EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I feel like I've been punched in the gut
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-12-2003 07:21:21 PM
Well...I got the job. I'm going to be working in the IT department. The head of it wants me, and the other guy wants me. They think I'll be a great addition.

However, there's a setback. The head of the IS department, who is kind of the biggie of all IS/IT, says that there may not be a good situation financially to bring me into the IT department right now.

So, he's still reviewing it. It may not be financially feasible for as long as two months.

So I may still be stuck in this department, on this goddamned hateful phone, for two more months. And that's even if Dean doesn't decide that things are fine as they are and *never* says that it's financially feasible.

I feel sick. I feel like crying. I'm so stressed right now, having to be bright and cheerful to callers when I just want to sit and bawl my eyes out. I thought I was getting out.

I should have known better. Nothing good like this ever happens to me.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Big Rude Jake
Pancake
posted 05-12-2003 07:28:53 PM
The Lord works in mysterious ways, and He loves all his children, even if you can't see that all the time. Every cloud has a silver lining, so you must focus on the fact that there are two people out there in the workplace pulling for you. It hurts right now, but before long, I know that you'll be where you want to be.
Look into my eyes and see that I'm smiling back.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 05-12-2003 07:38:04 PM
The IT head, Jason, has assured me that he has intent to bring me into the department. But I don't know if I can last two more months in this one. I hate it. I just got back from vacation and I already hate it. I hate talking to idiots on the phone. I hate taking shit from people and having to just sit there and listen to them rant because "that's good customer service". I hate people not listening to me.

At least with the IT department, I would get some respect. I went on some calls with them, and they didn't get lip. They just had the person explain the problem, and the person went and did their thing and let them solve it.

I've wanted into that department since I knew I was going to major in computer science. That was my dream. Now there it is, crumbled down at my feet.

Mightion Defensor
posted 05-12-2003 07:41:44 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote:
The IT head, Jason, has assured me that he has intent to bring me into the department. But I don't know if I can last two more months in this one. I hate it. I just got back from vacation and I already hate it. I hate talking to idiots on the phone. I hate taking shit from people and having to just sit there and listen to them rant because "that's good customer service". I hate people not listening to me.

At least with the IT department, I would get some respect. I went on some calls with them, and they didn't get lip. They just had the person explain the problem, and the person went and did their thing and let them solve it.

I've wanted into that department since I knew I was going to major in computer science. That was my dream. Now there it is, crumbled down at my feet.

Look on the bright side - they at least offered you the IT job. Me? I'm stuck here indefinitely. Oh yeah, and you didn't just suddenly have ten days lopped off your promised sabbatical which was the only thing keeping me here for five years...

Do what I do. Leave your compassion at home.

anyway.

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 05-12-2003 07:47:06 PM
Cheer up.
There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Big Rude Jake
Pancake
posted 05-12-2003 07:50:01 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about the Spice Girls:

I know that every day you dread your job, that you feel like the proverbial Straw-Laden camel, but keep faith. Remember that there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel, that there will be a reward for all that you've suffered. You're being tested, your reserves are tapped, but look not inside yourself for more, look outside. You've got the Lord to sustain you, you've got a wonderful man that loves you, and you have friends that smile when they think of you. Draw strength from these, lean on them, that's what they're there for. You can make it through this time of waiting if you keep faith that you will.

There's always something to look forward to, to strive for, and you'll make it there sooner than you know.

Be strong.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 05-12-2003 07:56:53 PM
Only one thing to do in situation like this:

Corner the head of the IS/IT and threaten to force feed him his testicles if he doesn't give you the job now.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 05-12-2003 08:04:55 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. And I'm not religious, Jake, so I don't turn to God. But you do make a good point on taking comfort from my friends. It's just a really large blow. I set my heart on what looked to be a sure thing, and it didn't happen. So it hurts.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-12-2003 08:09:19 PM
Hey, hey, hey. I'm a big believer in "at least you tried."

This may have been a setback, yeah, but you went for the glory and that's what's important. It may not be too comforting right now, but in a month or two, you'll be able to say with pride that you didn't just let an opportunity pass.

Besides, the worst thing you can do right now is let it drag you down, yo. Keep it real, says Parcie B., Chicken of the Sea.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 05-12-2003 08:10:00 PM
Faith. Have faith.

A review dosen't mean you won't get it. It just means there are complications. Might not be able to for two months dosen't mean things can't pop up. You can offer your aid to them in sorting out this situation, which'll not onyl endear you more but help you get this position faster. And every day, no matter how hideous, always gives something to smile about... you can come home and relax, play with kiddos, talk to Deth, play games, scream at things, anything you need to relax.

Remember these words. They're sort of like a mantra of mine. "It could be worse." Because, well, generally, it could. Tends to put things in perspective and make you happy with what you have. Sure, I barely have enough money right now to keep my clothes together and my family hates me, but it could SO be worse. And then you're free to enjoy yourself, and put things out of your mind, and revel in what you DO have.

Have fun. Punch a plushie. You can stand it; I have faith in you .

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 05-12-2003 08:11:42 PM
*chuckles*

Thanks Parce.

And Jason did ask if there was anything he could do or tell me in the meantime. I asked him for a listing of things he thinks I should learn. And he's going to try to get me some of the CBT discs that they use.

So it will happen. Maybe. Unless Dean throws a stick in the spokes again. But I figured at least I can be learning what I need to, so when they can bring me over, they'll have less to train me on.

Mod
Pancake
posted 05-12-2003 08:14:30 PM
Hope it turns out for the better and you get the job sooner rather than later, good luck!
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Big Rude Jake
Pancake
posted 05-12-2003 08:23:57 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael was naked while typing this:
Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. And I'm not religious, Jake, so I don't turn to God. But you do make a good point on taking comfort from my friends. It's just a really large blow. I set my heart on what looked to be a sure thing, and it didn't happen. So it hurts.

You don't have to be religious to find God. He isn't the same for everyone. You may look inside yourself and see god's love warming your soul. You may see God in the love and adoration of a child, you may find God by stumbling blindly onto the realization that there's a difference between personal faith and religious dogma. God is not some distant, removed icon, he's all around us, in the tenderness of a loved one's touch, in the compassion you feel for the weak and the hungry.

You might not attach His name to all this, but instead call it human compassion, love, or just luck, but I believe that there are too many good things going on all the time for it to be just a coincidence.

I hope you find the strength somewhere to endure, because you deserve this job.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 05-12-2003 08:44:03 PM
Whenever you get down about your job, just remember;

I work at McDonald's.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 05-12-2003 08:50:02 PM
quote:
Comrade Snoota spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Whenever you get down about your job, just remember;

I work at McDonald's.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 05-12-2003 09:09:05 PM
Is there anyone even higher up the ladder than this Dean guy? A possible way to prevent him from keeping you there permanently is to get in contact with his own boss, along with the heads of the IT division, and make your situation known. Chances are, if you get this to the top of his/her mind, if Dean decides not to move you despite Jason and your wishes to move, they might just override his decision, if it truly is financially possible, which it most likely is, if the head of the IT department is ok with it.

Otherwise from that, all I can say is to keep at it, and take time to relax. The worst thing I did during two of the toughest months of classes I had was worry endlessly about what assignments I had due and what would be upcoming. I stuck with my strategy of working hard, but I also made sure to take a break when I needed it, and kept reminding myself that school was over for the summer after all of this. So, to summarize this analogy, keep your eyes on the prize, and take a breather when you need it.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 05-12-2003 10:25:41 PM
Yeah, the owner of the company, but she's a bigger cheapskate than even Dean.

What pisses me off most is that Dean okay'd my having a two-day evaluation period, this job was posted in the call center, and NOW he says it's not financially feasible. That's what pisses me off.

Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 05-12-2003 10:31:53 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Tron:
What pisses me off most is that Dean okay'd my having a two-day evaluation period, this job was posted in the call center, and NOW he says it's not financially feasible. That's what pisses me off.

I seriously hope it's just his financial confusion that's whats preventing it, and not something a little more sinister (ie: would prefer a male for the position.....)

*hugs Lyinar*

Hang in there Candace. I remember how bad it was being in a call centre (as both a Telemarketer and a CS rep) and I know how bad folks can be toward people just trying to earn a living.

As bad as it may seem now, things will get better though.

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 05-12-2003 10:36:37 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Abbikat said:

I seriously hope it's just his financial confusion that's whats preventing it, and not something a little more sinister (ie: would prefer a male for the position.....)

Oh definitely not. They want a woman for the position. If anything it could be my current department wants to keep me there till they get off their asses and find a replacement. Or the owner of the company is being cheap, which wouldn't surprise me either.

Of course, Dean is dating one of the people who's high up in the company, basically the owner's right hand gal. And she just got a promotion. Could just be they can't afford to bring me on at the salary I'd get cause they're too busy padding their own nests.

Maradon!
posted 05-12-2003 11:10:36 PM
At least they didn't red tape your ass out of the department just because you ALREADY WORK THERE
Saint George
Pancake
posted 05-13-2003 12:03:00 AM
Get it in writing. That the very next position in the IT department belongs to you. The VERY NEXT. That way they can't screw you later on down the road no matter what they decide now.
Cinnistyr
Pancake
posted 05-13-2003 02:47:00 PM
well, you could always do what I do in that same sort of telephone job, and dream up ways on paper to blow up those people who are such assholes and idiots all the time... or maybe thats just me being mega violent in a not so mega-violent way.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 05-13-2003 03:18:06 PM
I already do that

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: