EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Martial Arts?
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-11-2003 11:38:13 PM
So, I'm looking to get into some form of martial arts as I start to get into shape, as a way to help keep myself fit. What I'm wondering is...is there something out there fitting for a guy thats 6 foot tall, and looks to be in the mid 200s weight wise (From what I'm told by doctors and such, my build will keep me fairly "big", even when I'm down to my ideal weight. Its how I'm built, I'm told.

So...yeah. Any recommendations?

Suddar
posted 08-11-2003 11:40:53 PM
Sumo.

Elspeth
Pancake
posted 08-11-2003 11:41:45 PM
ATA Taekwondo

So you want to start a revolution. Well, you know...
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-11-2003 11:42:32 PM
He's way to small for sumo.

Your tall, so you have long legs.

Tae Kwan Do or however you speell it likes long legs.

I do kajukenbo and thats worked out pretty well, wel get people of all sizes here.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Suddar
posted 08-11-2003 11:43:20 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper spewed forth this undeniable truth:
He's way to small for sumo.

And that is why we call it a "joke."

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-11-2003 11:47:21 PM
quote:
Verily, Elspeth doth proclaim:
ATA Taekwondo

Former Camo belt, I think it was. I had two stints in it. First one ended because we moved, the second one ended because the only school in the area stopped having classes.

My little brother and middle brother were also in it, with my middle brother making it up to 1st degree recommended (Red/Black, if I remember right)

But yeah. I've considered that, but, well...it wasnt really as much my "type".

And actually, ECP -- if I DID wanna go sumo, i could -- i could add on the weight in a year or so, probably less. I'm 6'0, 325ish right now.

[ 08-11-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-11-2003 11:48:04 PM
You'd be better off weightlifting, fatty.

I'm about your size and I can lick any martial artist smaller than me. It's just a matter of grabbing hold and squeezing until they stop kicking.

Sumos are a different story, though. I envy the life of a sumo.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 08-11-2003 11:51:47 PM
Shotokan Karate - the japanese way to learn how best to beat the shit out of someone your own size.

Plus it works great for anyone built stubby and big.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-11-2003 11:52:26 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
You'd be better off weightlifting, fatty.

I'm about your size and I can lick any martial artist smaller than me. It's just a matter of grabbing hold and squeezing until they stop kicking.

Sumos are a different story, though. I envy the life of a sumo.

Thats the plan before I start martial arts, and while I practice them -- Its going to become a regular thing for me.

quote:
Vobo had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Shotokan Karate - the japanese way to learn how best to beat the shit out of someone your own size.

Stubby is so me.

[ 08-11-2003: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-11-2003 11:52:55 PM
Capoeira!
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Chugga
Pancake
posted 08-11-2003 11:53:47 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Vobo:

Rage works much better.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-11-2003 11:54:15 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr was listening to Cher while typing:
Thats the plan before I start martial arts, and while I practice them -- Its going to become a regular thing for me.

I mean seriously, just straight weight training would be easier than trying to balance two forms of exercise and school. Martial arts are for puny females and lesser wimps, anyways.

Enjoy living large. You'll never be a ninja, but you can find much lunch money from people like Vorbis and Suddar.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-11-2003 11:55:43 PM
quote:
This one time, at Mr. Parcelan camp:
I mean seriously, just straight weight training would be easier than trying to balance two forms of exercise and school. Martial arts are for puny females and lesser wimps, anyways.

Enjoy living large. You'll never be a ninja, but you can find much lunch money from people like Vorbis and Suddar.

*nod*

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 08-12-2003 12:07:50 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Robocop:

's why I make big, muscle-filled friends!

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 08-12-2003 12:18:57 AM
Following this train of thought, are there any sort of styles that use weaponry for people of the size that Fal has specified?
Cripcookie
Pancake
posted 08-12-2003 12:32:02 AM
Muay Thai, Judo, Jui-Jutsu, Tae Kwon Do (ATA or KTA), or (if you have alot of time) Aikido or Hopkido.

Muay Thai: "Thai boxing" or "Kick boxing"

Obviously geared towards the legs, Muay Thai would probably be a good martial art if you are tall and have long legs (and don't mind a lot of painful stretches ).

Judo and Jui-Justu are "wrestling" styles that involve grappling and throws (I know Judo is at least) It is a good art if you have strong leg muscles and large.

Tae Kwon Do:

If you know this you will have learned the basics of just about every martial art same thing with Karate.

Aikido:

One of the most difficult arts to learn, takes at least a year to be able to adapt it comfortable in an actual situation, mostly not competitive but there are some exceptions.
Aikido

Hopkido:

The Korean counterpart to Aikodo, more competitive, more straight forward attacks (less passive than Aikido) I don't know much else about it.

I would suggest Muay Thai and Judo the most.

By Jeff Heard. Lindon, UT - The SCO Group announced the launch of a
campaign to shoot 1% of all babies born in the US.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-12-2003 12:44:27 AM
You might want to consider Tai Chi.

You aren't doing it for a form of self-defense, but for excersize, correct? While Tai Chi IS a martial art, and CAN be used for self-defense, it is fantastic for tasks such as relaxing yourself, and keeping your body in shape.

Since you will be doing weight-training, Tai Chi might be complimentary for you. It would improve your flexibility, stamina, and balance.

Either way, you should probably do a decent amount of research into any martial art before you take one on, to see if it's going to be right for you.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Burger
BANNED!
posted 08-12-2003 12:55:49 AM
dude, yoga, that's the way to go. the ladies love a big man that can put both legs beginh his head, or balance on one hand. It gets their imaginations going...
Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Canadian Mountee
Rumble Pak+FMV Sequence=FUN!
posted 08-12-2003 08:03:08 AM
Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu.
The World is Yours
Paccione
Pancake
posted 08-12-2003 08:08:33 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe thought about the meaning of life:
Capoeira!

I'd like to see a 325lbs man do that...

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 08-12-2003 11:30:06 AM
I had a bunch of friends who do capoiera.

It's not for people who aren't realitvly close to being "In shape". Believe me!

CBTao
Pancake
posted 08-12-2003 01:31:17 PM
given your size (being how I'm about the same way) if you plan on keeping a decent musculature, I'd suggest a throwing art, Judo/Jujitso or Aikido, TKD is nice and all with the long legs, but theres a lot of aerial manuvering that we're just not made to do, however if you can find some kung fu schools, tiger style, or wing chun would be very much up your ally
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 08-12-2003 01:42:12 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan painfully thought these words up:

You know, now I'm going to have to fight you.

Fal, Tae Kwon Do is possible, but it'd be tough. I grew up in it so my body was able to adapt around jumping techniques (I have strong legs ^_^) and the like.

Besides, if I was in a real fight, I'd just throw straight punches. They do teach you how to throw effective punches, hit softer areas, and use other techniques that can assist you.

I'd suggest a grappling art. Size gives an advantage when grappling, because it's harder to effectively manuver that person into a more advatageous position.

[ 08-12-2003: Message edited by: Lenlalron Flameblaster ]

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-12-2003 03:59:35 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I mean seriously, just straight weight training would be easier than trying to balance two forms of exercise and school.

If he does weight training correctly, he will gain more weight then he burns off.

To lose weight you need to do cardio exercises, walking/running/swimming.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
MadCat the 2nd
Pancake
posted 08-12-2003 04:32:45 PM
Aikido - it's fun.
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Ryuujin
posted 08-12-2003 05:36:54 PM
I've always wanted to try my hand at Aikido, it's always interested me very much, unfortunately I've yet to find anyone around this area who teaches it.

I did take Judo for about a year when I was younger, was pretty good actually, got 1st place in a championship, though that was probably because no one could get out of one of my takedown holds. Forgotten it by now though. ;/

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-12-2003 10:49:51 PM
quote:
Reynar had this to say about Robocop:
If he does weight training correctly, he will gain more weight then he burns off.

To lose weight you need to do cardio exercises, walking/running/swimming.

Yeah, martial arts won't help you lose weight any quicker than good old cardio.

What it's really gotta be is diet.

Tal NSFW!!
Pancake
posted 08-12-2003 11:03:33 PM
Brazilian JuJitsu.

Hoyce Gracie was UFC champ for how long? and when he lost, he only got hit ONCE. Think of how badass you could be if you knew that shit, and could take a punch!!OMG

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: