EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: HELP ME SICKO ANIME FREAKS YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 09-23-2002 06:07:25 AM
Snoota has never watched Anime.

Ever!

So, Snoota is looking for a particular good one to see if he hates it as much as he hates the stupid little anime-style smiley faces people make.

suggestions plz

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Otku
I am no longer an idiot.
posted 09-23-2002 06:59:44 AM
Trigun
MorbId
Pancake
posted 09-23-2002 07:09:40 AM
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

The team that worked on it had both American and Japanese elements, so it's the best of both cultures.

[ 09-23-2002: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 09-23-2002 03:58:27 PM
princess monoke or trigun

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 09-23-2002 04:50:57 PM
MIYUKI-CHAN IN WONDERLAND!!!!
»Waisztarroz«
Pancake
posted 09-23-2002 05:31:27 PM
Cowboy Bebop.
I <3 Steel Battalion!
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 09-23-2002 05:38:18 PM
Depends on what genre you're looking for Snoota, I'll give you some high-octane ones to start off on. Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Doomed Megalopolis, Trigun later episodes, Record of The Lodoss War. Most of those are heavy in violence/action, so I'd figure that would be the ones you'd go after first, but if you want any different recommendations, just PM me or OP.
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Tier
posted 09-23-2002 09:39:09 PM
Akira makes many non-fans bitter. Unless they're real high on crack and like destroyed buildings.

Record of Lodoss War is the best (and one of the only) fantasy anime to exist.

Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are both sci-fi-ish, and with stylish heroes and stuff.

Mog
posted 09-23-2002 10:48:26 PM
quote:
Asha'man had this to say about John Romero:
Record of Lodoss War is the best

berserks better

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 09-24-2002 12:03:14 AM
Rurouni Kenshin is a GREAT beginner anime.
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 09-24-2002 12:11:23 PM
Record of Lodoss War is the way to go. It's everything EQ wishes its "plot lines" could be.

High Fantasy, and very Epic.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 09-24-2002 09:38:26 PM
I can not answer without knowing your taste in movies.

Comedy, action, drama, fuck with your head, sex, creepy? Sci fi, fantasy, present? Cutesy, deadly serious, blend?

Feed my hungry soul.
Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 09-26-2002 09:18:11 PM
quote:
The Otaku Penguin thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I didn't like the earlier eppisodes much though... But it does get quite good. Just have to get into the feel of it.

Moo.
Razor
posted 09-27-2002 02:57:40 AM
quote:
MorbId had this to say about Tron:
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

The team that worked on it had both American and Japanese elements, so it's the best of both cultures.

Notice: Origional Language was English then Dubbed into Japanese

it = uber

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Alaan
posted 09-29-2002 09:17:50 PM
quote:
Razor had this to say about Cuba:
Notice: Origional Language was English then Dubbed into Japanese

it = uber

That's because the orriginal wasn't really that popular in Japan, but VERY popular here.

Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 10-05-2002 10:50:07 PM
Evangelion and/or cowboy beebop on cartoon network at 11 or 12 on saturday nights. Not evangelion though.
pain is temporary but pride is forever
Steven Steve
posted 10-07-2002 03:07:40 AM
KAITEN KENBU
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 10-09-2002 04:16:37 AM
Trigun is more western/gunslinger, not so much sci-fi. Neon Genesis Evangelion is an excellent anime. Outlaw Star is very good as well.

I also like Blue Seed, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Vampire Princess Miyu.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 10-25-2002 06:16:09 PM
Your nuts Janus.
Hatazaru Gitiza
Pancake
posted 10-26-2002 10:51:48 PM
For Hentai: Dragon Pink, Elven Bride

Serious: D, D Bloodlust, Evangelion,
Kenshin OAV, Cowboy Bebop.

Funny but serious: Inuyasha, Kenshin, Robotech, Trigun (LATER eps).

Pure Funny: Slayers, Dragon Half, Magical Knight Rayearth, Trigun (Earier, but the only good part was the cat), Demon Hunters, Elven Hunters, Dragonball (FAN-SUBBED), Any Anime in french.

Evenstar
Pancake
posted 10-27-2002 04:14:50 AM
All of the above..but don't forget the classic Akira. My personal fav. is Rurouni Kenshin but it's a hella long series. You might want to start with the movies first. And whatever you start with get the real thing(uncut).
To be born again for your sake; Blowing the past away on fluttering clouds; Letting the future ride on flowing winds; Fearlessly,unceasingly,patiently -clover
Dave
)_(
posted 11-05-2002 08:36:38 PM
Those who hunt elfs
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-10-2002 10:41:13 AM
Evangelion was the first ever anime that I watched. Definitely a must-see. Princess Mononoke was bad-ass. Record of Lodoss War was good. Magic Knight Rayearth was ok, if a little too sappy/cutesy. All the Slayers seasons were penultimate ecstacy. Never watched Sailor Moon, never watched DBZ. Same goes for trigun and cowboy bebop. Grave of the Fireflies = major suckage. Akira was ok, but not one of my favorites, would recommend seeing a few other anime first. Blue Seed was good. Samurai X(precursor to Ruroani Kenshin, which I plan to get started on sometime soon) was freaking awesome. Vampire Hunter D was ok, Vampire Princess Miyu was ok. Those Who Hunt Elves was hysterical. Soul Hunters was good. Gokudo was pretty funny. GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka) was funny, though I didn't like the facial expression style all that much. Thats all I can think of for now.

Also, Ghost in the Shell, which I really didn't go for, but some like it.

[ 11-10-2002: Message edited by: Star Collective ]

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 11-10-2002 12:48:15 PM
Never did see EVA or Trigun. Mononoke is awesome, if only for the little clicky head guys

Akira confused the hell out of me and from what I gathered by watching Ghost in the Shell, all technology radiates from boobies.

I rented Record of Lodoss War yesterday, so I might be able to say a little about it later. I highly reccomend Cowboy Bebop and Hack Sign.

Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 11-12-2002 01:52:33 AM
Personally, probably the first anime I ever saw was Venus Wars, which I didn't realize at the time was on the SciFi channel on Saturday mornings. They even played (*slightly edited*) Akira. At this time, I didn't know much / anything of anime, but since then... Venus Wars is one of my favorites, thought it is far from the quality of Eva/Cowboy and other, more recent works.

In other words, Venus Wars is a nice one also.

Gegween
Pancake
posted 11-12-2002 08:25:14 AM
the best anime for "beginners" has to be Nadesico. Theres about 10 movies or so, two epissodes on each one...20$ each uncut at suncoast and places like that
CBTao
Pancake
posted 11-14-2002 01:39:08 AM
quote:
So quoth OtakuPenguin:

I disagree, I loath Ruroni Kenshin, goddamn sappy giddy shit...

Now Samurai X, thats a fuckin anime

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 11-14-2002 08:48:11 AM
What about sex?

Lots of poorly drawn, over exagerated b00bies!

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 11-14-2002 02:56:33 PM
F3
Feed my hungry soul.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 11-14-2002 03:58:24 PM
wtf.. I downloaded a Hentai out of sheer morbid curiosity.

This guy was kidnapped and raped by some Harpie, and he couldn't have sex with his wife because her pussy was too tight.

Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 11-14-2002 04:15:09 PM
quote:
Comrade Snoota's account was hax0red to write:
wtf.. I downloaded a Hentai out of sheer morbid curiosity.

This guy was kidnapped and raped by some Harpie, and he couldn't have sex with his wife because her pussy was too tight.

The Japanese are a lot more... liberal in their pursuit of weird fetishes. It's more accepted there, so people feel free to be weirder than they really are here.

But yeah, you should pretty much avoid hentai unless you're into weird and freaky crap. *Shudder.* Ugh. I still can't get some of those mental images dug out of my retinas. There are negatives to college networks as well as positives...

Mog
posted 11-14-2002 04:24:12 PM
[QUOTE]Star Collective obviously shouldn't have said:
Evangelion was the first ever anime that I watched. Definitely a must-see. Princess Mononoke was bad-ass. Record of Lodoss War was good. Magic Knight Rayearth was ok, if a little too sappy/cutesy. All the Slayers seasons were penultimate ecstacy. Never watched Sailor Moon, never watched DBZ. Same goes for trigun and cowboy bebop. Grave of the Fireflies = major suckage. Akira was ok, but not one of my favorites, would recommend seeing a few other anime first. Blue Seed was good. Samurai X(precursor to Ruroani Kenshin, which I plan to get started on sometime soon) was freaking awesome. Vampire Hunter D was ok, Vampire Princess Miyu was ok. Those Who Hunt Elves was hysterical. Soul Hunters was good. Gokudo was pretty funny. GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka) was funny, though I didn't like the facial expression style all that much. Thats all I can think of for now.

Also, Ghost in the Shell, which I really didn't go for, but some like it.

you say D is only ok?, you question onizukas l33t faciel expressions?, and worst of all, you say Grave of the Fireflies sucks?

whata re you smokeing yo?

- Self Rreliance
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 11-20-2002 06:08:17 PM
I'm sorry, but it did. There was nothing positive in it, just an unrelieved downhill slide with a few mildly bittersweet "awww" scenes along the way. I honestly regret watching it. Grave of the Fireflies did nothing for me.

It was Hans Christian Anderson's Little Match Girl, except there was no vision of Grandma, no God, and no Heaven.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: