EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: How do I get quick credit?
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 08-20-2003 12:07:29 AM
Well I just recently turned 18. I was like cool now I can get stuff in my name and have contracts on my own. Well today was my first time attempting to go out and get something in my name and it didn't work out to well.

I went to the Verizon Wireless store in hope to get an LG VX6000 phone with service. I talk to the sales rep, she really recommends the phone and says I'll be happy. Not much mattered of what she said though, I'd done hours of research about cell phone providers/phones and my mind was made up.

Well I goto check out. She asks for my lisence, she makes a copy, address correct, home phone etc etc. Then she asks for my social security nubmer. I give it to her, and shes like 'hmm its not matching up in the computer, we need proof of it.' So I'm like, damn. I have to drive home(a grueling and rough 20 min drive down a widely traveled road). Get home, grab card and head back in hopes of having my spiffy new phone. I arrive back at the store, she calls me right to her. I show her the card, okay. She finishes out everything with all the options I want. I'm like heck yeah, cool phone here I come. She goes okay that'll be 814.something something. I'm like OH MY GOD I wasn't trying to pay in canadian money or something. Turns out if you don't have credit they make you put down a 400 dollar deposit. Well I don't have 400 dollars to throw down for a year.

But now I need something to get me good credit, quick. I want this phone/service. I'm so sick of my local unlimited minutes peice of junk Motorola V60i.

What can I do to get credit?

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 08-20-2003 12:09:09 AM
Buy shit with your credit card.
Skaw
posted 08-20-2003 12:09:52 AM
Apply for a credit card. Buy something, pay it off ASAP, wait for your first statement. Bam. Instant Good Credit.
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 08-20-2003 12:10:09 AM
quote:
How.... Bummey the Fool.... uughhhhhh:
Buy shit with your credit card.

If I had one, this might be a valid option. Every credit card I checked out online said it'd be 3-4 weeks before they could mail me out one.

Paccione
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 12:15:50 AM
Quick Credit doesn't exist. I am slowly building my credit by my credit card. I had to put $600 down (that I get back in 1 year with an extra $18 tacked on) to get a $500 credit limit. I've spent about $5000+ on it so far. After a year, I can probably get a $2000 credit limit.
Skaw
posted 08-20-2003 12:16:47 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Paccione!
Quick Credit doesn't exist. I am slowly building my credit by my credit card. I had to put $600 down (that I get back in 1 year with an extra $18 tacked on) to get a $500 credit limit. I've spent about $5000+ on it so far. After a year, I can probably get a $2000 credit limit.

Heh, I got $1300 Credit on applying.

Bricktop
Old and Gay
posted 08-20-2003 12:16:48 AM
quote:
KiranĂª stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
If I had one, this might be a valid option. Every credit card I checked out online said it'd be 3-4 weeks before they could mail me out one.

That's pretty much your only option.

A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
Suddar
posted 08-20-2003 12:18:12 AM
Then wait 3 or 4 weeks before buying shit.
Skaw
posted 08-20-2003 12:20:12 AM
The fastest way would be to apply through your bank, if they're in partnership with a credit company. I got my Bank Visa card in like, 2 weeks after applying.
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 08-20-2003 12:37:18 AM
Cool thanks. Guess I will goto the bank tommrow and apply for a card.

Does anyone work with Verizon or phone companys? I wonder when the next phones will be released.

Maradon!
posted 08-20-2003 12:38:46 AM
The best way to build credit is NOT TO.

I am the proud owner of $8000 of unsecured debt

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-20-2003 12:44:07 AM
If you don't want to get yourself in trouble, get a regular ol' Amex card. There's no preset limit on what you can spend, and the balance on the card is due in full every month. Keeps you from getting into trouble as is wont to happen with revolving charge accounts.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-20-2003 01:50:01 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:

Isnt debt fun?

I have, lets see.

1000 credit card
17,400 car
9625 so FAR in student loans

Kirane, credit sucks major ass. You don't ever want to use it for anything but a car or whatnot. TRUST ME.

You can say you will get a credit card and not use it, but god damn, they are too tempting.

I have one, and its ALL i'll ever get

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Skaw
posted 08-20-2003 04:44:05 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
You can say you will get a credit card and not use it, but god damn, they are too tempting.

I have one, and its ALL i'll ever get

Yeah, see. Theres this thing. It's called Self-Control.

I think I've used my card for only 5 things in the 4 months I've had it. And one of those was to replace my moms card as the billed card for EQ.

Taylen
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 06:36:07 AM
Sounds typical for most wireless deposits, used to piss customers off when i worked for circuit city, ran them through all the info, called to get them setup, then had to tell them there would be a $500 deposit on it. Only wireless plan I ever saw that had a low deposit limit was Sprint PCS that topped out at $125 deposit.
"When correctly viewed, everything is lewd." - Tom Lehrer.
Sadomasochism: It's Fun!
Taylen Ashenbow
Rangers never run we mearly stratigically retreat.
Thats not a train thats a pull, my trains are always much bigger.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 08-20-2003 09:08:11 AM
I need a credit card to get good credit? DOH.

First thing my mom ever taught me was to stay far, far away from them I just pay for everything in cash or whatnot. Just how necessary is having credit?

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-20-2003 09:15:59 AM
Credit is neccessary. There are some places that simple insist on you have a credit card as a form of payment. A lot of places like hotels, ask for your credit card if you're making a reservation with them over the phone. Other major purchases can tend to ask for it as well.

Credit cards aren't evil, as long as you show a bit of self control with your purchasing.

That $400 deposit you had to pay wouldve normally just been added to your card and you wouldn't have known. The world expects people to have cards now.

As far as "good credit" goes, no you dont need a card to get good credit. You can attain good credit by simply taking out say, a $2000 loan from your local bank, and paying it off in small incriments and "never miss a payment".

A 2 year loan properly paid off will give you good credit marks.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-20-2003 09:16:21 AM
It's not exactly fast credit, but if you want easy credit, go to college. You'll get bombarded with credit card offers, etc. This gets a lot of people in trouble, because they don't know how to manage money before they get to college, and end up sinking themselves into debt.

I'm fairly good at managing money, and always pay off credit cards. But I still owe about $12K in student loans and about $15K on an auto loan. If I had to, I could pay off one of them completely from my bank accounts, but I'd rather have the buffer at this point.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 08-20-2003 09:41:00 AM
credit is a built thing. get stuff in your name and pay it off. Get a credit card. If you are too immature to handle a credit card, buy one thing with a credit card, pay it off, then cut up the card but keep it active. It's important to get a credit card as soon as you can get one becuase part of your credit is how long you had a card. Again, if you can't handle it, cut it up. It's just important to officaly have one.
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Paccione
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 10:34:56 AM
All I use my credit card on is grocery shopping and buying the few games I buy now (LIKE SOUL CALIBUR OMG 8 DAYS). So my credit statement usually shows ALOT of $2-$3 transactions.
Skaw
posted 08-20-2003 01:11:03 PM
I've only used my card, retailwise, for purchases where I don't quite have enough money on me(Like forgetting to add in sales tax, or adding it wrong)
Ares
posted 08-20-2003 01:29:06 PM
Whatever you do, don't try to pay of credit cards with more credit cards.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-20-2003 01:33:21 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Ares wrote:
Whatever you do, don't try to pay of credit cards with more credit cards.

Actually if the APR (interest rate) of one of your cards is lower, it's a smart move to pay off one credit card with another.

If you have a 12% APR on a card with $1500 worth of debt, it's best to transfer that balance to a new credit card with a lower APR and cut up the old card, you'll save money.

A lot of cards have 0% APR on balance transfers now, to get more business.

-Mayer Rothschild
Suddar
posted 08-20-2003 02:07:55 PM
It's not about credit cards being bad, or credit evilly tempting you with its supple bosom of instant gratification. It's about self-control, as been said already. It's about knowing when and when not to use the card. There are some situations, maybe in an emergency, or if spend more money than you've got in the bank at the moment (not by much, of course, so you just set aside a little extra to pay it at the end of the month). But otherwise, it's too much.

My old math teacher follows the same philosophy I do and last I heard from him he has something like $175,000 (that's being very conservative, because I don't want to exaggerate it or anything but I'm almost sure he has more) in his name and he's in his mid-30s. He's never had a high-paying job; he's a math teacher for christsake. All that he's done is, instead of paying $250-500 dollars to a debt every month, he invests. I don't even want to think about the compound interest so I'm not going to. Even with the economy in the shitter he was making money.

Maybe he'll be a millionaire someday, and maybe not. But at least he can be secure in the knowledge that he's going to be more-than-comfortable when he retires, and hey, isn't that what counts?

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Suddar ]

Emily
Why's everybody always hittin on me?
posted 08-20-2003 02:30:50 PM
Wow, after hearing all this, I'm never getting a credit card. EVER.
Should've done something, but I've done it enough
By the way your hands were shaking
Rather waste some time with you

Should've said something, but I've said it enough
By the way my words were faded
Rather waste some time with you...

Nina
posted 08-20-2003 02:49:05 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Emily:
Wow, after hearing all this, I'm never getting a credit card. EVER.

Bad move

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 02:50:53 PM
quote:
Maradon! thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Is that all?

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 05:21:43 PM
quote:
Nina probably says this to all the girls:
Bad move

cred cards and loans are not the only way to substantiate your credit. Owning a house or car, paying bills that are in your name (any monthly bill, not just cred cards) on time, and things like that affect your credit standing positively.

Alternatively, every time you have someone check your credit (this one boggled me), get turned down for a cred card or loan, or turn in late payments adversely affect your credit standing. I remember when I worked at an insurance company we sometimes ran credit checks on people. I remember I checked mine like 4 or 5 times for the novelty of it that month, until someone pointed out I was hurting my credit standing.

Feed my hungry soul.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-20-2003 05:46:41 PM
quote:
Ragabash stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
cred cards and loans are not the only way to substantiate your credit. Owning a house or car, paying bills that are in your name (any monthly bill, not just cred cards) on time, and things like that affect your credit standing positively.

And how do you propose you buy a house or car without credit or a loan? I dont know many $500 houses for sale

The rest of what you said is dead on though. Think back to the dredded "permanent record" you used to hear of in school. Basically this is what credit is, the permanent record of your adult life. Most anything to do with money and major purchases will show up on that record.

For everyone here saying they wont get credit cards, that will only serve to hurt you in the end, credit cards are extremely helpful, as long as you have even an ounce of self-control.

-Mayer Rothschild
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 08:57:56 PM
I didn't say you could do that without first having credit. I merely said it's something that adds to the credit.

However, you can do it. Take me for instance. I didn't take a loan or need my credit standing to buy my house. My grandparents sold it to me to be paid in monthly installments. Owning the house helps my credit, and I didn't need it to get it. Obviously, not everyone has that option, but it is possible.

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Ragabash ]

Feed my hungry soul.
Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 08-20-2003 09:32:19 PM
Was placed on my moms credit card when I was 16.
Picked up my own at 18.

I use cash for the occasional meal on campus and that is about it. Maybe for a soda at a machine. Otherwise, food/gas/etc all put on a credit card. Then a quick hope to the website of the credit card and bam, bill paid. I don't even have them send me a bill except through email

Zero balance every month. I only buy the bare minimum and if I get a little extra cash from mom or work, I'll use some of that (not all) towards something.

Phone/Cable/Apt all in my name, new bankaccount on campus in my name. Credit is solid.

The big key... don't buy something unless you have the money for it or it is an emergency (car breaks, pay for a repair with a credit card even if you are a little short on cash).

I think I have a $1000 limit on my credit card. I could up it, but I never have more then $200 on it each month (gas/food). Big key... control... easy to do. Also, if your going to college, Discover usually will give you one just by letting them know you are in college. Visa/MC not sure, mine is through my bank as a debit card.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: