EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So who the hell has FFXI?
Suddar
posted 10-29-2003 08:31:15 PM
I know there's a forum for it--but nobody's posting it there either.

Talk, fools. Plzkthx4info. What's it like? Is the patch as bad as reported?

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-29-2003 08:37:23 PM
You must be using the wrong forum.. there's new replies on it constantly.

And yeah, it's like an hour long patch, even on highspeed internet.

Suddar
posted 10-29-2003 08:39:55 PM
Not really, no. I check it constantly, and people aren't posting much about whether or not they even have the game, even fewer are posting about impressions.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 10-29-2003 08:43:47 PM
quote:
Out of a possible 10, Suddar scored a straight 1 with:
Not really, no. I check it constantly, and people aren't posting much about whether or not they even have the game, even fewer are posting about impressions.

Maybe they're PLAYING.

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 10-29-2003 08:59:58 PM
I've been downloading the patch for about a minute maybe and I'm 11% done so far.

omg and now it's done with the 7,000 files and it decided to download 1,000 more which will take over an hour

[ 10-29-2003: Message edited by: Warlord Darius ]

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-29-2003 09:57:26 PM
quote:
Warlord Darius got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I've been downloading the patch for about a minute maybe and I'm 11% done so far.

omg and now it's done with the 7,000 files and it decided to download 1,000 more which will take over an hour

7000 tiny files and 1000 huge fuckers

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 10-29-2003 10:00:45 PM
quote:
Warlord Darius enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

The 7000 is total files which have to be scanned. the 1000 is what actually got patched.

Ryutsuke
Pancake
posted 10-29-2003 10:01:03 PM
Patching... 25% as or right now.
Maradon!
posted 10-29-2003 10:28:43 PM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about Pirotess:
Maybe they're PLAYING.

Never the less, they really aren't posting on the new forum that much. You were wrong, suddar was right.

But yeah, I'm probably buying it tomorrow, but won't see any of you in-game due to gay ass world pass system and missing my chance on release day.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 10-29-2003 10:32:35 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Maradon! stammered:
Never the less, they really aren't posting on the new forum that much. You were wrong, suddar was right.

But yeah, I'm probably buying it tomorrow, but won't see any of you in-game due to gay ass world pass system and missing my chance on release day.

Would you like some cheese with that?

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 10-29-2003 10:36:04 PM
Not yet; I don't think the computer is quite boss enough to run it. I'll probably ask for it for Christmas

So, short answer: No

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 10-29-2003 10:43:22 PM
Enchantedorchid and I are using it as a break from EQ, if we don't like it we'll go back.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-29-2003 10:46:46 PM
People dont post on the new forum much because there isnt much to post about so when someone makes a new post on the game on the wrong forum...that just keeps there from beign any traffic on the FFXI forum anyway

IF you want there to be traffic there, start some threads there. There isnt much for people to post on there as it is right now.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-29-2003 10:47:50 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Pirotess:

Read my recent posts. You'll still be able to get on the server, didnt i already tell you that multiple times?

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-29-2003 10:49:37 PM
Hmm.
Suddar
posted 10-29-2003 10:54:25 PM
quote:
How.... Falaanla Marr.... uughhhhhh:
Read my recent posts. You'll still be able to get on the server, didnt i already tell you that multiple times?

Just sort of a catch-22. I'll try to keep it on the FFXI board in the future, though.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-29-2003 11:04:55 PM
quote:
Suddar stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Just sort of a catch-22. I'll try to keep it on the FFXI board in the future, though.

Yeah, THATS the word i was looking for , catch-22. I couldnt get the right word out

Suddar
posted 10-29-2003 11:14:40 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Yeah, THATS the word i was looking for , catch-22. I couldnt get the right word out

I quoted the wrong post too, wtf.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 10-29-2003 11:37:41 PM
I HATE the control setup
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 10-30-2003 10:05:27 AM
quote:
Sakkra enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I HATE the control setup

Me too. About to change it.

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 10-30-2003 10:38:09 AM
I'm too poor to buy it.

*is sad*

And by the time I am rich enough to buy it, EQ2 will be out, and FFXI will have been out for 4 months and full of higher level folks.

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: Gikkwiny ]

Sean
posted 10-30-2003 10:53:31 AM
quote:
Gikkwiny had this to say about Knight Rider:
FFXI will have been out for 4 months and full of higher level folks.

Maybe you aren't Miss Current Events, but that's already happened.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 10-30-2003 12:22:30 PM
Yeah:/

They dont have any servers for americans that just got the game.

You have to play with japanese peopel that have already got everything.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
nem-x
posted 10-30-2003 12:29:46 PM
All the high level people I've seen were helpful; casting some buffs and killing stuff when we got into trouble. A good majority of them were Dragoons though.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-30-2003 12:38:45 PM
quote:
Gikkwiny had this to say about Robocop:
I'm too poor to buy it.

*is sad*

And by the time I am rich enough to buy it, EQ2 will be out, and FFXI will have been out for 4 months and full of higher level folks.

Well the games already been out for a year in Japan, so too late.

And why is it so many people hate playing games with high level folks? Most of the time they dont effect you at all.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 10-30-2003 12:44:27 PM
Well, from my perspective, I started playing EQ after RL friends had already started.

... I never got to group with them, because they were the powergamers - all three of them were level 50 when I was level 12.

If I start in later from when all of my friends start in, I end up with noone to play with. I forgot the bit about the servers (oops), but... =/

And how does that work, anyway? Two completely different languages trying to communicate? Am I the only one seeing a problem?

... and the issue about EQII coming out isn't that it will have a new server thing, even though it will - it's that I really want to play it, and I can't afford both monthly fees.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 10-30-2003 01:02:41 PM
quote:
Gikk had this to say about Duck Tales:
Well, from my perspective, I started playing EQ after RL friends had already started.

... I never got to group with them, because they were the powergamers - all three of them were level 50 when I was level 12.

If I start in later from when all of my friends start in, I end up with noone to play with. I forgot the bit about the servers (oops), but... =/

And how does that work, anyway? Two completely different languages trying to communicate? Am I the only one seeing a problem?

... and the issue about EQII coming out isn't that it will have a new server thing, even though it will - it's that I really want to play it, and I can't afford both monthly fees.

The game Translates for you, the language thing isnt an issue.

I haven't seen ANY of the high level players, except for one, and she just ran around saying 'Hi' and chitchatting and stuff. Don't see an issue here either... And if it is overpopulated... Then a lot of people are hiding, becuase I rarely see more than a handfull of people at any time. The Dungeons are almost always like... Empty. Got my first mission, and Bats tore me up cause there was no one there. (Well that and I was stupid, but thats besides the point.)

EQII has insane System Requirements... Doesn't look any different structurally from EQI, and holds no interest for me any more than EQI does.. No desire to play that.

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: Faelynn LeAndris ]

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Xyless
Pancake
posted 10-30-2003 01:13:17 PM
I got FFXI yesterday but cant play it atm. Apparently it wont accept a debit card if the account is empty.
Argai Ronso
Pancake
posted 10-30-2003 01:23:13 PM
I got it. I'm having a blast so far.
Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 10-30-2003 10:33:43 PM
I GOT IT! And boy, is the registration process fun! Somewhat confusing, but I finally got everything registered and still trying to totally figure out the POL viewer thing... Other than that, still patching, although they at least provide you with nice music.
Moo.
Soldar
I'll take two of anything, please. To go.
posted 10-30-2003 10:44:00 PM
Well... I bought the game. I haven't registered, I haven't gone through the whole patching process, and I haven't played it.

I just enjoy time playing Ragnarok Online with my brother. It's rare for both of us to play the game at the same time.

Suddar
posted 10-30-2003 10:48:04 PM
I have the game, but I can't play until later tonight.
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 10-30-2003 11:40:25 PM
I got the game up and running yesterday. Deleted my Content ID today. I'll probably play a bit here and there for the next month but, meh. Combat was slow, quests were merely decent, graphics were subpar, player interaction is bleh, MY CAMERA AND CHAT WINDOW CHANGE BY THEMSELVES, and environments, at least in Bastok were dreary. Midgard-style dreary.

That shouldn't stop anyone else from having fun, just ranting.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-31-2003 12:11:43 AM
quote:
Warlord Darius spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I got the game up and running yesterday. Deleted my Content ID today. I'll probably play a bit here and there for the next month but, meh. Combat was slow, quests were merely decent, graphics were subpar, player interaction is bleh, MY CAMERA AND CHAT WINDOW CHANGE BY THEMSELVES, and environments, at least in Bastok were dreary. Midgard-style dreary.

That shouldn't stop anyone else from having fun, just ranting.

The graphics in the game is something a LOT of people are complaining/having issues with. Ironically, most of them have the graphics on crappy ass settings and don't even know it. If it looks even the slightest bit pixelated, or clunky, then you have your settings wrong. End of story. Get your settings right and the game is friggin gorgeous.

Haven't done much questing, or any of the mog house building/layout stuff. I didn't find combat slow in the slightest, in fact playing today with Bajah, Ferret, and Batty taking on the ruins fucking kicked ass! That was such a blast... Until we got owned by a bug. I honestly have a lot of fun goofing off with Ferret, second time running with him today. Bajah just spent the whole time staring at mine or Batty's ass, the pervert.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 10-31-2003 12:16:11 AM
Yeah, you gotta set your textures to uncompressed. Then it's all good.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Nina
posted 10-31-2003 12:19:33 AM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Optimus Prime:
The game Translates for you, the language thing isnt an issue.

What! Fill me in on this? o_O

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 10-31-2003 05:26:42 AM
So what do you do in the game? WHat's different from other online games? What's similar?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 10-31-2003 08:06:07 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
So what do you do in the game? WHat's different from other online games? What's similar?

What do you do and similarities... You fight stuff to level up. They similarities to EQ and other MMOGs I've played, kinda end there. Being able to switch jobs drastically changes play, and the quests are more like typical FF side quests rather than EQ type quests.

And it's pretty.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 10-31-2003 02:28:42 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Lyinar Ka`Bael!

Pretty much what Fae said.

This is probably the prettiest game out on the market right now, in my opinion. It rivals what I've seen from Blizzard for WoW, and I like the graphcis better than EQ2 -- EQ2 graphics don't feel...right...to me. They don't fit a game. FFXI graphcis are awesome though. You know all those flashy special attacks in the game with lightshows and stuff? Its here. The fun spell graphics? They are here. Cast stone on something, and stones fly out from under the mob. Cast a white magic spell on a monster, and it feels like "white magic". And the job system...I'm in love with that And the game has the best race ever, Tarutaru.

As for the same: Its got the levelling treadmill, like other games, but here it just feels more fun. You are almost required to group, much like everquest.

Personally, this is the game I've been waiting for for a long time. If WoW ends up not working out for some reason, I see myself here in FFXI for awhile. The community is awesome too.

If you can spare the cash, pick it up

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 10-31-2003 02:40:04 PM
I'm not beleiveing any of this until two to three weeks have passed.

Not a word.

[ 10-31-2003: Message edited by: Lenlalron Flameblaster ]

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: