EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Passwording Folders?
Ryuujin
posted 08-22-2003 01:15:05 AM
How would one go about securing a folder from prying eyes, particularly with a password protection, in Windows XP?
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 08-22-2003 01:22:38 AM
Right-click the folder, select sharing and security, check the "make folder private" box and apply. It'll ask if you want to set a password.

[ 08-22-2003: Message edited by: JooJooFlop ]

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Suddar
posted 08-22-2003 01:29:56 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived JooJooFlop stammered:
Right-click the folder, select sharing and security, check the "make folder private" box and apply. It'll ask if you want to set a password.

It pisses me off that I don't get that option with my copy of XP, for some bizarre reason. The box is just grayed out, no matter what.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 08-22-2003 01:32:51 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Suddar said this:
It pisses me off that I don't get that option with my copy of XP, for some bizarre reason. The box is just grayed out, no matter what.

You're logged in as an admin, right?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Addy
posted 08-22-2003 01:32:57 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Suddar!

Mine's greyed out as well, dammit, =\

EDIT: And my account isn't an admin, afaik. Blah.

[ 08-22-2003: Message edited by: Addy ]

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-22-2003 01:35:00 AM
quote:
Addy farted, then typed this through the tears:
Mine's greyed out as well, dammit, =\

EDIT: And my account isn't an admin, afaik. Blah.

I think with XP Home (which I have) you can only make folders in "My documents" private.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Suddar
posted 08-22-2003 01:36:37 AM
quote:
How.... JooJooFlop.... uughhhhhh:
You're logged in as an admin, right?

Yes, I am, but THAT SHOULDN'T MATTER

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 08-22-2003 01:37:15 AM
quote:
Karnaj spewed forth this undeniable truth:
I think with XP Home (which I have) you can only make folders in "My documents" private.

Yep, looks that way.

Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 08-22-2003 02:02:02 AM
I have XP Pro and the same issues occur. With Win2kPro I was actually able to block anyone (admin included) from touching a file once by accident, here it is much differernt.

XP specifically told me this:
"Make this folder private" is only available for My Documents (and subfolders), Desktop, Favorites and Start Menu.

Thus, move to one of those folders or find a 3rd party app. None come to mind at the moment unfortunatly. Odd that Microsoft had it setup like that. Guess they made it "more user friendly" figuring people would only put their files in the "My Documents" folder...

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 08-22-2003 02:52:40 AM
It's so they can secretly keep tabs on what you want to hide!IT'S A CONSPIRACY! THEY ARE ALL OUT TO GET YOU! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
Feed my hungry soul.
Agent A
Underpowered on Purpose
posted 08-22-2003 01:17:26 PM
quote:
Suddar spewed forth this undeniable truth:

I have the same problem, and I'm the admin too.

"How do you all feel about beastiality with taxidermy? It seems like most people aren't very down with it, in fact, alot of people are only medium down with it. But if you only get to second base, where's the harm, right?"
- Melora Creager
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 08-22-2003 01:20:18 PM
Just nuke everyone else's premissions from the folder Give them a nice big access denied message.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: