EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: New Worm?
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-01-2003 10:09:25 AM
My comp is rebooting itself. Is there a new worm out there?
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 09-01-2003 10:28:59 AM
Yes, you've got the Blaster worm.

Download the removal tool from this page. Follow the instructions on the page for removing the virus. Then...

1) Go to Windows Update and get all the latest patches
2) Get a virus protection program (Or if you have one, update your virus definitions)
3) Get a firewall (ZoneAlarm is an excellent free firewall)

-Tok

Espio Idsavant
You have gotten better at Being a Lush! (200)
posted 09-01-2003 10:29:25 AM
Theres been one out for a few weeks that likes to reboot the system.
And you can still be free, If time will set you free
And going higher than the mountain tops
And go high like the wind don't stop...

[ My gooberish Live Journal thingy ]

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-01-2003 10:37:15 AM
I know that I don't have blaster unless there is a new varient. I patched long before it came out. It only happend twice and I can't get it to happen again. I ran SpyBot and Adaware and that seems to have stoped it.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 09-01-2003 10:55:04 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Naimah stammered:
I know that I don't have blaster unless there is a new varient. I patched long before it came out. It only happend twice and I can't get it to happen again. I ran SpyBot and Adaware and that seems to have stoped it.

Blaster is the only worm out that I know that's been doing this. It will send commands to non-infected computers to reboot if it can't infect you, so you probably have other users at your ISP who are infected. A firewall that blocks the proper port on your computer should take care of that. I use ZoneAlarm (the free version) and haven't had a problem with my computer restarting, but the built-in firewall in Windows XP should do the trick.

Also, Adaware and SpyBot do not count - in any way, shape, or form - as virus protection. They merely remove spyware on your computer. Anyone who says they don't need virus protection is a fool. If you don't want to pay for a virus scanner, get AVG Anti-Virus, which is free.

-Tok

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: Toktuk ]

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-01-2003 12:36:58 PM
quote:
Toktuk had this to say about John Romero:
Anyone who says they don't need virus protection is a fool. If you don't want to pay for a virus scanner, get AVG Anti-Virus, which is free.

Or is actually setup properly to being with. You know, not using stupid ass browsers or email clients that are the leading cause of problems or getting on the internet without a proper firewall.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Skaw
posted 09-01-2003 12:40:24 PM
quote:
Toktuk obviously shouldn't have said:
Anyone who says they don't need virus protection is a fool. If you don't want to pay for a virus scanner, get AVG Anti-Virus, which is free.

Hi. I haven't had a virus in over a year. I dont have any AV software either, but every couple months or so I run housecall~

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-01-2003 12:42:09 PM
The worst thing I have ever gotten on my computer was gator. The only stuff that really scares me is the HTML scripts that can drop a virus in. However, Microsoft is being good about getting that kind of stuff patched very quickly.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 09-01-2003 02:27:42 PM
quote:
Skaw wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Hi. I haven't had a virus in over a year. I dont have any AV software either, but every couple months or so I run housecall~

Hi. I noticed you said you haven't had a virus in over a year. Perhaps you would have never had a virus if you had locked down your computer better.

quote:
Random Insanity Generator wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Or is actually setup properly to being with. You know, not using stupid ass browsers or email clients that are the leading cause of problems or getting on the internet without a proper firewall.]

I don't believe in security through obscurity. You can have a perfectly secure Windows machine using IE and Outlook express. Our network at work is mostly Windows machines. We have 2 Red Hat boxes running mrtg and 1 OpenBSD for sftp. Everything else is Windows and we haven't had any viruses in the time I've been there. No Nimda, Code Red, SQL Slammer, Blaster, or anything else you can come up with. We have good communications guys who know how to properly administer firewalls and IDS's and good Windows admins who keep our servers and machiens patched and up to date. As well as keeping virus definitions up to date. This is for over 1,000 machines on a WAN that covers almost the entire state of Texas. I will admit that there is more to watch out for in the Windows world, but Windows vulnerabilities also receive more coverage than ones in the *NIX world, so you don't have to spend half your day reading BugTraq to keep up with the latest holes (although we do that too. )

-Tok

[ 09-01-2003: Message edited by: Toktuk ]

Skaw
posted 09-01-2003 03:09:16 PM
I say a year, because thats about as long as I've had this one up(My 5th PC overall) and running If we were going into total. I probably haven't had any virus trouble in 2, or 3 years.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-01-2003 03:11:00 PM
quote:
Toktuk had this to say about Robocop:
I don't believe in security through obscurity. You can have a perfectly secure Windows machine using IE and Outlook express. Our network at work is mostly Windows machines. We have 2 Red Hat boxes running mrtg and 1 OpenBSD for sftp. Everything else is Windows and we haven't had any viruses in the time I've been there. No Nimda, Code Red, SQL Slammer, Blaster, or anything else you can come up with. We have good communications guys who know how to properly administer firewalls and IDS's and good Windows admins who keep our servers and machiens patched and up to date. As well as keeping virus definitions up to date. This is for over 1,000 machines on a WAN that covers almost the entire state of Texas. I will admit that there is more to watch out for in the Windows world, but Windows vulnerabilities also receive more coverage than ones in the *NIX world, so you don't have to spend half your day reading BugTraq to keep up with the latest holes (although we do that too. )-Tok

Who said jack about obscurity?

Eudora isn't obscure.

Having a properly maintained firewall isn't obscure.

Having a properly maintained mail server (with internal virus scan and extensions of .exe, .vbs, .pif and a fre others DENIED) isn't obscure.

Granted I'm dealing with ISP End Lusers. Even though we go through all this hell, we still have people that get them and then whine when I bill them for the removal.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
posted 09-01-2003 05:40:19 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Random Insanity Generator was all like:
Who said jack about obscurity?

Eudora isn't obscure.

Having a properly maintained firewall isn't obscure.

Having a properly maintained mail server (with internal virus scan and extensions of .exe, .vbs, .pif and a fre others DENIED) isn't obscure.

Granted I'm dealing with ISP End Lusers. Even though we go through all this hell, we still have people that get them and then whine when I bill them for the removal.

My bad, I thought that's what you were referring to when you made the browser and mail client comment.

quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Skaw was all like:
I say a year, because thats about as long as I've had this one up(My 5th PC overall) and running If we were going into total. I probably haven't had any virus trouble in 2, or 3 years.

I'd say you're just lucky then. Viruses are starting to get more sophiscated - they take advantage of remote holes in Windows that Microsoft hasn't patched. Just because you don't click on strange links in an e-mail doesn't mean you're safe from getting a virus. Blaster was spread just by talking to other Windows boxes. All you had to do was be on the same network as another infected machine to get it. Obviously there's no way you can be 100% secure, but why take chances when you don't need to?

-Tok

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 09-01-2003 05:43:28 PM
A friend of mine had 600 infected files after not running a virus scan for several years (they traveled through the files he backed up with every time) and it did no effect his performance AT ALL.

He had NO CLUE. Then he downloads AVG. lo and behold, he's a virus breeding ground!

Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 09-01-2003 06:37:47 PM
Only once have I had a virus and it was stopped before I could install a program from a friend...

However, a friend of mine just picked up that Blaster virus. She is quite upset. Gave her the stuff to remove it.

Worse case, just reformat everything. Always a nice thing to do for your computer

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-01-2003 06:56:25 PM
I would have virus protection, except all the good ones I can ever seem to find all require moneyz. As a result, I just be careful

Haven't had a virus, ever. Never even had one trip my old one that had a prepaid Norton antivirus on it either.

Mod
Pancake
posted 09-01-2003 07:05:02 PM
quote:
This one time, at Vorago camp:
I would have virus protection, except all the good ones I can ever seem to find all require moneyz. As a result, I just be careful

Haven't had a virus, ever. Never even had one trip my old one that had a prepaid Norton antivirus on it either.

Try this.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-01-2003 07:29:20 PM
quote:
From the poster formerly known as Toktuk:
My bad, I thought that's what you were referring to when you made the browser and mail client comment.

hehe... For several years I've used KMail from my linux box to check what little mail I give a shit about. When I got to my new job I didn't feel like risking Outlook/Outlook Express so I hauled out my copy of Eudora. I knew that I'd be safe from a good chunk of email borne virii that way, plus installing Nortin Internet Security on the box (might as well, it's got a permanent link) helped cover everything else.

It was over a week before I started seeing Blaster hits against my box at work. 134 to 139 is blocked at the router and it took people a while to bring it in from the outside (work laptops at home, dialup to an alternate ISP that's not firewalled, etc, etc).

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-01-2003 07:39:58 PM
I ran avg and had no viruses. Oh well just another thing to run every one or two weeks.
Demos
Pancake
posted 09-01-2003 07:59:09 PM
I used to have issues like this; Did you recently install new hardware? You might be overtaxing your power supply. It depends on what you mean by rebooting. Does it reset like "Poof" aka power loss, or going through Windows reboot?
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: