EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Windows 98 2nd Edition vs. XP
Saint George
Pancake
posted 05-21-2003 01:05:55 PM
My system can easily handle XP. I'm still using the windows 98 2nd edition. I haven't used XP. WOuld it be worth the the upgrade?

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: Saint George ]

Oh shi...
what
posted 05-21-2003 01:09:59 PM
Oh yes. No more fucking crashes
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-21-2003 01:17:40 PM
USE LINUX!*

*Fal's real advice isnt to use Linux. She is just bored.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-21-2003 01:44:43 PM
It would be like going from a Geo Metro to a Dodge Viper. Upgrade

[ 05-21-2003: Message edited by: Azizza ]

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 05-21-2003 01:53:07 PM
Yes.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Taeolas
Pancake
posted 05-21-2003 02:25:10 PM
If you can find Win2000, go with that instead, but that's just my personal prefs. I've been using Win2K for a year or so now and had no problems with it, meanwhile with XP I heard a lot of stuff that I find 'morally questionable' which tends to make me want to avoid it.

But if you can't go with Win2K, go with XP and give it a shot. Worst comes to worst, you can always reinstall 98, right?

Talonus
Loner
posted 05-21-2003 02:33:49 PM
Go for XP, but make sure to update. I held off for a good while on XP because it was worse than Win98 SE originally. Even with the patches, I've still had more annoying problems to deal with since I upgraded.
Dave
)_(
posted 05-21-2003 02:56:55 PM
I found my self asking the same question. I had 98se for the longest time but I wanted to upgrade. I picked up win xp pro at newegg for 133. I had to buy a hardware upgrade with it though. But still it was less than the normal 300 dollar price. Xp pro runs flawless for me. Its defently worth the upgrade.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-21-2003 03:04:02 PM
quote:
Dave got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I found my self asking the same question. I had 98se for the longest time but I wanted to upgrade. I picked up win xp pro at newegg for 133. I had to buy a hardware upgrade with it though. But still it was less than the normal 300 dollar price. Xp pro runs flawless for me. Its defently worth the upgrade.

Why did you buy the full version and not the upgrade version again?

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 05-21-2003 04:51:44 PM
So he doesn't have to install 98 first then XP everytime he reformats. That'd be my reason anyway.
Feed my hungry soul.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-21-2003 06:09:21 PM
Don't listen to the 2k advocates who HATE it when a machine, the very things that are intended to simplify our lives, do something for us (i.e. make things simpler).

XP all the way.

Dave
)_(
posted 05-21-2003 06:10:44 PM
I bought the full version because well... its the full version. I don't need any other cd's. My friends have had problems when they use upgrades so I just bought the full ver.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-21-2003 06:12:42 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Ragabash said:
So he doesn't have to install 98 first then XP everytime he reformats. That'd be my reason anyway.

Why would you install 98 totally?

I have the upgrade version. All I do is pop in my 98 CD when I want to install XP, and go from there. it just asks to put the CD in, then lets you do a fresh install.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-21-2003 06:15:11 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr probably says this to all the girls:
Why would you install 98 totally?

I have the upgrade version. All I do is pop in my 98 CD when I want to install XP, and go from there. it just asks to put the CD in, then lets you do a fresh install.

I LOVE THAT. Makes the upgrade edition very close to worth ze money.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm looking forward to actually having my first legal OS since Win98 when I buy my new computer at the end of the summer.

Bummey the Fool
Prefers to play with men
posted 05-21-2003 06:18:58 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent The Great Voldo said:
Oh yes. No more fucking crashes

No more crashes my ass. I've gotten the WXP's Blue Screen Of Death many, many times.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-21-2003 06:19:36 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool's account was hax0red to write:
No more crashes my ass. I've gotten the WXP's Blue Screen Of Death many, many times.

Welcome to the oppressed minority!

Talonus
Loner
posted 05-21-2003 06:21:36 PM
quote:
Verily, Bummey the Fool doth proclaim:

I got BSOD's every once in a blue moon with Win98 personally. On the other hand, I've had WinXP freeze up on me more than a few times.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 05-21-2003 07:18:17 PM
Go with WinXP. I've gotten it to BSOD, fewer times then I have fingers. Seriously, thinking hard about it I can only recall maybe 3 times I've gotten it to crash, and that was when I was trying to run some anchient games optomised for Win95/3.1 hehe.

Unless you have a generally unstable machine or some really freakish hardware configureation you should be fine. Just make sure to always get the newest drivers for your computer, they help to make everything run even smoother than it will from a fresh format.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-21-2003 07:35:12 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool had this to say about Punky Brewster:

Perhaps you should replace some of that flea market clearance sale hardware in your machine then.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-21-2003 07:35:39 PM
quote:
From the book of Drysart, chapter 3, verse 16:
Perhaps you should replace some of that flea market clearance sale hardware in your machine then.

heehee

Steven Steve
posted 05-21-2003 08:03:23 PM
Wait, Fal is a girl? What?
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-21-2003 08:17:44 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Fazum'Zen Fastfist:
Wait, Fal is a girl? What?

yeah d00d she's h0tz0r t00.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-21-2003 10:05:29 PM
If there's two options, and you don't mind not being able to boot up directly into DOS, go with XP. If you like the retro feel of DOS, go with 98. Keep in mind that 95 isn't supported at all anymore (it's 8 years old after all), so 98 probably isn't far behind.

I personally use 2k.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-21-2003 10:09:50 PM
Only thing that bars me from using 2k is the fact that it is SO fucking UGLY.
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 05-21-2003 10:11:58 PM
quote:
Bummey the Fool enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 05-21-2003 10:16:57 PM
<--- 98SE user since I got my last computer like 4 years or so ago. I would go to xp, but that would be A.) expensive, and B.) annoying when trying to play x-com: ufo defense which I hear is a pain to get to work on xp.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-21-2003 10:34:18 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Drysart wrote:
yeah d00d she's h0tz0r t00.

How would you know?

Drysart
Pancake
posted 05-21-2003 10:38:16 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about the Spice Girls:
How would you know?

Burger
BANNED!
posted 05-21-2003 10:41:17 PM
quote:
This one time, at Tatsukaze camp:

how do I check that?

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Maradon!
posted 05-21-2003 10:53:23 PM
I turn off my computer at night *gasp!*

I used Win98 for years and the crashes were horrendous. Used WinXP for years as well and I've never so much as had it lock up.

Ergo, my circumstantial evidence overrides yours.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-21-2003 10:54:10 PM
Tatsukaze uses hibernate! *gasp*

I know I would if I used a laptop

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 05-21-2003 11:00:19 PM
Damn X10 cameras.

Plz 2 not sell the videos.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 05-21-2003 11:02:08 PM
I have had 1 BSOD with windows XP. That was with my Dell a couple days after I got it while I was fucking with sound cards. It was Hardware related, not really OS related. I have been using XP since literally the day it came out so you do the math.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 05-21-2003 11:04:13 PM
quote:
Burger thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
how do I check that?

Start -> Run -> cmd -> systeminfo

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-21-2003 11:10:14 PM
Phenomenal up-times aren't that big a deal. The only reason I never had month-long uptimes with 98 is that 98 is a resources hog. You run something and some of your resources are freed back up when it's done, but a huge chunk of them aren't. So if you didn't do anything with 98, you could probably have it up and running for a month.

Meanwhile with 2k, I've noticed a HUGE "refund" in system resources when the machine's done with something. I do my usual things with the machine (websurfing, gaming, movie watching, picture editting, etc) and I can usually squeeze a month of use out of it before I have to empty the cache or reboot the machine. Never gotten any sort of BSOD. So for me, 2k is the way to go right now. I still have questions regarding XP, but they're personal issues.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-22-2003 12:46:30 AM
quote:
Tatsukaze had this to say about Cuba:
Start -> Run -> cmd -> systeminfo

Doesn't work.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-22-2003 12:48:00 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Delphi Aegis:
Doesn't work.

Works for me.

What do you mean by "doesn't work"? Does it not show the uptime, or does it say invalid command or something?

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 05-22-2003 12:49:54 AM
It's the cmd equivalent of "You typed that wrong, dumbshit".

So yes, Invalid command.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-22-2003 01:02:05 AM
=/

edit: That's a link by the way

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

Delphi Aegis
posted 05-22-2003 01:31:16 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about dark elf butts:
=/

edit: That's a link by the way

Yeah, I kinda figured that from the blue text.

Hooray for ignoring everyone individually.

How do you get it to the C:\ prompt, though? Mine has some shit about documents and settings, or .. whatever.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: