EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: If you kill him
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-21-2003 12:37:26 AM
He won't learn nothin'!

So here's your project. Go watch Batman Forever (I know, I know; just keep telling yourself, "It's better than Batman and Robin!"). Then, come back here and help me decide if it was Jim Carrey's acting or the awful, awful dialogue he was given that destroyed his character.

I mean, really. "It keeps me safe when I'm jogging at night!" What the fuck?!

EDIT: Action Max has been showing it like three times a day for some reason

[ 09-21-2003: Message edited by: Sentow, Maybe ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Lashanna
noob
posted 09-21-2003 12:42:41 AM
I don't know... I thought he was kind of funny... -_-
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-21-2003 12:42:56 AM
Shortly after Ace Ventura, everyone wanted a piece of Carrey. He was hot stuff.

The Batman producers, having made ample money from actually good movies, had more than enough to fuck the entire series with two more movies.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 09-21-2003 12:44:46 AM
Wait...I thought Batman and Robin was the one with Carrey?

Or is that the one with Mr. Freeze?...

So which one is the one with the Penguin?

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-21-2003 12:45:48 AM
Batman Returns.
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 09-21-2003 12:54:41 AM
Chronologically (and no, this is not a timeline.. )

Batman - Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson as The Joker
Batman Returns - Michael Keaton, Danny de Vito as The Penguin
Batman Forever - Val Kilmer (omgwtfbbq??), Chris O'Donnell, Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face, Jim Carey ad The Riddler
Ratman and Robin - George Clooless... err.. Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Alicia Silverstone (wtf were they thinking??), Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy, Arnold Schwarzeneggar as Mr Freeze

Who was the best villian in the movies?

For me it's gotta be big Jack as the Joker, but a very close second was Tommy Lee Jones (but only cos I like his style as a whole).

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-21-2003 12:56:10 AM
Foolish Abbi. You forgot Catwoman.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 09-21-2003 01:00:05 AM
In Batman: Returns, they messed up the Penguin. They got him totally reversed of what he's supposed to be.

They went downhill from there.

The problem is, the people making the movie really didn't understand the characters, and how they should work. The Batman Animated series does a good job of making the characters tick, and the movies would have done much better if they had coppied that.

The way they made the Riddler was more like a (bad) mix of Riddler and the Mad Hatter.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-21-2003 01:00:12 AM
BATCHRONOLOGY
Holy too much time on his fucking hands, Batman!

Batman (1966)

Based on the farcical campfest Batman TV series, this movie pits the caped crusaders against four - count 'em, four! FEEL THE HEAT, SCHUMACHER! - villains. Including such howlers as, "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb," this is a pretty fun way to spend 90 minutes if you aren't expecting something serious.

Batman (1989)

Tim Burton's first take on the Dark Knight, featuring Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as the Joker. Basically, it kicks ass.

Batman Returns (1992)

Burton's sequel features an alliance between the Penguin (Danny DeVito) and Catwoman (Michelle Pfieffer, oo la la). Not quite as good as its predecessor, but still a great flick.

Batman Forever (1995)

Joel Schumacher's batdebut. The series took a turn for the worse as the dark, gritty milieu of Gotham gave way to a colorful setting fraught with neon and a more lighthearted tone. To give you an idea of what it's like, try to imagine what would happen if Adam West had played Batman for Tim Burton.
Though not completely hopeless, it was still pretty bad.

Batman and Robin (1997)

Featuring the least compatible villains yet (Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, and Bane), this example of cinematic retardation includes such scenes as Bruce Wayne pulling a credit card with the batlogo and an expiration date of, "FOREVER." Spare me.
According to rumour, Schumacher's only knowledge of Batman prior to 1995 was from the campy 60s series. AND A BAD ACID TRIP, APPARENTLY.

"Batman 5" (2005?)

Folks, I have no idea. But apparently it goes into production next year.

EDIT: Damn you, Abbi.

[ 09-21-2003: Message edited by: Sentow, Maybe ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-21-2003 01:27:13 AM
DAMN IT.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

Based on the excellent animated series from Warner Bros. animation, Phantasm pits Batman against (surprise!) the Phantasm, a murderous, engimatic vigilante hellbent on destroying one of Gotham's syndicates. Despite spending half its script in flashbacks, and being paced such that it could be sliced into four half hour episodes, Phantasm is still a battreat worthy of Mr. Kane himself. Incidentally, Mark Hamill (yeah, THAT Mark Hamill) steals the show as he reprises his role as the Joker.

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 09-21-2003 01:30:44 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about pies:
Foolish Abbi. You forgot Catwoman.

That I did... must have been cos her part was so memorable...

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 09-21-2003 03:48:05 AM
Batman and Robin is my least favorite Batman movie, and not for the obvious reasons.

They totally fucked up Bane. The biggest, baddest Batvillain. The guy who was smart enough to figure out who Batman was just by surveying the area where Batman always seems to leave towards. The guy who broke all the nutsos out of Arkham(or.. whatever) just to wear down Batman so he could pick his place to strike. The guy who figured out how to get into the Batcave through the Mansion. The guy who broke Batman's freakin' back and put him out of commision.

And he was grunting idiot who didn't say a word after he was injected with Venom. Not to mention he was a scrawny little punk before he got injected with it.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 09-21-2003 07:54:33 AM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Snoota suddenly said,
Not to mention he was a scrawny little punk before he got injected with it.
That part might've been accurate. But yeah, they really downplayed him. What's worse is, if Arnold played Bane, and acted smart, then the actor would've fit the part, but the whole movie would focus around him, and the writers obviously wanted someone who'd threaten to take over the world, ahahahahahaha!~ lame. Instead, they put the big man in as Mr. Freeze, who was supposed to be physically average except for the suit. It's not like they *needed* a strong actor for Freeze. Everyone who gets punched or kicked goes flying on wires anyway.

Now for the original question. Carrey's acting in Batman Forever followed the same style as his other movies. It lacked his usual improv lines, though, because the scripted lines were too corny already for him to throw in more jokes. So if you think the movie had good jokes that were presented badly, blame Carrey. But if you feel the jokes themselves sucked, along with most of the rest of the movie, then blame the script/people in charge.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 09-21-2003 08:08:13 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Ford Prefect stammered:
It's not like they *needed* a strong actor for Freeze.

but the suit looked heavy =p

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 09-21-2003 10:47:28 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Sentow, Maybe:
DAMN IT.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

Based on the excellent animated series from Warner Bros. animation, Phantasm pits Batman against (surprise!) the Phantasm, a murderous, engimatic vigilante hellbent on destroying one of Gotham's syndicates. Despite spending half its script in flashbacks, and being paced such that it could be sliced into four half hour episodes, Phantasm is still a battreat worthy of Mr. Kane himself. Incidentally, Mark Hamill (yeah, THAT Mark Hamill) steals the show as he reprises his role as the Joker.

That was a great flick imo

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 09-21-2003 01:38:50 PM
Don't forget one of the biggest goof in Batman and Robin. BATGIRL IS NOT ALFRED'S NIECE! GAHHHHHHHHHH!
Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 09-21-2003 05:04:43 PM
The problem with Batman and Robin was definately in the scripting for one. Mr. Freeze was an intelligent man (that seems fitting from someone who was a SCIENTIST). Did Arnold play an intelligent villian? No, he played a cliche villian remenisencent of of the campy '60 series, tossing out lame ice/snow/winter related puns left and right. I can't remember if it was humorous or just plain stupid but I have no intention of renting it to find out. It was just bad.

Also with what Palador said about Batman Returns. Penquin was the exact opposite of how is character is supposed to be but at least De Vito played it out the character angle right instead of trying to switch back and forth between the intelligent, sophisicated Penquin of the comics and the crude often times feral Penquin of Returns.

On a different note, Mask of the Phantasm was really good. I can't say I've followed Batman too much in the comic scene and the flashbacks of Phantasm helped clear up a lot of the questions about Batman that I had.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-21-2003 06:12:50 PM
It was Jim Carrey AND the terrible dialogue/writing. Carrey shouldn't have been there. I would have much rather have seen Robin Williams in that sort of role than Carrey. They botched the Riddler character, and turned a real threat (Two Face) into a mindless thug (much as they did with Bane in the next film).

The first Batman movie? Rocked. Faithful to the broad notion of how the Joker became the Joker. None of the other live action movies did that.

Phantasm was loosely based on comic stories. Bruce DID have a girlfriend and she WAS tied into some bad shit. Not like the Phantasm, but to be honest I wouldn't mind if it had gone that way in the comic.

And therein lies the difference between the live action movies and the animated series (and movies). The animated series has ADDED to comic story. Harley Quin was added to the comic based on her popularity in the comic. Poison Ivy is a genius in the cartoon, whereas she was a valley girl in the old comics and Uma Thurman turned her into a sexpot. Two-Face, Clayface, Riddler...animated series gave them all a shot in the arm.

Live action made a farce out of the characters.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 09-21-2003 11:17:23 PM
I thought Carrey was an awesome riddler
Ryuujin
posted 09-21-2003 11:19:59 PM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
I thought Carrey was an awesome riddler

Ditto.

Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 09-22-2003 03:21:24 AM
Oh yeah Batman Forever. Two face was not the murderer of Robin's parents. Also his rents weren't killed by explosives. Also Dick Greyson was the only child. Also he was in the mid teens when Batman made him his ward.

One more thing. The only thing I hated about Batman is they killed off the Joker.

[ 09-22-2003: Message edited by: Freschel Spindrift ]

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Azeroth™
Want my opinion?
posted 09-22-2003 08:38:11 AM
quote:
Freschel Spindrift's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
[QB]Also his rents weren't killed by explosives.QB]

If I remember correctly, in the movie they weren't killed by explosives either, they fell while trying to get the explosives out of the circus.

[/URL]
Caanis Lupus
Rub me?
posted 09-22-2003 01:01:39 PM
Batman was only good because of the horsepower Jack gave The Joker. If they would have put anyone else in there the lines The Joker had would had sunk the movie. I was also alittle miffed they killed him. He would had been a good villian to come and get under Batman's skin in like the 4th movie.

Micheal Keaton as Batman was kinda hard to grasp at first, but I think he did it well. George ruined the role. I would say so much that Val was better at Batman than him. Catwoman was just off. I don't know the real background so I can not say if it was accurate.

Batman 5...argh.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 09-22-2003 01:37:38 PM
Mask of the Phantasm was the best movie out of all of them, followed by the 1986 Batman.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: