didn't even sync the voices with the lips, so you get a lot of talking, but no sound coming from the lips as they move.

Ok I think that is it for me.... For now. Until I get more stuff to complain about.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-08-2003 03:36:15 PM
quote:
Whitewolf obviously shouldn't have said:
Next they pronounced Aoshi's name wrong. Making it sound like Oshi. Or Yoshi. They ruined the oniwabanshu, calling it the Oniwaban Group.

Wait...they did WHAT?!

I never watched it because I HATE dubbed, but you're telling me they fucked with Aoshi?

Oh sweet Christ

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Whitewolf
Pancake
posted 07-09-2003 01:55:26 AM
quote:
Wait...they did WHAT?!

I never watched it because I HATE dubbed, but you're telling me they fucked with Aoshi?

Oh sweet Christ

Yup sorry OP, but they royally fucked Aoshi up. And it gets better, Aoshi's technique... They called it: Watersword Technique!

Oh also, please. PLEASE dont say the dubbed name. Just call it Kenshin OAV...

[ 07-09-2003: Message edited by: Whitewolf ]

MorbId
Pancake
posted 07-10-2003 01:33:29 PM
Many thanks, Katrinity. Between your summary and seeing a lot more episodes, the story makes sense to me now.

OP and Whitewolf, though.. you confuse me. Things are going to be changed when a series is presented on TV; it's more or less inevitable.

I'd say CN has done a good job of it, and that Kenshin's dub in general is high quality. While the changes you mention are irritating and arbitrary, they really are fairly minor as well, and don't destroy the series as a whole.

[ 07-10-2003: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-10-2003 02:05:28 PM
quote:
MorbId had this to say about Tron:
OP and Whitewolf, though.. you confuse me. Things are going to be changed when a series is presented on TV; it's more or less inevitable.

I'd say CN has done a good job of it, and that Kenshin's dub in general is high quality. While the changes you mention are irritating and arbitrary, they really are fairly minor as well, and don't destroy the series as a whole.

Don't mind OP. He does this with everything. The minute something is changed, he starts screaming "OMG WHY WHY WHY! THEE HAVE FORSAKEN ME LORD! HOW COULD THEY HAVE KENSHIN'S HAIR ONE PIXEL SHADE DARKER THAN THE JAPANESE VERSION!! AAHRHAHHDAHDAHHHAH" and so on and so on.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-10-2003 05:50:38 PM
quote:
Whitewolf had this to say about John Romero:
Yup sorry OP, but they royally fucked Aoshi up. And it gets better, Aoshi's technique... They called it: Watersword Technique!

Oh also, please. PLEASE dont say the dubbed name. Just call it Kenshin OAV...

Watersword techinque Thats a blatent lie and you know it. if you are just going to decieve OP to get a reaction then stop. OP, they called it by its proper Japanese name in the dub and he still did his signature Kaiten Kenbu when he completed the move as for WW, if you refuse to hear that the name is pronounced correctly in the dub, thats your own problem.

Admitted there are time when blood has been ackwardly blotted out and it is refered top as the Oniwaban group*Which really isn't THAT big a deal*. The series really didn't lose any of its glamor. Beside Trigun, this has been the MOST well respected anime when it came to the TV cable editting. As the series progressed the censor seemed to actually become more and more slacked. Especially the Kyoto arce which many feared would just be five minute long episoids after all the cuts But guess what IT ISN"T BAD!!!! OP, If you are worried that people will try to act like the are big RK know it alls in the furture, I doubt it. Those kind of people only watch such boring and unimaginative fighting shows like DBZ. They aren't interested in such consepts as REALISTIC fighting, speeches BEFORE battle not during, and grey area charachters, not carbone cut copy heroes and villian. It doesn't have the blatant flashiness of pokemon, YuGiOh or DBZ, so only people who really appreciate high quality anime are really going to watch and enjoy for what it is. Just be calmn, the fact that it is on american television and editted won't cause your precious subbed copies to burst into flames and never come back. End Rant

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-10-2003 09:19:58 PM
Alright, cool beans Vise

And, oh yeah, so what Kat?! SO WHAT?!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-11-2003 03:58:08 AM
Go Vise!

Myself I didnt like how they cut out Wolfwood yelling damnit after leaving his gun on the bus, with all the fuss over adult swim being for 18+ it seems silly.

And the lack of the real opening intro. I know you guys are saying that little changes arent bad, but the Trigun opening is kickass.

And whats everyones problem with DBZ? The episodes where they dont fight, and the ones where they fight in the world martial arts tourneyments are pretty cool.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-11-2003 09:34:58 AM
quote:
OtakuPenguin enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Alright, cool beans Vise

<stuffs OP with cookies!>

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Alaan
posted 07-11-2003 07:44:54 PM
And unless they wacked the dub it was Meijii(Sp? I know horrible time for a mispell...) instead of Magi. Nothing major, I just felt it should be pointed out.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 07-12-2003 01:42:50 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Alaan was all like:
And unless they wacked the dub it was Meijii(Sp? I know horrible time for a mispell...) instead of Magi. Nothing major, I just felt it should be pointed out.

Most likely, thats just how I hear it said.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-12-2003 10:26:33 PM
quote:
OtakuPenguin was naked while typing this:
Alright, cool beans Vise

Its cool, word up bro...Yo Yo Yo......Man I am so white

Whitewolf
Pancake
posted 07-15-2003 08:13:31 AM
quote:
Vise the Stompy said:
Watersword techinque Thats a blatent lie and you know it. if you are just going to decieve OP to get a reaction then stop. OP, they called it by its proper Japanese name in the dub and he still did his signature Kaiten Kenbu when he completed the move as for WW, if you refuse to hear that the name is pronounced correctly in the dub, thats your own problem.

Admitted there are time when blood has been ackwardly blotted out and it is refered top as the Oniwaban group*Which really isn't THAT big a deal*. The series really didn't lose any of its glamor. Beside Trigun, this has been the MOST well respected anime when it came to the TV cable editting. As the series progressed the censor seemed to actually become more and more slacked. Especially the Kyoto arce which many feared would just be five minute long episoids after all the cuts But guess what IT ISN"T BAD!!!! OP, If you are worried that people will try to act like the are big RK know it alls in the furture, I doubt it. Those kind of people only watch such boring and unimaginative fighting shows like DBZ. They aren't interested in such consepts as REALISTIC fighting, speeches BEFORE battle not during, and grey area charachters, not carbone cut copy heroes and villian. It doesn't have the blatant flashiness of pokemon, YuGiOh or DBZ, so only people who really appreciate high quality anime are really going to watch and enjoy for what it is. Just be calmn, the fact that it is on american television and editted won't cause your precious subbed copies to burst into flames and never come back. End Rant

I am a huge anime buff and fan. And I feel hurt when you doubt me. So now I shall go cry.

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-15-2003 02:01:39 PM
quote:
Whitewolf was naked while typing this:
I am a huge anime buff and fan. And I feel hurt when you doubt me. So now I shall go cry.

And yet you confused Usui with Anji in another thread concerning RK

Whitewolf
Pancake
posted 07-15-2003 07:56:51 PM
quote:
And yet you confused Usui with Anji in another thread concerning RK

Well... erm.. Even the best have mistakes some times........

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: