EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Oh no, not Everquest!
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 04-20-2003 09:50:54 PM
It's still beckoning me to start it back up. I haven't played it in months. I probably haven't seriously played in over a year.

But I still want it.

I had so many days logged on my main. I need some kind of addiction number...

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Maradon!
posted 04-20-2003 09:51:36 PM
I don't know when I last played, but I still have absolutely no drive to play that game. at all.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 04-20-2003 09:52:08 PM
quote:
Verily, Bill doth proclaim:
I don't know when I last played, but I still have absolutely no drive to play that game. at all.

Really? It's not obvious at all.

[ 04-20-2003: Message edited by: Where's Waisz? ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-20-2003 09:52:51 PM
Should start it back up again. So many changes have been made since you last played.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Maradon!
posted 04-20-2003 09:53:20 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Tron:
Should start it back up again. So many changes have been made since you last played.

And so very much has stayed the same

Snugglits
posted 04-20-2003 09:55:15 PM
I don't know if Waisztarroz would still be there. I had a friend on my account for a bit, but that too was months ago.

To be honest, being a newbie > being high level.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 04-20-2003 09:56:17 PM
I would play EQ again... but I played DAOC. And I remember EQ. Then I compare it to DAOC. And I play DAOC some more!
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 04-20-2003 10:04:02 PM
quote:
Bill stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Snugglits
posted 04-20-2003 10:05:17 PM
I'm feeling really odd right now. It's like I'm in yet another stage of transition; I want to do everything I've enjoyed before, but I also abhor doing anything.

Must resist...the evil one...must resist Sony...

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 04-20-2003 10:19:08 PM
It's kinda like that... for the first few months after you quit EQ, you're like "GOTTA HAVE MY EQ!!", and eventually a year or so later you don't know what the hell you saw in it and don't want to touch the box for fear of infection, but every once in a while might go back out of curiosity...

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-20-2003 10:21:13 PM
EQ is fun.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-20-2003 10:23:03 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I don't know if Waisztarroz would still be there. I had a friend on my account for a bit, but that too was months ago.

To be honest, being a newbie > being high level.

Could play on a new server.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 04-20-2003 10:23:22 PM
quote:
Nicole spewed forth this undeniable truth:
...and eventually a year or so later you don't know what the hell you saw in it and don't want to touch the box for fear of infection...

Hell, I reached that point when I was still playing. It was the fascist death penalty that finally did me in. And to think that it had been decreased since EQ was released; outrageous!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-20-2003 10:44:29 PM
Leveling is nicer without the hell levels, too.

Maradon!
posted 04-20-2003 10:53:04 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Lyinar Ka`Bael said:
Leveling is nicer without the hell levels, too.

It's still the same amount of experience to get from 1-50, you know

Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-20-2003 11:07:47 PM
quote:
Bill was listening to Cher while typing:
It's still the same amount of experience to get from 1-50, you know

I don't think so. I think they resolved the hell levels by adding a plus-percent modifier to experience you earn on the levels formerly known as hell levels.

I think they've made other adjustments too, since the new Drysart gains experience much, much faster than the old Drysart did (even though he's level 42 now and the old Drysart was in the late teens).

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-20-2003 11:14:10 PM
Not to mention the bonuses they've given lots of areas, especially the Luclin zones. Fantastic experience up there, even if the loot is sometimes crappy.

Nina
posted 04-21-2003 12:09:06 AM
quote:
Drysart wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I don't think so.

Nope, they said it themselves, they smoothed the exp curve but just put the exp from hell levels elsewhere.

Lashanna
noob
posted 04-21-2003 12:23:35 AM
Waisz. I'm level 52 now, got a few AAXP points...

I'm actually having a good bit of fun, went up to Hate today, got a wizard item, which is also part of Necro epic.... so i'm gonna get some money off that...

It's great fun.

And honestly, Low Levels aren't as much fun as they used to be, considering, atleast on most servers I've seen, very few people actually PLAY the low levels anymore.

Most people seem to have a high level friend or high level secondary account that they PL with.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-21-2003 01:08:39 AM
quote:
Lashanna impressed everyone with:
And honestly, Low Levels aren't as much fun as they used to be, considering, atleast on most servers I've seen, very few people actually PLAY the low levels anymore.

Most people seem to have a high level friend or high level secondary account that they PL with.

Actually, that can be a good thing.

Lots of the fun lower level places are more open now than they used to be. While the lack of people can sometimes make it hard to get a group, it can sometimes make it easier too. (Because you're the only one around to fill an empty slot.)

If you like playing a low level, AS a low level (with mild to no twinking), it's still fun.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Maradon!
posted 04-21-2003 01:31:24 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Tier:
Nope, they said it themselves, they smoothed the exp curve but just put the exp from hell levels elsewhere.

Yup.

I remember because I made a graph in excel of the difference with and without hell levels.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-21-2003 04:00:45 AM
Define "Low Levels". These days you can get from 1-20 in a day of sitting around, or two of casual play. It's insanely easy to level now...add to the mix the fact PoK stones cut down on travel time and you're really golden. Mid-range (21 to say 50) is a lot of fun. I'm having a blast with my shaman, even on nights where I don't get uber XP. Moreover, it's a choice...I can get moderate XP and goof off half the nigh, or I can get sweet, sweet XP and actually work on it. In the past, levelling seemed like an irritating, daunting thing to do. Now I look forward to it more, and there's more for me to do at 39.

The curve may be smooth, but there's zones with better XP than others, zones better geared to certain classes, and let's face it, more zones period. Play in Ruins of Kunark era was annoying. With all the expansions now? Easy as pie. Smooth sailing. I'm looking forward to the planes in my near future.

I think the thing that appeals most to me with EQ these days is that the committment of time to be worthwhile isn't there. In the past if you didn't dedicate an inordinate chunk of your life to EQ, you might as well not play. These days that's plain not the case. Game casual. Hour or two here and there and you'll still go up nice and fast.

Pretty cool.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Snugglits
posted 04-21-2003 04:49:07 AM
I'll never be newbie like I was at first, though.

Starting and exploring was what made the game the best. I wasted my money on spells I couldn't use at first until I realized how to read all that, for example.

Man, that was long ago. I wasn't just new to the game, I was new to the genre and all RPGs that played similarly. My RPG experience was pretty much just Final Fantasy. A friend of mine told me about the game, and I played it with him.

Still, even grinding experience could be fun. There's nothing like the thrill of filling a bar.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 04-21-2003 05:16:43 AM
I want to play EQ more....

Then I get the memories... memories of long hours spent on finding a group that would accept a Cleric who likes to tank...

what the heck am I wearing armor and wielding a warhammer for anyway?!?

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 04-21-2003 08:06:13 AM
Actually I have having more fun than ever before in the EQ MAC Beta. No twinks no powergamers. It is great.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Maradon!
posted 04-21-2003 08:10:26 AM
quote:
Kennatsu impressed everyone with:

You should have played a warrior and just pretended you were a cleric who could tank

Meridian
Pancake
posted 04-21-2003 10:34:22 AM
I think I'm enjoying it more than I have in a long time. Some of it is because I'm not stuck in the timesinks right now, but a lot of it has to do with the good group of people I'm guilded with. We're proving that you can be a roleplay guild and be successful in EQ (granted not as fast and uber as some raiding guilds, but we had two Dain kills last week - others on the server were saying we couldn't do it).
Meridian Ascendant
Lacking a witty sig-phrase since 2001.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 04-21-2003 11:40:52 AM
My attention had been drawn to DAoC for awhile. Then as more features were added, I started looking back at EQ. Not to mention there's still this constant drive to want to play it still regardless.

Heck, I had fun yesterday grabbing a KEI or two and working on maxing out Rhiannah's spell casting skills.

Just something about it.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Archer-Penguin
Pancake
posted 04-21-2003 11:46:11 AM
I only ever played Everquest for one day, and I went straight back to Dark Age ^.^

[center]
Ta-Daa![/center]
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 04-21-2003 11:55:48 AM
Been having great fun getting characters that I used to have to fight for spawns with in even the low level zones up to mid-twenties thanks to PoP stones and Paludal Caverns. Focus items also help tremendously, plus making lots of money off of bandits plus the bazaar has allowed me to get new gear ten times as fast thanks to lowered prices. With new weapons/items, things are easier than ever before, but still fun. And with an occasional KEI for my casters/priests, life is golden.

The only trouble I'm having right now is finding a place to keep the exp train going past 25. HHK is great when I can get a group there, but typically there's only one or two groups there, usually all full. Been trying Marus Seru, but finding a good place to pull coupled with a mob of appropriate difficulty can get bothersome. A good place for grouping would be great, but most of the places I knew from earlier like Unrest and others have all been abandoned. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I'm sort of sick of people PL'ing others through, or making highly twinked alts, which takes away from the experience in my opinion, which is why I've never gotten anyone to PL a lower character of mine, but twinking is ok, so long as you don't totally break that character. An example of good twinking is where you're helping your own characters advance via hand-me-downs ie a lvl 24 character donating his former 50pp armor item to a lvl 8 alt is fine, but buying a lvl 15 character an item that costs 12k...that's excessive.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 04-21-2003 03:42:41 PM
I add nothing to this thread except to say, that after 22 days playing time, spread out over the course of the last year..

KaLourin is now lv 50.

That is all.

omgz, i got the powerup and won the game.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-21-2003 03:48:54 PM
quote:
Where's Waisz? had this to say about Cuba:
I'll never be newbie like I was at first, though.

Starting and exploring was what made the game the best. I wasted my money on spells I couldn't use at first until I realized how to read all that, for example.

Man, that was long ago. I wasn't just new to the game, I was new to the genre and all RPGs that played similarly. My RPG experience was pretty much just Final Fantasy. A friend of mine told me about the game, and I played it with him.

Still, even grinding experience could be fun. There's nothing like the thrill of filling a bar.

I remember on day 3 or so, when my wife started an Elf. I was an Erudite, so I decided to meet up with her on the other side of the universe.

That was when the Giant Spiders were aggressive. Ouch.

That was when no one was in Highpass Hold. Few people had even been there. I can't remember how many times I died trying to find my way through that damned mountain pass.

It was quite the adventure, though!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-21-2003 08:38:01 PM
quote:
Azrael Heavenblade painfully thought these words up:

The only trouble I'm having right now is finding a place to keep the exp train going past 25. HHK is great when I can get a group there, but typically there's only one or two groups there, usually all full. Been trying Marus Seru, but finding a good place to pull coupled with a mob of appropriate difficulty can get bothersome. A good place for grouping would be great, but most of the places I knew from earlier like Unrest and others have all been abandoned. Any suggestions?

Marus Seru and Dawnshroud Peaks are good places to go at this level. In MS, you can try pulling the non-aggressive creatures (stonegrabbers for instance) to the bandit camps. The Recuso won't KS you, because they're not aggressive to those, and they will kill the bugs and zels that might aggro. Or you can just fight close to a camp and run there if you get in trouble.

Dawnshroud is very nice, but stay away from the zones. They are constantly being trained. The zelniaks aren't social there, and they don't aggro. Neither do the tribals. The lightcrawlers and wolves there do, but there are spots, like a nice bit of water that is near both the ME zone line and the GE zone line where zelniaks and tribals pass by constantly and you hardly ever seen wolves and lightcrawlers in the area.

Taeolas
Pancake
posted 04-21-2003 11:08:46 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Kennatsu wrote:
I want to play EQ more....

Then I get the memories... memories of long hours spent on finding a group that would accept a Cleric who likes to tank...

You know Cleric's get Bash now too as well as some sweet summoned hammers in the late 50's game.

Personally, as a cleric, as long as I keep everyone alive and healthy, I'll be in there swinging with the tanks and bashing away, depending on my mood. And if the cleric I'm grouped with (when I'm not main cleric) wants to do the same good for them, and I rarely see groups that complain about that. (As long as you are keeping people healed of course. If you are concentrating more on Offense rather than Healing, then you might as well just create a Paladdin.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 04-22-2003 04:07:49 AM
To the groups I was with, I'm a pure caster, much like a Wizard. As such, I'm NOT supposed to tank; I'm SUPPOSED to stay in the back and keep everyone alive. I do keep everyone alive as best as I can, but I just can't sit in the back and meditate all day while everyone else is bashing/nuking/charming away at the mobs. I would love to use offensive spells as well, but there's no way to quickly recover the mana I need in case I need that all powerful healing spell. I do plan on going back to EQ soon, though... and start out as a rogue!
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-22-2003 05:32:54 PM
quote:
This one time, at Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael camp:
Define "Low Levels". These days you can get from 1-20 in a day of sitting around, or two of casual play. It's insanely easy to level now

Just how do you go about doing that? I play casually, but I get nowhere near that kind of speed.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-22-2003 05:36:59 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about Robocop:
Just how do you go about doing that? I play casually, but I get nowhere near that kind of speed.

You would have to sit in EQ and level cram all day, but you could do it, especially with PC's help.

PLing will speed it up, too.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-22-2003 05:40:54 PM
Ah, for me, level cramming isn't casual play. Ok. I was wondering if I was missing out on some big EQ secret or something.

As it is, my usual hunting partner and twink/transfer assistant isn't able to play EQ right now, and it's annoying. I keep seeing all these great toys that I would love to get for a couple of my characters, but they're not the ones with the money. Oh well.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 04-22-2003 05:48:15 PM
Nah, level cramming. And if you send me a PM sometime when you want to transfer, Chibi, I can make a level 1 to give you a hand or such on whatever server you are.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 04-22-2003 05:59:07 PM
Nah, I'll survive with rusty weapons and the such. Cool weapons are nice and all, but hardly the best thing for a starting character to gain skill with.

If you kill the goblin in one hit, you don't get many chances for skill gain.

Edit: And I'm thinking of making a new character on another server anyway. Just to try stuff till my partner gets back online.

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited by: Palador ChibiDragon ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: