EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I've been reading the Wheel of Time...
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-05-2003 06:01:41 AM
...and I'm about halfway through "The Eye of the World", and I must pose a question.

WHEN THE HELL DO THEY DO SOMETHING BESIDES RUN AND HIDE?!?

Seriously! Even in Lord of the Rings, it was usually the Hobbits who ran and hid and acted like pussies, at least Aragorn and Legolas stood and fought. In this book, even the two who are able to fight run and hide all the time!

I have no idea why this shit is so popular. The characters are boring, there is next to no action, and he spends more time describing how the heroes shit their pants when a butterfly lands 100 feet away than he does writing a plot.

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 05-05-2003 06:08:43 AM
wow..

I'm not the only one who thought that then...

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 05-05-2003 06:43:29 AM
Couldn't even finish first book.

Not even half of first book.

It's laying around here somewhere... should trade it in.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 05-05-2003 06:53:06 AM
I got through the first six books, than gave up.

Jordan has the very tolkienesque problem of feeling the need to describe anything and everything in the world, but what really kills the series is the way the world spins out of his control by book 5 or so.

If you like epic fantasy, read George Martin's "Fire and Ice" series instead. He has his world in gear, his character are more interesting, and he doesn't describe every tree the characters come across.

Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-05-2003 07:20:09 AM
I also have been reading it. I am at book 4 currently, and I will conquer WoT. Book one had few redeeming features, and the farmboys are very whiny, but it's been quite good onwards.

David Eddings owns his arse very hard and very true.

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: Dr. Pvednes, PhD ]

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-05-2003 08:10:17 AM
They stop and fight (somewhat) at the end of book 1. Then its out again on another chase until the end of book 2. Repeat for 3. Repeat for 4. Repeat for 5, but Rand is starting to turn into a bad-arse and enemies run from him.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-05-2003 08:14:28 AM
It does appear to be going that way..
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-05-2003 08:15:44 AM
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone.

Book One is very very very slow. Towards the end, it really starts to pick up. And then it never looks back. Through each book it just gets better and better.

Things will start to happen later on that make reference to things as far back as the first book that make you go "Whoa, didn't even notice that.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-05-2003 08:20:01 AM
Yeah. The series gets better with each book starting slow in 1st until Path of Daggers, which to me it seems to slow down again. Its getting better in Heart of Winter and Crossroads of Twilight.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Peter
Pancake
posted 05-05-2003 08:48:25 AM
I picked up "The Eye of the World" Tuesday, I just finshed reading "The Shadow Rising" yesterday..jebus that 4th one was fooking huge, I wonder if he is trying to compete with L. Ron Hubbard for biggest fooking book?
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-05-2003 08:51:36 AM
Its funny. RJ orginally said the series was only going to be a book or three long, but as he has wrote it, its grown and grown.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Sean
posted 05-05-2003 03:32:34 PM
And so Parcelan did squat above the ground; on legs which were old and worn, that had seen battle in many a land and on many a night. Tiny scars pock marked his calves from jolly runs through the forests of old; old times when there was no war, there was no strife, and there was no.. constipation.

His steel belt buckle was small and vibrant, glimmering in the sunlight as it always did. The buckle was brand new, purchased from the GAP down on fourth street; the same street this young prairie dog wanna-be has spent many nights swaggering down, looking for a place to vomit after a night of drinking and merryment.

From his stained and brown burlap sack he removed a single item. Not two, not three, just one. It was a cardboard tube, mass manufactured in only God knows where, with shimmering white sheets of thin paper twirled around the tube. The original idea for such a product is as old as 1391. Chinese emperors ordered paper in sheets, six-foot-square sheets much larger than the three-by-three inches young Parcelan is using now.

His face..

Fuck this, my hands are cramping up, and the mental images of Parcelan taking a shit will surely drive me mad if I continue.

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: DƒU ]

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-05-2003 03:33:36 PM
<shudders>
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-05-2003 03:50:18 PM
The thing is, a good fantasy story should pull you in right away. What it shouldn't do is spend five fucking chapters telling you how a fucking farmboy peed his pants because he thought he saw a black rider.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-05-2003 03:53:15 PM
Its an epic Parce. A freaking huge epic.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-05-2003 03:58:58 PM
Just because it's long is no excuse for it to be boring.

He spends chapter after chapter establishing characters that are all the same. There is a vague difference between the characters.

Rand is scared and has a sword.
Mat is scared and has weak attempts at being the comic relief.
Perrin is scared and talks to wolves.
Egwene is scared and is a girl.
Thom is a gleeman.

That's about it.

And seriously, this whole 'Light and Dark' concept is so overdone and basic it's ridiculous. Light is always good. Dark is always bad. Fuck, they could at least give it a name or something.

Ragabash
Pancake
posted 05-05-2003 03:59:45 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bajah said:
I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone.

Book One is very very very slow. Towards the end, it really starts to pick up. And then it never looks back. Through each book it just gets better and better.

Things will start to happen later on that make reference to things as far back as the first book that make you go "Whoa, didn't even notice that.

MAYBE considered a spoiler, but...

This is true until the last 3 books, in my opinion. It's been progressively downhill lately. Personally, I despise almost every female in these books and the last 3 have concentrated on them so much it's pissing me off. Each to their own though

edit: clarified something.

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: Ragabash ]

Feed my hungry soul.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 05-05-2003 04:07:16 PM
I still have yet to finish the first book, and I have been trying for over a year
MorbId
Pancake
posted 05-05-2003 10:36:31 PM
While Robert Jordan claims that he iss still in control of the series, that's a blatant lie. He's got much too caught up in subplots and intrigues, and layered plots upon layered plots. There's no way he can tie it up in a few books like he wants to. Likewise, the chance of even the main plot having a decent ending are getting slimmer and slimmer.

I've read up to the start of Crossroads of Twilight, mainly because I liked the Forsaken. But now, whenever they start to do something interesting, Rand shows up and kills them immediately.

Steven Steve
posted 05-05-2003 10:52:33 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It seems like the same scenario over and over. Run through woods, go to town, figure out bad guys are in town, escape, run through woods, go to town, figure out bad guys are in town, escape, run through woods, go to town, figure out bad guys are in town, escape, run through woods, go to town...
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 05-05-2003 11:17:13 PM
It's slowing down because it's winding to an end - many subplots are being wrapped up.

THAT is why it is starting to slow down. Personally, I like the story and how it has progressed and also how it's starting to wind down for the finale.

The first book was very slow.. even I had to struggle through it. By the time it ended, though, I was ready to start the next.. and then the next.

It starts off slow, yes, but once it gets rolling, it keeps going.

Anyone who expects it to not wind down apparently is looking for a neverending story.

If you don't like the books, then don't read them. If you can hang tough and get past all the groundwork, you'll get more and more depth and story to understand and follow with.

MorbId... you're just so wrong, it hurts me on many levels. How much have you read? Rather, how much have you comprehended? The Forsaken are doing a lot more than you apparently think and death hasn't even stopped a few of them.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-05-2003 11:29:02 PM
SLOWING DOWN?! It didn't even speed up! What the hell are you smokin'?!
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-05-2003 11:35:50 PM
Parce, have your read any other 10+ book series so far?
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Steven Steve
posted 05-05-2003 11:45:01 PM
Animorphs
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-05-2003 11:57:05 PM
I actually liked the first book. I forgave the fact that it was somewhat drawn out and slow because it was also the introduction to a new world setting, one that was going to be used in a story of epic size and with many references to its past.

I gave up after Crown of Swords. It had allready become clear to me that he had no intention of taking the story decently to its end. It was starting to drag out, with stuff getting thrown in for no good reason. I decided to wait till book 10 came out, and then, MAYBE, read it all again.

Silly me. What made me think he would end it at book 10?

I'm sorry, but I now feel that WoT is one of the biggest peices of literary shit ever written. There is no more feeling for the characters, just a desire to see them die so that it will all end at last. Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Parce, throw the book away. Don't even keep it so you can rip the pages out to wipe with. This series causes burnout worse than EQ ever did.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-06-2003 12:07:02 AM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about (_|_):
Parce, have your read any other 10+ book series so far?

That doesn't excuse it. Not by a longshot.

More books should equal more story. It shouldn't take one whole fucking book to set up shit.

Steven Steve
posted 05-06-2003 12:08:12 AM
Yeah, the series really caused burnout when I threw away the first fucking book after reading 400 pages

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-06-2003 12:19:32 AM
quote:
Iron Parcelan had this to say about Captain Planet:
That doesn't excuse it. Not by a longshot.

More books should equal more story. It shouldn't take one whole fucking book to set up shit.

When you can write 1000 page ish books in a huge series and keep it interesting from the beginning without setting much up to explain whats going on in later books, we'll talk. ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-06-2003 12:26:30 AM
quote:
Katrinity probably says this to all the girls:
When you can write 1000 page ish books in a huge series and keep it interesting from the beginning without setting much up to explain whats going on in later books, we'll talk. ^.^

You don't have to be able to write bad books to know a bad book when you see it.

You're just trying to defend something you think is cool, but is a literary abomination. Ergo, if you continue to speak, we will bomb you.

Steven Steve
posted 05-06-2003 12:30:28 AM
WoT sucks

Zair
The Imp
posted 05-06-2003 12:36:12 AM
quote:
From the book of Katrinity, chapter 3, verse 16:

It can be done

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-06-2003 12:50:24 AM
I can see the Song of Ice and Fire series winding down in 2 books or so.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-06-2003 12:53:07 AM
Personally, Parce, I don't find the series in the least bit boring (except for notable acception of Path of Daggers (gah!)) and I've know English professors, who have bloody degrees in Literature to love and remark highly on the series. So you don't like the series, fine. People don't like various things all the time, but stop trying to put it down as horrible books and poor writing skills just from your own prejudices.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-06-2003 12:55:21 AM
quote:
Katrinity thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Which is what WoT should have done.

Then, if he wanted to write some more books sets in the WoT world, he could have. That would have been the way to go.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-06-2003 12:55:30 AM
Poor dear, your mind has clearly gone.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-06-2003 12:58:38 AM
It was the brain leeches! They got me
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Error
Pancake
posted 05-06-2003 01:00:23 AM
quote:
Iron Parcelan had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
...and I'm about halfway through "The Eye of the World", and I must pose a question.

WHEN THE HELL DO THEY DO SOMETHING BESIDES RUN AND HIDE?!?

Seriously! Even in Lord of the Rings, it was usually the Hobbits who ran and hid and acted like pussies, at least Aragorn and Legolas stood and fought. In this book, even the two who are able to fight run and hide all the time!

I have no idea why this shit is so popular. The characters are boring, there is next to no action, and he spends more time describing how the heroes shit their pants when a butterfly lands 100 feet away than he does writing a plot.

Amen! I have been saying this all along. AMEN!

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 05-06-2003 01:01:15 AM
This from the person who thought the Sword of Truth seris is better written.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Zair
The Imp
posted 05-06-2003 01:01:29 AM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about Pirotess:

Well, he only plans three more books...

In the three books out at the moment however, the plot is only accelerating from book to book. Little to no time at the beggining of each book is spent summarizing what happened at the end of the last one. The numerous PoV's also help to keep it interesting...

Tyrion Lannister > any character in WoT

Steven Steve
posted 05-06-2003 01:04:07 AM
The Sword of Truth series IS better written

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: