EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I remember when
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 10-31-2003 02:12:15 AM
This is for anyone who remembers EQ was like before RoK. I'll start off, I remember when if you have to go to Tox Forest from G Fay, you either have to pay through the nose for a port or wait countless hours for a sow, a bind, and the 45 minute wait for the boats to appear. If you didn't killed on the way to your destination it'll take your at least 45 minutes for the run from Freeport to S Qeynos.

Sol B was actually crowded.

Ok someone please share their fond memories of EQ before RoK.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-31-2003 02:24:51 AM
People fucking knew how to play without KEI.

True story: Stupid cleric one day refuses to cast a spell until he has KEI. We are hunting in PoV. We cant start until we get an enchanter from OUT OF THE ZONE to come cast on him.

Totally ridiculous.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-31-2003 02:30:22 AM
I remember when a Monk's fists were the best weapons in the game, and when the only reason to play a Paladin was so you could get a cool flaming sword.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 10-31-2003 02:39:01 AM
I remember when the first train hit Karnors.....

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 10-31-2003 02:50:26 AM
The first time you saw wizard spires and you went "omg big"
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 10-31-2003 03:06:37 AM
Your thread title made me think of this song..

quote:

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

I also remember when Bronze was uber as hell and BIBS cost 250pp or more, and 250pp was a damn lot.

And.. I had to walk 6miles to school in the snow uphill both ways in ragged shoes with a tattered coat.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 10-31-2003 03:27:07 AM
I remember my first trip into Blackburrow, I was scared as hell, also my first trip to Freeport from Qeynos, I camped at HPH and made for it the next day.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-31-2003 03:52:05 AM
First character I had was a Freeport Paladin. Who proceeded to get lost in North Freeport. Some guy ran up to me with like a fine steel sword (I think...it was better than bronze, that much I remember) and just gave it to me, wished me well, and ran off. I proceed to tell my friend and he's like "OMG Nice sword!" and I ended up not playing that character (made a Qeynos monk instead)...go back six months later and the sword was, relative to what I'd seen come with Kunark, etc, crapola.

I remember (this is post-Kunark, but still in an original game zone) losing Lyinar's corpse in Qeynos Hills, back when that place seemed freakishly huge, and rushing around for half an hour desperately trying to find it before it blipped out of existence.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 10-31-2003 03:53:24 AM
45 minutes, but thank God we finally found it. I was frantic. I had nooooo idea about how to get around Qeynos Hills. I was still very much a newbie.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 10-31-2003 07:11:04 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Abbikat wrote:
I remember when the first train hit Karnors.....

I caused the first Karnor's train on the Rathe.

Three hours after that one, I trained Venril Sathir to the zone for the first time on the Rathe.

Ah, good times!

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 10-31-2003 08:46:09 AM
I remember grouping with a paladin in BB, he was equipped with hs "new" fs 2-hander and had bronze bracers. Group was like "Dude!! sweet gear!"

remember the first time my buddy and I saw blackburrow. crested a hill, saw the giant dog maw in the cliff face, said "wtf?!!" turned around and hauled ass back to Surefall.

hehe.. fun times.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Legonaire
Pancake
posted 10-31-2003 09:02:37 AM
Blackburrow is a popular place, I remember the first time inside and exploring a bit. Found a hollowed out tree and decided to step in ............. never did find that corpse.
If animals weren't supposed to be eaten, then why are they made out of meat ??
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 10-31-2003 11:21:26 AM
I remember when there was two little "quick ports" One under the EK bridge, and one in the water just after you zone into WK frm NK

The music that played in QHills. There was a bit near the crossroads sign, and the little hut.

Three words. Tomax, Varsoon and Pyzjn.

Remember getting a RTS at like level 6 because I told some nice high elf lady when Pyjzn accually spawned.

Being called a twink for having it... (reguardless the fact that I was wearing only patchwork pants and my druid guild tunic...)

When people accually bloody roleplayed.

Seeing my first wood elf, and the rest of that was history

BEING #*(^%# BLIND AT NIGHT. And *not* being able to find my way out of the SureFall tunnel untill day when it was better lighted.

Two more words: Holly and Cross (My poor paladin...)

Seeing a guild tag for the first time <United Kingdoms>

Collecting gnoll teeth, handing them in for these moonstone things, handing those in for blackburrow stout, and selling those for 4g 7s each... moniesmonies went for spells... -.-

Getting charm animal and forever being labled "The Zoo Keeper" afterwards...

Seeing someone with a lastname for the first time and thinking "Damn, a god!"

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-31-2003 11:30:21 AM
EQ before RoK sucked big donkey balls.

More bugs then ever, server outages constantly, 2-3 day waiting periods on certain camps, terrible overcrowding...the list goes on. I cheered when they released RoK =)

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-31-2003 11:32:19 AM
I remember just wandering around looking at stuff and thinking, cool.

Or using minor illusion as a tent and charging rent to roleplayers.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 10-31-2003 11:37:53 AM
I remember when banded was cool.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Tal NSFW!!
Pancake
posted 10-31-2003 11:46:51 AM
Tumpy Tonics mean level 20 in a day.

Tell me THAT nerf doesnt seem pointless now.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-31-2003 11:48:34 AM
Hehe
diadem
eet bugz
posted 10-31-2003 11:49:52 AM
You mean you don't have to sit there waiting for a damn boat being unable to cast while monsters can still attack you anymore?
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 10-31-2003 11:57:35 AM
The have some sort of teleportation system that works every ten or 15 minutes and its free.
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 10-31-2003 12:09:18 PM
I still remember running like mad from orc pawns shortly after creating Azrael because I had died to two of them shortly before.

Or being proud upon slaying Corflunk as my dwarf cleric when tanks were having trouble at around the same level.

Exploring Crushbone for the first time as Nedra and being deathly afraid my invis would wear off sneaking into the throne room then up to Emperor Crush's room, and when Dvinn was considered to be a juggernaut that required zone-wide evac if he was trained.

Discovering Paineel for the first time, and being intensely intrigued when I was turned back after trying to zone.

Being hopelessly lost as my first bard in the Qeynos catacombs then having a heart attack when I stumbled upon the Bloodsaber's guild and not being able to get my corpse back requiring me to start my current bard Nixxius in Kelethin.

Getting clarity for the first time in Oasis with my cleric and my group thinking I was some kind of healing god with no end to mana in sight.

And of course, thinking "WTF!!!" when I got sprayed by a skunk and saw my cha take a dive, and laughed hysterically for half an hour.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Captain Hagrid Starcrust III
Pancake
posted 10-31-2003 01:47:41 PM
  • When Mino axes were 5pp each and everyone wanted them

• When there was no sun

• When the scariest thing to hear in Qeynos hills was "Error 1526 cannot load attackingpc.txt"

• When people thought DEX affected attack speed, AGI affected chance-to-hit, and "Orbs of Fear" off specters affected the duration of your fear spells

• When I first logged on and was bummed that you could sit but not lay down

• When you thought you were the coolest person in the world for finding the secret passage in highpass

• When walking from felwithe to freeport was a rite of passage for all newbie high elves and wood elves

• When casting "See invis" on freeport NPC's made sparks shoot out thier crotches
  • Tally of foods I haven't fucked up:
  • Grilled Cheese
  • Home Fries
  • Tuna Salad Sandwich
  • Hard boiled egg
    Live Journaley Goodness
  • diadem
    eet bugz
    posted 10-31-2003 02:21:57 PM
    quote:
    Elvish Crack Piper stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
    The have some sort of teleportation system that works every ten or 15 minutes and its free.

wizards were the only class that I really felt sorry for as a shaman. those poor bastards.

edit: One thing I will miss is the East Commons market, or has that just mvoed to the bizzar? It wasn't implemented by the time i left the game.

[ 10-31-2003: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
    Freschel Spindrift
    Caucasian
    posted 10-31-2003 02:23:54 PM
    The heavy camped areas used to be:

South Karana: Aviak city, spires, and treants.

Oasis of Marr: Orc Highway, and crocs.

The entire zone of Black Burrow.

The entire zone of Lower Guk.

The entire zone of Sol A.

Rathe Mountains: Hill giants. Oh wait they're still heavly camped.

One more thing, no one wanted a wizard in thier group or it's very rare to get into a group if you're a wizzy. Unless you're 47 and have the plane port spells.

You have to, at least die once on attempting to run to safe camp, in Hate.

[ 10-31-2003: Message edited by: Freschel Spindrift ]

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
    Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
    Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
    Bakura: That's my Zorc.
    The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
    Tegadil
    Queen of the Smoofs
    posted 10-31-2003 03:03:09 PM
    I have many fond EQ memories, but the two that come to mind were when I just started.

I had a wood elf warrior in kelethin, but my drivers we messed up and I displayed no textures (read: no paths). I quickly became a /loc master.

And I also remember that my cousin's (guy who dragged me in) first words of advice were 'Remember to check the name of the guuys you fight. Cents look like pawns, but they have a different name, and they'll eat you alive.'

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 10-31-2003 03:21:24 PM
    When a full set of bronze was leet.

I was leet.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
    I posted in a title changing thread.
    posted 10-31-2003 03:34:56 PM
    quote:
    And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Mortious was all like:
    When a full set of bronze was leet.

I was leet.

I remember looking up from monk gear for the first time just after RoK came out. There were things better than bronze? Wow. Oh well...back to trying to get a suit of cured silk put together.

And of course the never-ending quest to find higher places to throw myself off of to raise my safe fall.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
    "All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
    *Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Drysart
    Pancake
    posted 10-31-2003 03:55:15 PM
    quote:
    Chief Durkin tried to impress everyone with:
    When there was no sun

There was a sun (and moon) right from launch. I have screenshots of it from beta.

Katrinity
    Cookie Goddess!
    posted 10-31-2003 03:58:35 PM
    quote:
    Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about the Spice Girls:
    And of course the never-ending quest to find higher places to throw myself off of to raise my safe fall.

Heh, my rogue got all of her Safe Fall points from the section of the giant wall in the Dark Race outpost on Kunark. It gradually went higher and higher so you just find the section that you could fall from without being hurt and still get a ton of Safe Fall points and then just gradually increase the height as you go.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
    Furry Kitsune of Power!
    Pouncer of the 12th degree!
    "Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
    Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
    JooJooFlop
    Hungry Hungry Hippo
    posted 10-31-2003 04:00:10 PM
    Was there a point when you couldn't just use a bunch of tiny falls to bring Safe Fall up or something?
    I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
    Palador ChibiDragon
    Dismembered
    posted 10-31-2003 09:19:28 PM
    I remember when a Mage-summoned Dimensional Pocket was something that people actually wanted.

I remember back when Winged Messenger (I think that was the name) was still being fixed, before they gave up on it and just yanked that spell.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
    Kegwen
    Sonyfag
    posted 10-31-2003 11:27:25 PM
    I find this incredibly amusing
    Vorago
    A completely different kind of Buckethead
    posted 11-01-2003 01:09:30 AM
    My greatest memory is still the Lanys Ty'Vil event in West Commons. Lanys showed up, claimed she needed a warrior ro champion her cause, and I managed to RP the best out of the uberleet fucktards there and she chose me... quite impressive considering I was my half elf rogue at the time

People swamped Lanys, and she started getting pissed, telling everyone to give her room. Everyone didn't. I figured shit was gonna hit the fan, so I got way the hell away...

Gravity Flux + HUGE Pushback. Right out of sight pushback. There were like 3 of us left standing afterwards, heh.

Told to go to Neriak... instantly I got every buff known to man on me in a quarter second. Problem was, so many people went into EC the zone crashed. Twice. Half hour later I got to neriak, finally.

GMs had to teleport me in since I was hilarious KOS to everything in the city, and hung around for the event. Stuff happened, went outside, told what happened to Lanys, etc. etc.

My rogue, and a warrior who had been hanging around and I think was picked at random, got our tokens for our items. Handed them in... The warrior got a 9/18 1H piercer, I got a 0.1weight nosering with a ton of resists to all and assorted stats. I still suspect the GM reversed our rewards.

That was cool, but what was cool was afterwards, I went to Befallen where I had been killing earlier for kicks, and found out items had changed. This was during Befallen's short revamp with lanys supporter NPCs to kill and crap...
    And the Lanys medallions, which had been DEF-NEC/CLR only had suddenly had half elf and rogue added to their list of equippable classes

That made me smile, knowing that even something pretty much no one would ever notice, had changed in the game as a result of something I was a part of. That is still one of my fondest memories of EQ.

I remember back before they made pets have to meet the level requirements for weapon procs and I racked up 8 backpacks full of Gnoll Hide Lariets plus extras solely for my wimpy SK pet to wield at all times so he contributed something useful to the fight
    Whenever one dropped, I would pay the group member there and then to have it. Wasted a buttload of plat on them, but damn it was fun

I loved that little pet, I always had him out, regardless of the situation.

Hell, I remember when I first, FIRST played, someone obviously wanted to screw with me and told me when it rains it can rust and damage your armour, so I made sure to always fight near the houses in east commons so when it began raining I would run inside and wait it out

And I remember spending entirely too much time in Najena killing ogre guards for bronze. And when I did get the pieces, how freaking awesome that bronze was Wore it into my late 30's too, heh.

Hell, like a year and a half later when I re-made my SK, I made sure to wear bronze even at lvl 40. I loved how much people Flipped. The. Fuck. Out. at the sight of bronze
    I claimed to have nothing better and people would just hand me free items to replace the bronze. Of course as soon as they left the bronze went back on and the items went into the bank

Man, when I deleted that char once and for all, I had a field day in EC handing stuff out to people for doing random crap I made up I had platinum out the ass (Sold everything in my bank for cheap, everythat I couldn't sell quickly got handed out). Had a total field day

Nina
    posted 11-01-2003 01:13:52 AM
    quote:
    From the book of Kegwen, chapter 3, verse 16:
    I find this incredibly amusing

Get lost.

Zeke
    I am a vampire and
    posted 11-01-2003 08:56:06 AM
    I remember a friend handing me 50pp when my Cleric hit level 15, and thinking "Holy Christwagons!" I went and finished up a full suit of banded and tried to buy a burynai legion gi from a guy in the mid-forties. I couldn't afford it but he gave it to me free and from then on I was labeled a twink.

I also remember my first visit to MistMoore. I was on a guild raid because I had asked erally nicely if I could tag along for fun and they aggreed. I bound myself in the graveyard. I was in an endless loophole of death. Went from my newly-won level 20 and lovely surname with my guild tag <Knights of the Myst> to being level 16 and quitting the character...I had to /q out just to stop the death cycle.

"Death most resembles a prophet who is without honor in his own land or a poet who is a stranger among his people."
    "Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once."
    Hime, eien-ni, anata-wo ai-shimasu.
    KaLourin
    Illanae's Stooge!
    posted 11-01-2003 09:37:59 AM
    oh.. forgot this one. myself and 2 other friends, brand new to Quellious when it opened. Made Freeport monks, then ran the gauntlet to Qeynos because "FP monks had the faction to do the Qeynos quests too"

3 human monks. lv 4. unbuffed. in the dead of night running through the commonlands and the karanas. freaking out at the sillouettes of death surrounding us. The sounds of hill giants stomping around.. close.. but not seeing them

eep/

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
    Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
    Y.O.T.C
    No longer a Towel Girl
    posted 11-01-2003 10:20:02 AM
    I remember my first set of patchwork....ewwwwwww
    Holden
    French Cocksucker
    posted 11-01-2003 10:21:52 AM
    I remember asking in ooc what time do the lifts go up and down in kelethin..

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
    Khyron
    Hello, my mushy friend...
    posted 11-01-2003 12:05:50 PM
    I remember the first time I went from Freeport to Qeynos... with a guide. We were all having a blast, even though we weren't hunting or anything... just running and chatting. And I remember using the West Karana bug (Once you zone into WK, run to the river, go out to the edge of the zone, face the bottom of the river and slowly move back to the zone line, you'll fall through the world and end up at the tower on the far side of the zone).

I remember joining my first guild just as they were raiding Befallen. I got a FS 2-handed sword out of it

I remember scraping up every penny to buy as much bronze as I could (2pp/ac? I'll never get that much money!)

I remember taking all of my characters down to LGuk to get Shin Greaves/Gauntlets and enjoying being one of the only level 3's in the zone

I remember someone trying to start up a newbie high-dive competition in the Temple of Marr It was along the lines of 'Levels 1-5 welcome, who can jump from the highest point in the temple, AND LIVE?'

I remember... back when Rangers were overpowered and you couldn't hardly walk around EC without finding a half dozen rangers wearing green chain Paladins were whining 'cuz it was way too difficult for them to get their class armor 'cuz they'd have to be 46 to kill the shark, etc etc etc

[ 11-01-2003: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Error
    Pancake
    posted 11-01-2003 06:30:15 PM
    I remember when the Necromancer pets were ridiculously overpowered.
    All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: