EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Hey guys
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-20-2003 02:11:58 AM
You think $129.99 is a fair price for a Samsung SyncMaster 763MB 17" monitor?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384708532&type=product&skuId=5348992

It's $169.99, but then it has a $40 rebate, so the grand total is only $129.99. I saw that tonight at Best Buy and I wanted to get opinions on it before I made any decisions.

I believe it's shadow mask technology rather than aperture grille, although it's not mentioned there. When I looked to see what Office Depot had it for, though, it mentioned shadow mask.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-20-2003 02:14:17 AM
I think my 17" CRT cost $650 a year ago.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 02:19:02 AM
Only initial thing I can think of is will 1280 x 1024 be high enough for you? Ex: do you play some games/run windows in higher resolutions (or want to)?

Otherwise, seems like a good deal for the monitor. Newegg doesn't have one really at much different of a price.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 02:26:26 AM
quote:
Valso the WhiteDragon had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Only initial thing I can think of is will 1280 x 1024 be high enough for you? Ex: do you play some games/run windows in higher resolutions (or want to)?

Otherwise, seems like a good deal for the monitor. Newegg doesn't have one really at much different of a price.

That's the rub. I want a 1600x1200 really, but the 17 inch monitors with that resolution are out of my price range, and I looked at 19 inch ones tonight and they're far too big for me. I just don't like how it feels to be in front of one.

I run Windows now usually in 1152xwhateverthehellitis (768 I think, I run this laptop in a lower res but the monitor is for the main system and I don't have access to that info right now) and I play my two EQ sessions in 1024x768, so there should be ample room for both sessions on the screen.

I had my eye on a Viewsonic at newegg for $144 that's since gone up to $155, the E70F+SB, but I've been told Samsung is better. And if I can save a bit more than I would have going with Viewsonic, I'd like to.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-20-2003 02:39:49 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael thought about the meaning of life:
That's the rub. I want a 1600x1200 really, but the 17 inch monitors with that resolution are out of my price range,

Densetsu looks at the deal he got, then looks up with a quizzical look on his face.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Sean
posted 08-20-2003 03:21:33 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael probably says this to all the girls:
That's the rub. I want a 1600x1200 really, but the 17 inch monitors with that resolution are out of my price range, and I looked at 19 inch ones tonight and they're far too big for me. I just don't like how it feels to be in front of one.

I'm on a VPR Matrix that runs up to. . .Something like 3000x2000, 19 inch flatscreen CRT.

Got it for $99.99 after rebates at Best Buy back in December, XD

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 06:37:21 AM
quote:
Slayer Densetsu stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Densetsu looks at the deal he got, then looks up with a quizzical look on his face.

You got a 19 inch

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-20-2003 07:17:25 AM
And a MAG at that.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-20-2003 07:25:09 AM
The Mag that he is talking about is only ablut 1.5 inches wider and taller than most 17s I have seen. Although it is a bit deeper.

A good 17 inch should cost under 100 Bucks.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 07:26:45 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Azizza:
The Mag that he is talking about is only ablut 1.5 inches wider and taller than most 17s I have seen. Although it is a bit deeper.

A good 17 inch should cost under 100 Bucks.

Well point me to some places I can get a good 17 inch for under 100 bucks, cause I've checked my online sources and unless I want some no-name brand, I'm gonna go over 100

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-20-2003 07:27:46 AM
Negative starfighter. All name brands with the multi level brightness and other tasty little things she likes are 140+
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 06:23:45 PM
What do y'all know about KDS? Good? Bad?

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 08-20-2003 06:29:17 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Lyinar Ka`Bael:
What do y'all know about KDS? Good? Bad?

KDS, while they are no Viewsonic or Sony, are generally good monitors. They may not have billion extra features like Deth was describing (I haven't checked. ), but they're relatively clear and reasonably priced.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 06:33:59 PM
We were poking around today at Office Depot and they have this

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=556512

It's $128, with a $40 rebate, which will make it $88 after rebate. They have a Samsung SyncMaster there and as I compared them, they seemed to be of equal brightness. If I got the KDS, would it last a while? And would the brightness level be satisfactory?

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 06:39:14 PM
My other option is this one

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=24-116-254&refer=Dealtime

Gone up a bit, but it's the one I had in mind before and then I looked locally.

Which seems the best for the best value?

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-20-2003 07:35:57 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Lyinar Ka`Bael stammered:
You got a 19 inch

Yes, a 19" with a button that toggles between a zoom mode, a vivid picture mode, and a warm picture mode, with a 1600x1200 max resolution.

I would just assume that finding SMALLER monitors for at least a comparable price would be much easier.

Mine was $149 with a $50 rebate.

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Slayer Densetsu ]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 07:44:52 PM
quote:
Slayer Densetsu enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Yes, a 19" with a button that toggles between a zoom mode, a vivid picture mode, and a warm picture mode, with a 1600x1200 max resolution.

I would just assume that finding SMALLER monitors for at least a comparable price would be much easier.

Mine was $149 with a $50 rebate.

They actually did have a 17 inch MAG there.

I'm heading out now. I'll either come back with the Samsung, or a comparable one. I'll make my final choice there.

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Lyinar Ka`Bael ]

Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 08:03:52 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Which seems the best for the best value?

I have had a KDS monitor (17" I believe) for over 2.5 years now. Possibly longer, I can't remember if I had it before my current tower or not.

Anyways, it has worked out fine for me. I usually leave the screen at 1280x960 and found little problems with it.

(Just letting you know someone that has used a KDS for awhile).

Derf, too late. Already left. Oh well. Hope all works out well

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Valso the WhiteDragon ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 08-20-2003 10:32:15 PM
I got a 19 inch. The MAG. Same on Densetsu got. I didn't see it the other night because I didn't look in that section. All I can say is....damn.

It's still a little odd and weird to sit in front of, but man EQ looks fantastic.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: