EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Akira!!
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-07-2002 12:00:51 AM
I felt that the anime form should kick off with a discussion about one of the coolest anime movies I have ever seen and had the privilage of watching again yesterday, Akira. It has great animiation, tons of excitement, an interesting plot line, and a dash of humor, makes Akira one of the top anime movies of all time. The only downsides to this filmn is it can be confusing at times, and it has one of the highest gore factors of any anime filmn. Regardless, I encourage anybody who is interested to rent it and check it out. *On a sidenote, I didn't realise it until I saw it the second time through, that the main heros voice is done by the same person who does Vash's voice, giveing the movie bonus points^_^*
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 07-07-2002 12:03:14 AM
Akira is a good movie, it's anime cannon, after all, but i wouldn't say it's the be all end all of anime.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 07-07-2002 12:07:44 AM
First anime I have seen and I enjoyed it a lot.. it gave you a great feeling for the city though I feel that the end part was a bit dissapointing
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-07-2002 12:14:26 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Niklas said this:
First anime I have seen and I enjoyed it a lot.. it gave you a great feeling for the city though I feel that the end part was a bit dissapointing

Japan seem to make alot of movies with depressing endings, but its like a Shakespear play, so the movie is still spiffy.

Aoshi Shinomori
Pancake
posted 07-07-2002 12:18:58 AM
I didn't like Akira. At all.
Kaiten Kenbu...
---

Time...chose the one who should live...
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-07-2002 12:22:50 AM
quote:
Aoshi Shinomori had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I didn't like Akira. At all.

Blasephemy! *Mentally Blast Aoshi into oblivion*....Oh Well people are entitled to their opinions

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-07-2002 12:28:42 AM
I am sad to say... I... I... I haven't seen Akira yet!

Runs off into the night, crying

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 07-07-2002 01:05:39 AM
I watched it. I think it was crap.

I believe this best sums it up.

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-07-2002 01:09:03 AM
quote:
Tegadil had this to say about John Romero:

You have 10 seconds to run
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 07-07-2002 01:23:04 AM
Tegadil prances about for 10 seconds.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-07-2002 01:26:43 AM
quote:
Tegadil had this to say about Duck Tales:

That was awesome =p

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 07-07-2002 01:30:34 AM
quote:
Tegadil wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Tegadil prances about for 10 seconds.

*Kills Tegadil in the extreme Akira gorey manor*

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 07-07-2002 03:09:33 AM
Welp you can't fit a thousand plus page comic... er graphic novel into a two hour movie. If I ever find a copy then everything would be clear.
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-07-2002 03:47:06 AM
quote:
Tetsuo: I'm glad Kaneda kept shouting my name. Now I can easily remember it.

OMFG.
That's the best explanation of Akira's final line ever

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 07-07-2002 04:21:46 AM
Akira was just odd.. but in a good way
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-07-2002 08:58:59 AM
I need to see this then I guess, so much controversy. Sounds interesting whether or ot it sucks.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-07-2002 09:39:33 AM
Watched both dubs and subbed. Thought the original dub was crap. Thought the new dub was ok. Subbed was ok also. Either way, its crap compared to the manga.

This movie was really only popular for two reasons. At its release it was equivalent to that of a big budget American movie. It was also the first, or close to it, piece of anime that American audiences were exposed to. Thus Americans look back on it nostigically, like GIJOE or Thundercats, rather than critically. If one were to watch Akira long after they had been exposed to anime, I doubt they'd view it as highly as if it were the opposite.

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: Talonus ]

DS
Perma-Newbie
posted 07-09-2002 02:24:11 AM
Akira, on it's own, was a pretty good movie. Now get some serious alchohol.. and it's groundbreaking!
Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 07-09-2002 09:15:25 AM
tal, most manfas are much better than the anime, not jsut akirq

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: