EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Topic Closing!!
Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-14-2003 12:57:54 AM
You can now close your own topics by using the "Close Topic" icon at the bottom center of a thread page. You can also re-open your own topics using the "Open Topic" icon that replaces it.

Opening a topic that's been closed by a moderator will result in an immediate ban, so don't do it.

nem-x
posted 04-14-2003 12:59:23 AM
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 04-14-2003 01:00:10 AM
Cool.
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 04-14-2003 01:04:12 AM
Beautiful.

Nice feature.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 04-14-2003 01:05:58 AM
Quality.

And when I say, 'Quality', I mean, 'Now all those supersensitive people will be closing their threads left and right!' Indeed!

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: Black Mage ]

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-14-2003 01:08:57 AM
Did we used to be able to do this, or am I smoking too much weed?
Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 04-14-2003 01:10:38 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Iron Parcelan said this:

And you've yet to share...

Sean
posted 04-14-2003 01:18:06 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Black Mage said:
And when I say, 'Quality', I mean, 'Now all those supersensitive people will be closing their threads left and right!' Indeed!

[00:47:14] <D> That will only end in abuse
[00:47:31] <D> "Hey Parce! You're a fag!" *close*

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-14-2003 01:20:47 AM
quote:
This one time, at Iron Parcelan camp:

Yeah... a looong time ago when the forums still ran UBB 5. The feature was lost when I upgraded to UBB 6.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 04-14-2003 01:21:06 AM
quote:
DƒU had this to say about Duck Tales:
[00:47:14] <D> That will only end in abuse
[00:47:31] <D> "Hey Parce! You're a fag!" *close*

Just for you, babe.

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: Black Mage ]

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Sean
posted 04-14-2003 01:24:28 AM
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-14-2003 01:38:44 AM
and the villagers rejoiced!
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-14-2003 01:43:59 AM
While this does seem like a good idea at first, what are the parameters for using this?

I foresee a rash of people making posts simply to insult others, then closing them so no one can reply. Among various other abuses.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 04-14-2003 01:48:30 AM
[shake'n'bake commercial]"And I helped!"[/shake'n'bake commercial]
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-14-2003 02:39:45 AM
quote:
T. E. Bloodsage had this to say about Captain Planet:
While this does seem like a good idea at first, what are the parameters for using this?

I foresee a rash of people making posts simply to insult others, then closing them so no one can reply. Among various other abuses.

I'd hope we had more maturity than that here, but barring that, I'd hope Drysart and the mods would handle that sort of thing.

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: Lyinar Ka`Bael ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-14-2003 03:05:28 AM
I imagine the mods would come down on a thread like that just as hard as they'd come down on any other thread created for the express purpose of taking a shot at someone.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-14-2003 03:16:28 AM
I can see this having potential benefits for cooling off dicussions teetering on the verge of flamewars, or once the shit has hit the fan, to stop the inevitable flamewar that ensues shortly thereafter.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 04-14-2003 05:59:19 AM
I like! and.. you can actually see Drys' journal entries now.
Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 04-14-2003 07:35:05 AM
I support this.
diadem
eet bugz
posted 04-14-2003 09:51:38 AM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I imagine the mods would come down on a thread like that just as hard as they'd come down on any other thread created for the express purpose of taking a shot at someone.

that and the fact everyone will see the offender as a coward and an asshole.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-14-2003 01:02:39 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by T. E. Bloodsage:
I foresee a rash of people making threads with the topic, "In this thread, you must insult..." and the first post containing only someone's name, after which the creator locks the thread so no one can actually post insults. After about ten of those threads, someone will post a thread with the same topic, and the text, "...people making locked insult threads!" which the creator may or may not lock.

But that's just a guess on my part, based on past trends.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

sigeA ihpleD
.raewrednu ruoy tuoba gnihtynA .gnihtyna em ksA .elcaro ehT .thgir s'tahT .ihpleD
posted 04-14-2003 03:32:33 PM
quote:
Dr. Pvednes, PhD had this to say about Knight Rider:
I like! and.. you can actually see Drys' journal entries now.

Second journal entry: 475 days ago

Har har.

.tniop doog ylriaf a edam ihpleD :hteD
.tniop yreve no tcerroc %001 si ihpleD :suiraD
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 04-14-2003 05:14:47 PM
I support this fully, and have already used it

Thanks drys

BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 04-14-2003 05:26:41 PM
wimp.
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-15-2003 02:22:58 AM
quote:
Beaukat a.k.a Nibbles impressed everyone with:
wimp.

And this also illustrates the drawback to the system: you clarified your intent with respect to your comments in the closed thread, but I'm unable to reply suitably to acknowledge your meaning was other than several of us had taken it.

Now we'll see a rash of angsty, "Oh no, my thread didn't produce the love and attention I crave, so I'll close it and go pout," responses.

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 04-15-2003 08:15:26 AM
Bloodsage, it's not like this hasn't happened before.

All Drys did was take the middleman out in closing threads.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 04-15-2003 08:42:01 AM
And I've always thought it rather wimpy to whine to the moderators to close your thread just because you don't like the direction the conversation is going.

If flames cross the line, the moderators are there to enforce the rules. What's the problem, otherwise?

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 04-15-2003 10:34:34 AM
Ehh, I have to agree with Bloodsage here. Unrestricted access to whimpering out of any consequenses to what you say isn't a too great idea, in my opinion.

But, Drys' board, Drys' law.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 04-15-2003 11:09:10 AM
As one benefit, thread locking can prevent a thread from getting rezzed. This is useful for threads which you might want to show people, but which are intended not to receive generic comments after they have run their course. I'm referring mainly to roleplay threads, though its uses are not so limited.

Yes, the thread locking feature will get abused. Nearly every new feature gets abused. But that'll calm down after a while, and it'll become just another nifty little button that's there when you need it.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 04-15-2003 08:48:29 PM
quote:
T. E. Bloodsage had this to say about Optimus Prime:
And I've always thought it rather wimpy to whine to the moderators to close your thread just because you don't like the direction the conversation is going.

Gotta agree there

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-15-2003 09:33:27 PM
I've seen too many people say "Man every thread you start turns into a flame war" comments from people in the past. Sometimes your thread that started innocently enough turns into a flame war you don't care for and don't want to be associated with. So you ask for it to be closed. No harm done. You started the thread, you're taking some responsiblity for what happens to it, even if it goes in a direction you don't favor.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Drakkenmaw
Crunchy, tastes good with ketchup
posted 04-16-2003 04:01:29 PM
quote:
This one time, at Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael camp:
I've seen too many people say "Man every thread you start turns into a flame war" comments from people in the past. Sometimes your thread that started innocently enough turns into a flame war you don't care for and don't want to be associated with. So you ask for it to be closed. No harm done. You started the thread, you're taking some responsiblity for what happens to it, even if it goes in a direction you don't favor.

Indeed.

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 04-17-2003 09:42:31 PM
Does this apply across all the forums or just the main boards?
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-17-2003 09:57:08 PM
quote:
Azrael Heavenblade had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Does this apply across all the forums or just the main boards?

All forums.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-17-2003 10:04:59 PM
quote:
Drysart had this to say about Captain Planet:
All forums.

Even forums in Cuba?

Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-17-2003 10:08:38 PM
quote:
Iron Parcelan probably says this to all the girls:
Even forums in Cuba?

Yeah. Castro is a pussy.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-17-2003 10:12:07 PM
quote:
Drysart painfully thought these words up:
Yeah. Castro is a pussy.

Oho! You're awful bold when CNN says he's dead!

Drysart
Pancake
posted 04-17-2003 11:24:31 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Iron Parcelan said:
Oho! You're awful bold when CNN says he's dead!

I had nothing to do with it this time, I swear.

King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 04-17-2003 11:33:43 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Drysart said this:
I had nothing to do with it this time, I swear.

I can see why you did it to Spears...but why Castro? He seems like a pretty cool guy!

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 04-19-2003 01:10:24 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Iron Parcelan:
Even forums in Cuba?

This explains Trent...

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: