EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Fellow Koolance users
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2003 01:49:37 PM
I know Waisz has one, but I can't remember if anyone else does, so I'll slip this in here for anyone else and for those thinking about watercooling.

Koolance has a new cooler, 21K internal and external gold plating, with a pure copper underside. They can be used on video and motherboard chipsets.

I'm picking up two of these puppies.

Saint George
Pancake
posted 04-23-2003 01:54:08 PM
What do they cost?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2003 01:54:46 PM
Around $20 US, I believe.
Saint George
Pancake
posted 04-23-2003 01:56:40 PM
Hmm. Never seen one of these. You know if they are silent compared to most fans? I'm assuming they are used instead of a cooling fan?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2003 01:58:30 PM
http://www.koolance.com/

Seek answers there. I'm a lazy bastard.

Maradon!
posted 04-23-2003 01:59:31 PM
quote:
Saint George spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Hmm. Never seen one of these. You know if they are silent compared to most fans? I'm assuming they are used instead of a cooling fan?

1) Yes they are silent

2) You also need an all-out watercooling rig. Look to spend around $600 bucks on the whole thing.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 04-23-2003 05:05:15 PM
quote:
Bill thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
1) Yes they are silent

2) You also need an all-out watercooling rig. Look to spend around $600 bucks on the whole thing.

probably closer to around $150-250, if you already have a computer and a computer case.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 04-23-2003 05:42:56 PM
That looks nice, but I just recently opened my watercooling and added some normal chipset coolers. They work fine, and I don't feel like breaking anything.

Maradon, that's way beyond the normal price. Even with one of their cases, $600 seems high.

Full server tower: $300
Water blocks: $150 at the most, cooling everything

That's $450. You might add a new power supply for insurance, I guess, but most people have one they're happy with.

Not silent, either. You still will want case fans, even if those are quiet, and the radiator has fans that can be heard on accelerated cooling mode.

I find it funny the gold water block is only $3 more than the non-gold kind.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2003 06:14:03 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? had this to say:
That looks nice, but I just recently opened my watercooling and added some normal chipset coolers. They work fine, and I don't feel like breaking anything.

Indeed, but I'd prefer to re-tube my system anyway. I used the crappy thermal paste when I was constructing it, so I'd like to change that to Arctic (Artic?) Silver.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 04-23-2003 06:18:15 PM
I've heard good things about Arctic Silver III, but I use Arctic Alumina in my system because it, unlike AS3, is non-conductive.

I wouldn't want mis-conductions going on in my baby.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 04-23-2003 06:30:16 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I've heard good things about Arctic Silver III, but I use Arctic Alumina in my system because it, unlike AS3, is non-conductive.

I wouldn't want mis-conductions going on in my baby.

yup. Arctic silver 3 is currently the most popular "high end" thermal paste, but Arctic lumina has almost identical performance (within fractions of a degree fahrenheit), is cheaper, and does not conduct electricity, making it even better for use on your GPU, northbridge, southbridge, mosfets and ram. There is also arctic alumina epoxy, which conducts heat almost as well, and is great for attaching small heatsinks without retention clips (like tweakmonster ramsinks, or other homemade small heatsinks).

If you want even better thermal transfers, there's the new Ceramique made by the same company, that conducts heat even better, and is electrically resistive. It's gooooooood stuff.

And best of all is Shin Etsu thermal paste. It's hard to find, difficult to work with, but you'll experience a temperature drop of a couple degrees over even ceramique. If you do get some, I've heard that putting the tube in a glass of hot water will make it a little easier to spread...

Other than good thermal paste, you can lap your heatsinks/waterblocks, in order to get a couple degrees of drop. Just get a sheet of glass, and some 400, 600, and 1000 grit sandpaper, and gently wet-sand the contact surface of your cooling solution until it's mirrir-smooth. Then clean it with rubbing alcohol, clean your heatsource with rubbing alcohol, re-apply the thermal paste, and you're all set.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Snugglits
posted 04-23-2003 06:33:49 PM
Actually, I find people who lap to be too extreme. I use alcohol to clean everything before putting paste on, but I couldn't see going further than that.

Lapping could make short work of any processor, right? Oh, nevermind, just the waterblock. That's not too bad, but Koolance already sends CPU waterblocks with a nice mirror finish.

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: Where's Waisz? ]

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 04-23-2003 06:35:36 PM
I'd prefer not to lap the mirror-finish gold plating on my CPU block, thanks all the same.
Snugglits
posted 04-23-2003 06:38:57 PM
On a completely unrelated note, I noticed I can see around the plastic cover in the unused 5.25" drive. I can see out the window, even, and the light coming through lets me read the top of my DVD-burner. Actually, it doesn't even look like a window from that angle. It just looks like a hole in the side of the case.

Nifty.

[ 04-23-2003: Message edited by: Where's Waisz? ]

Burger
BANNED!
posted 04-23-2003 06:47:29 PM
quote:
Baron Von Mortay got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I'd prefer not to lap the mirror-finish gold plating on my CPU block, thanks all the same.

AHA!

Still applies though if you have a cooling solution without a nice smooth finish, or one that's not completely flat. Sometimes there's a perfect finish, but the block is concave, and you're getting a nice big air bubble right in the middle of your processor...

Not fun...

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: