EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hum.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-10-2003 11:21:59 PM
This is probably NOT the thing to do right now.

Maybe they should wait ten years before they start trying to convert the Iraqi people.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 04-10-2003 11:35:15 PM
[sarcasm]Awwww, come on! Christian fundamentalists mixing it up with Muslim fundamentalists? Whats not to like? [/sarcasm]
The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-10-2003 11:46:25 PM
Exactly.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-11-2003 02:34:48 AM
They should only be able to go at it in a "women's mud wrestling" format.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 04-11-2003 03:05:28 PM
I would laugh very hard f all the christian misoerys come back converte to islam

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-12-2003 05:24:45 AM
"What...you mean we can have more than one wife? We can sleep with more than one chick? Legally? And if we die in the service of the church, we get 47 virgins after our death? Daaaaaamn..."

heh.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-12-2003 11:59:49 AM
Morons. Complete and total Morons.
They have no understanding of the area or the people. THey probably believe that Islam worships a Pagan god.

You can not convert someone who worships the same god you do.

They are going to do more damage to us than anyoen else could.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-13-2003 02:32:40 AM
"Hey christians, we have an updated version! come look!"

Anyway, yes, that is exactly the stupidity I would expect from those particular groups. A nice rule of thumb, shoot missionaries on site.

[ 04-13-2003: Message edited by: Dr. Pvednes, PhD ]

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 04-15-2003 11:54:31 PM
quote:
Dr. Pvednes, PhD had this to say about (_|_):
"Hey christians, we have an updated version! come look!"

Anyway, yes, that is exactly the stupidity I would expect from those particular groups. A nice rule of thumb, shoot missionaries on site.

I take umbrage at this sort of attitude. You sound worse than the people you are trying to condemn. "OMG, these people's opinions differ from mine, they are obviously unenlightened ignorant barabarians!"

And Azizza, hopefully as missionaries they will have recieved at least SOME education about the culture and religion of those they are attempting to convert. Moreover, they should be attempting to help in terms of physical labor. If the locals ask, thats fine, tell them all bout it, but don't try and go pushing it on them. They do that, and they'll get what they deserve.

Moreover, though Catholics and Protestants worship the same God, there are a good number of Protestants converted to Catholicism every year. Obviously, if conversion can occur between two similar belief systems like this, it can certainly occur with Islam. Worshipping the same God does not mean you worship Him in the same way.

The deciding factor here is whether the missionaries have been sufficiently educated not only in their own religion, but in that of the people they are trying to convert. Is ALSO essential that they have a great deal of tact and discretion. So nyah.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. - Ursula K. LeGuin ~ The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-16-2003 01:48:21 AM
Even with tact and discretion, if you try talking to fundamentalist ANYONE about alternate possibilities, you're at best just gonna hit a wall. At worst, they decide that you're an affront to their beliefs and they whack you.

Which is a bad thing, no matter how you slice it.

Beer.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-16-2003 01:17:54 PM
quote:
Star Collective spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Moreover, though Catholics and Protestants worship the same God, there are a good number of Protestants converted to Catholicism every year. Obviously, if conversion can occur between two similar belief systems like this, it can certainly occur with Islam. Worshipping the same God does not mean you worship Him in the same way.

p

Perhaps I should clarify here. The West has many misconceptions about Islam. Most people know little to nothing about it. Many think that Allah is a pagan god of some sort.

I don't have much faith in missionaries. While not all are bad, generaly the people you see pushing this are very close minded. The type that do give Christians a bad name.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Star Collective
Pancake
posted 04-16-2003 01:55:55 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Karnaj wrote:
Even with tact and discretion, if you try talking to fundamentalist ANYONE about alternate possibilities, you're at best just gonna hit a wall. At worst, they decide that you're an affront to their beliefs and they whack you.

Which is a bad thing, no matter how you slice it.

Which is why you don't run over and be all like "OMG, convert pagan sinners!"
You have to wait for them to ask. Let it be their curiousity that brings it about. They WILL ask too. Intelligence and curiousity are intertwined, and I don't doubt that there are at least a few intelligent people over there. Don't be all like "This is how it is, and I'm right and you are wrong." Make sure that they know that they can come to you and you are willing to discuss things in a congenial, civilized manner and they will come.

Besides, even if they don't, you've still done a good Christian thing in helping them out. Thats why missionaries are supposed to help out physically, not just sit around talking. Provide a good example. Get some work done. The whole thing is strung together. People don't respect empty words, but they do respect actions. Thats why you have nuns and Christian organizations running hospitals and shelters and charities.

Before you condemn missionaries, take a look at the incredible works they have accomplished. While not all the things missionaries have done have been good, they have certainly had powerful effects.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-16-2003 04:50:02 PM
Well sure, the moderate Muslims would be open to dicussion, but they're not the ones packing Glocks, ya know? And in the article, it says that in addition to providing aid, the missionaries are required to attempt conversion, not merely discuss things as a matter of course. Given the amount of missionaries going over there, if they all adhere to this policy it could get ugly in certain instances.

On the positive side, the article says the aid packages being prepared will not contain any literature, just basic life necessities, so that's good. Sticking Bibles in with food would probably send a rather sour message to its recipients.

Beer.

Old_Hickory
Pancake
posted 04-16-2003 06:52:06 PM
quote:
I don't have much faith in missionaries. While not all are bad, generaly the people you see pushing this are very close minded. The type that do give Christians a bad name.

Especially those Apostles. Don't forget that guy named Paul either! Worst of the the lot.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-17-2003 05:40:39 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Star Collective:
I take umbrage at this sort of attitude. You sound worse than the people you are trying to condemn. "OMG, these people's opinions differ from mine, they are obviously unenlightened ignorant barabarians!"

I apologise if that's how I was coming across as. I was not refering to Christians in general, I was refering to those who attempt to force their's on others, such as that particular type of fundamentalist. The ones who DO give Christianity a bad name. Those sort are the ones who would appear to be sending their missionaries, and I wish them bad luck. I do not try to force my view down people's throats, and I would like the same in return thank you.

'Iraq is about to be invaded by thousands of U.S. evangelical missionaries who say they are bent on a "spiritual warfare" campaign to convert the country's Muslims to Christianity.' does not sound particularily open minded to me. If it were the aid and a small discussion, that's perfectly fine, but it sounds a bit more like the ones who pester people.

[ 04-17-2003: Message edited by: Dr. Pvednes, PhD ]

Mog
posted 04-20-2003 07:53:01 AM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Optimus Prime:
On the positive side, the article says the aid packages being prepared will not contain any literature, just basic life necessities, so that's good. Sticking Bibles in with food would probably send a rather sour message to its recipients.

Or a realy good one for the starveing children, papers edible, they probpaly cnat read english

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-21-2003 06:39:04 AM
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-21-2003 12:08:51 PM
quote:
How.... Tarquinn.... uughhhhhh:

Heh heh heh. Yep, that's about how it will look, too.

Up untill the first stoning or whatever.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-21-2003 12:58:42 PM
I like the look on that one soldier's face. O_O

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 04-21-2003 01:52:47 PM
Yep, it's great.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-21-2003 07:44:39 PM
Here's my problem with missionaries:

They differ from normal parishioners in that they are actively going out to convert people. If the goal is to do it by example, then they shouldn't be any different from people who go to Church every Sunday. It's like having a car dealer land in your back yard and start telling you (or showing you) how much better your life would be with a car that he's pushing.

The goal should be to live in peace with one another, not establish a spiritual imperialist policy of "Make the world Christian".

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 04-25-2003 01:31:25 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Punky Brewster:
It's like having a car dealer land in your back yard and start telling you (or showing you) how much better your life would be with a car that he's pushing.

Let's go a little further with this analogy then.

The car dealer in this case is giving you food, helping to rebuild, and giving advice that refers to things besides the car he's trying to sell you.. He's trying to make your life easier. He is also firmly convinced that if you don't take this car, then you are going to spend an eternity in hell. The car in this case is also FREE.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-25-2003 11:18:46 PM
If you're going to use a spiritual analogy, then stick with it.

The car he's selling comes with a price. It's your soul. The car you have currently isn't broken. Oh sure, some whackos trick it out and use it to run over people, but it is not, in fact, broken, outdated, or otherwise non-functional.

You don't, in fact, need a new car.

This guy is making it a condition that, in addition to giving you the things you need to survive (food, water, etc), you have to put up with him trying to sell you a car you don't need, and don't want (otherwise he wouldn't have had to come to you to sell you a car; you'd have found a way to get the car already). It's a car you've heard of (hard to miss Christianity in the world, so don't even argue that point) but it's not the one you grew up with, it's not the one you have faith in, and it's not the one you chose for yourself (and if you argue that they didn't have a choice, then let me remind you how anal catholics are about indoctrinating the young and keeping them indoctrinated).

Now...let me get away from the analogy for a moment. It's okay to have a faith. It's okay to go over and offer aid in the spirit of universal love as part of your faith. That is, after all, what I said earlier. People should focus on doing that sort of thing for one another. On the other hand, there is a line between "My religion tells me to help everyone, so here's some food" and "My religion tells me to help everyone, so here's some food, and here's me expounding on why your religion is WRONG and why you should join my religion."

In other words, missionaries seem too much like those zombieish cultists droning "Join us...join us..." to me.

Do good works because they're good, not because you're trying to con people into your religion. And don't hide behind the "We want to save everyone" if you're not willing to be converted yourself. Your faith in a religion is no superior to anyone else's. If one religion was self-evidently superior to all others, you wouldn't need missionaries going out pushing it on people who get by happily enough with what they've got.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-26-2003 12:11:27 AM
...what the hell
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 04-26-2003 06:10:36 AM
Since we want to promote well-being and universal love to the Iraqi people, we're sending you over as goodwill ambassador, Parce. Pack your bags, you've got thousands of Iraqis who need a hug.

Mog
posted 04-26-2003 10:13:23 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael said:
SNIP

This has restored my love for the dethessay!

- Self Rreliance
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-26-2003 03:34:10 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Since we want to promote well-being and universal love to the Iraqi people, we're sending you over as goodwill ambassador, Parce. Pack your bags, you've got thousands of Iraqis who need a hug.

*loads his shotgun*

Star Collective
Pancake
posted 04-28-2003 01:52:57 PM
quote:
The car he's selling comes with a price. It's your soul.

In the missionary's mind, the car in this case comes with a dealer rebate which gives you back your soul, plus the dealer is paying off the debt on the old car as well.

quote:
Oh sure, some whackos trick it out and use it to run over people, but it is not, in fact, broken, outdated, or otherwise non-functional.

I the way you put that.

quote:
Now...let me get away from the analogy for a moment. It's okay to have a faith. It's okay to go over and offer aid in the spirit of universal love as part of your faith. That is, after all, what I said earlier. People should focus on doing that sort of thing for one another. On the other hand, there is a line between "My religion tells me to help everyone, so here's some food" and "My religion tells me to help everyone, so here's some food, and here's me expounding on why your religion is WRONG and why you should join my religion."

Ahah! So basically, bring food and water but leave the medicine back home? Or bring the water and medicine but forget the food? Have you considered that these Christians want to give them the WHOLE package as they see it?

quote:
In other words, missionaries seem too much like those zombieish cultists droning "Join us...join us..." to me.

Lol.

I may not agree with the manner in which these missionaries want to spread their faith, and they probably have a number of wrong ideas, but I think their hearts are in the right places.

Of course, the above could be said of any number of religions, depending on your PoV. Further pursuit of this topic is probably wasted effort. What it all trickles down to is the PoV you look at it from.

I hate logic some days.

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: Star Collective ]

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 04-28-2003 07:57:31 PM
quote:
Lawst Informat attempted to be funny by writing:
Especially those Apostles. Don't forget that guy named Paul either! Worst of the the lot.

Dad?

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-28-2003 09:15:48 PM
I don't like the idea that article implies, the fact their focus isn't going over there to help, but to convert. I think that sort of attitude definitely doesn't belong over in Iraq right now. Their focus should be helping out, helping to rebuild, and just trying to get people back on their feet. Not a requirement that they try to convert people from a way of life they're perfectly happy with.

I always find it funny how it's never really the "other" religions that do this, either. The Wiccans don't go over trying to tell how great their gods and goddess are. The atheists don't try to go convince other people they shouldn't believe there's a god. And people like me, I believe in Fate more than a god, we don't try to convert people to that way of thinking. Why, then, are there so many examples of intolerance toward other religions from the Christian faith?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Saint George
Pancake
posted 04-30-2003 09:37:44 AM
quote:
Why, then, are there so many examples of intolerance toward other religions from the Christian faith?

Monotheism. The cornerstone of the three faiths Jewish, Christianity, and Islam. The belief there is only one God, all other gods are simply false gods, idolatry, or demons.

Most Pagan religions follow a belief in Pantheism. Many gods. This allows for tolerance in many ways because nothing about the Monotheists conflict with their over all views. What? Another God? Throw him in the Pantheon! The more the merrier. The God the monotheists worship can be one more to the divine mix.
Most modern paganism is just that, a mix of several ancient traditions. They seem to pick and choose what they like from several religions and adopt it.

The three branches on the other hand can't be overly tolerant. By command of their God. Worship ONE God, there are no other gods. To even entertain the fact is in direct violation of their God's commands. The pagan beleif system is in direct conflict with the essence of the Monotheististic Abrahamic traditon. Jews are supposed to isolate themselves as God's chosen people. The Christians believe it is their duty given by Christ to convert all nations. The Muslims are supposed to convert by any means at hand including the sword. Islam has special dispensation for tolerance of Jews and Christians as People of the Book. Pagans and non believers are to be put to the sword.

Mog
posted 05-01-2003 05:45:51 PM
Deths alt acount?

- Self Rreliance
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 05-01-2003 10:48:30 PM
Only alt accounts I have are Rick Dar and Ah'Kiam...and my original account, which will remain buried forever.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: