EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Monitor switcher
Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 08-21-2003 03:33:17 PM
I do not know what it is called, but I am looking for a simple decive that I can use to switch my monitor from one tower to another without replugging it.

If anyone know of the name at least, that would be a big help

diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-21-2003 03:35:00 PM
kvm switch

[ 08-21-2003: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-21-2003 03:40:26 PM
quote:
Roll the dice to see if diadem is getting drunk!
kvm switch
There are cheaper ones too. You can get a 2-system KVM for around $30. They look like cable splitters.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-21-2003 06:07:12 PM
Belkin makes great KVM's.

If you're looking for a 2 port deal and you don't mind losing the use of your Ctrl key for games, they make one that has the cables and all for about $35 to $45.... Double-Tap Ctrl to swap between systems.

Personally I prefer the full sized ones... Double Tap Scroll Lock then hit the number of the system you want... Keeps you from accidentally switching in the middle of a crucial EQ moment.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-21-2003 06:58:51 PM
when i worked at college we just had this box with a dial that pointed to numbers. you snap the dial to make it point to 1 through 4, and your keyboard/video/mouse uses that number computer....

i'd use e-bay for this personaly, no reason to get this new. just look at feedback and go with your gut.

edit: probably common sense, but make sure you go with the right type of kvm, especialy of you use usb stuff.

[ 08-21-2003: Message edited by: diadem ]

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 08-21-2003 07:23:40 PM
quote:
This one time, at diadem camp:
when i worked at college we just had this box with a dial that pointed to numbers. you snap the dial to make it point to 1 through 4, and your keyboard/video/mouse uses that number computer....

i'd use e-bay for this personaly, no reason to get this new. just look at feedback and go with your gut.

edit: probably common sense, but make sure you go with the right type of kvm, especialy of you use usb stuff.

You were using an old analog one. Thoes suck ass and these days tend to cause computers to lock up.

The 'current' generation of them are all digital and support good resolutions and refresh rates.

Last time I saw an analog KVM switch was when I was taking it apart. Lots of wires in there.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 08-22-2003 12:12:17 AM
Thanks for the help all. I'll start digging into which to get over the next week before I get a second tower.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: