EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I'm new to anime mostly...
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 02-23-2003 01:06:29 AM
But I LOVED the Cowboy Bepop series I bought. Here's the deal: I've got about 60 dollars to spend on dvd's; and I'd like some suggestions. I've only known discountanimedvd.com for a source, but I'm open to new ones. Any help would be, um...helpful.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 02-23-2003 03:43:48 AM
Depends on what genre you're looking at...I can recommend something for just about every genre from sci-fi to romance...no yaoi though.
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 02-23-2003 09:22:29 AM
I know my first series was Neon Genisis: Evangelion... however, being as wacked in comparison to Bebop, you might want to see a few first.

Otherwise, um... ok, I know I was going somewhere with this reply, but I forgot mid-typing... *sigh*

Evenstar
Pancake
posted 02-23-2003 09:46:18 AM
Since you loved Cowboy Bebop(ok most people do it rox!) I would say try out Outlaw Star next. It's a good space themed show like CB. If you like space type shows Vandread, Nedesco, Crest of the Stars, and any Gundam series is a good place to start. Gundam Wing is the newest and probably the easiest to understand of that series.
Anime is a lot like live action moves more than cartoons. What type of move you like to see in the theaters is what kind of anime you'll most enjoy.
To be born again for your sake; Blowing the past away on fluttering clouds; Letting the future ride on flowing winds; Fearlessly,unceasingly,patiently -clover
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 02-23-2003 09:59:15 AM
Gundam wing is the third from newest, seed is currently the newest and the second newest is turn a Gundam

I recommend Trigun, mainly becosue like, everyone has to see Trigun, its the law

and I’ve bean wonderings for awhile what’s everyone’s obsession with discount anime DVD, its by far the most expensive hk place and its not like their quality, selection or anything is any better then anywhere else, I recommend http://www. cookiejarvideo.com/ (had to add the space or else it claimed it was an html code , just remove it) same hks, but much cheaper, plus they don’t lie claiming the retail price for an anime is 30*the number of legit DVDs when their selling bootlegs that cost retail (in hong kong) about 7 dalla per dvd

Also you must keep in mind some hks are better quality tan others, and they range from perfect to crappy video and unreadable poorly translated subtitles and distort audio, ill try to find the site with the reviews of the dvd quality, not sure where it is right now tough, sorry

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 02-23-2003 06:02:22 PM
Hmm, some others....Gunbuster, Star Blazers, Macross(Robotech), Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Sol Bianca, and Dirty Pair are all worth checking out, though some are a bit older.
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 02-23-2003 06:15:13 PM
quote:
Evenstar spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Since you loved Cowboy Bebop(ok most people do it rox!)

I don't! Muahaha. Ha haha haha.

And therefore, I can make no suggestions for the Rodent that stares. It's forever staring! Why can't it just leave me...alone!

Feed my hungry soul.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 02-25-2003 02:44:36 PM
quote:
Ragabash had this to say about pies:
I can make no suggestions for the Rodent that stares. It's forever staring! Why can't it just leave me...alone!

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 02-25-2003 07:11:51 PM
I still can't make suggestions for the Rodent that jiggles. It's forever jiggling!

Feed my hungry soul.
MorbId
Pancake
posted 02-25-2003 08:44:31 PM
If you wish to have your brain filled with metaphysical musings, constant symbolism, and general confusion, look up Neon Genesis Evangelion and Lain.

If you want a less serious version that does not make much more sense, try Excel Saga. If that's not sugary enough, look up I Wanna Be An Angel.

For the dark and gothic, Ninja Scroll, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D are hard to beat. Bastard! is also good, but mainly for presenting the lighter side of darkness.

Record of Lodoss War and Fushigi Yugi are the only real fantasy epics I know of. PRincess Mononoke feels epic because it's long and ambitious, but that's not a bad thing. Orphen is also good, if much less traditional.

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 02-25-2003 09:02:42 PM
quote:
MorbId's fortune cookie read:
Record of Lodoss War and Fushigi Yugi are the only real fantasy epics I know of.

What about Slyaers? Or is that more of a comedy than a fantasy epic to you?

Feed my hungry soul.
MorbId
Pancake
posted 02-25-2003 09:15:43 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Ragabash:
What about Slyaers? Or is that more of a comedy than a fantasy epic to you?

I haven't seen it all and managed to forget it.

My shame is immense. Slayers is excellent and very epic. But it manages to do so while poking fun at epics that take themselves so very seriously.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 02-25-2003 10:00:58 PM
Some good suggestions above.

I'd add to the list:
Bubblegum Crisis: MegaTokyo 2040. (Sci-Fi, Cyberpunk type feel)

Chobits (comedy)

Tenchi (Universe and Muyo) (Good mix of Sci-Fi and comedy)

Cheese
Pancake
posted 02-26-2003 08:32:26 AM
Fushigi Yuugi is my favorite series...I don't know if you'd like it though.
You might want to try Ranma 1/2 or Trigun.
**~*Pink Sugar Heart Attack!*~**
Alaan
posted 02-27-2003 09:45:19 AM
A short series I liked was Gunsmith Cats. Only 3 eps, so probably one DVD. Basically 3 badass female bounty hunters hunting some people down in Chicago. Good action and pretty funny at times.

Another horribly short but hilarious show is Dragon-Half. Two episodes of fantasy mocking hilarity.

Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 03-04-2003 05:51:28 PM
Try and and all of the Gundam Series if you like Sci-Fi type of stuff, Outlaw Star would also be good!

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
liquidsub
I LIKE TO STEAL STUFF. THIS POST IS PROBABLY ABOUT HOW ITS SILLY TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN JUST DOWNLOAD FOR FREE
posted 03-19-2003 02:22:30 PM
Berserk yo! (Check out my avator, it's a Berserk pic. Look how cool it is, the picture alone tells you how great it is).
DVD Fansub Distribution: www.liquidanime.com
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-21-2003 10:11:01 AM
Yes. Berserk is great fantasy war-fare anime ^.^

Slayers, Record of the Lodoss War, Love Hina, Trigun are all good animes ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 03-22-2003 02:11:02 PM
Armitage III: Poly-matrix. It's cheap and it awsome.
Peter
Pancake
posted 03-23-2003 10:23:04 PM
quote:
Mog had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Gundam wing is the third from newest, seed is currently the newest and the second newest is turn a Gundam

I belive It's either Wing or 8th MS team that is the "newest" Gundam shows to be released state side....And you forgot X

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-25-2003 11:43:25 PM
Record of Lodoss War
Venus War
Trigun
Any Macross (NOT FRIGGIN' ROBOTECH)
Trigun
Dirty Pair
Ranma 1/2
Trigun
Bastard!
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-02-2003 05:56:33 PM
Trigun, Fushigi Yuugi, Sorcerer Hunters, Revolutionary Girl Utena (just because it's weirder than hell), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Tenchi, Ruins Explorers, Blue Seed, Bastard!, Oh! My Goddess, Outlaw Star and that's all I can recall right now.

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Lyinar Ka`Bael ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: