EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I luv Zonealarm!
Led
*kaboom*
posted 03-28-2003 06:02:32 PM
So I finally installed it yesterday, after being unprotected on broadband for six months.

Since I installed it, it has blocked 24 access attempts, 12 of those high rated

I should have gotten this sooner!

The Curman
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 06:19:24 PM
Its lying to make you feel better..
Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 03-28-2003 06:22:29 PM
quote:
The Curman probably says this to all the girls:
Its lying to make you feel better..

That would be my best guess.

Nina
posted 03-28-2003 06:51:29 PM
Firewalls always exxagerate.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-28-2003 07:42:12 PM
Zonealarm is.... amusing. But that's about all.
* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 08:08:36 PM
Zonealarm doesn't do much more for you than keeping up to date with Windows Update does for you.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 03-28-2003 08:13:29 PM
A shitty firewall > no firewall at all!
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 08:17:14 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Led was all like:
A shitty firewall > no firewall at all!

A firewall does absolutely nothing for you unless you're after a specific objective in setting it up. It's a false sense of security, otherwise. Keep in mind the newest set of Windows trojans run as device drivers, and so Zonealarm does absolutely nothing to protect you from them since it can't firewall off device drivers.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 03-28-2003 08:19:12 PM
Actually I did have a good reason for snagging it. My harddrive would access at random times for long lengths of time, inexplicably. Since I installed this, it has not happened again. And it blocked a good load of access requests.
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 08:23:27 PM
Random hard drive access can easily be explained by Windows doing memory management on your swap file. It's only been a day, you'll start seeing those again.

There's nothing an outside attacker can do that would make your system hit the hard drive in any noticable amount. If there was a such a thing, it could easily be used as a Denial of Service attack, and those are fixed almost as quickly as more severe bugs are.

The Curman
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 08:23:52 PM
Drysart I've been meaning to ask you whos that guy in your signature? (not legolas, the guy with the hat)
Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 08:28:14 PM
quote:
The Curman had this to say about Pirotess:
Drysart I've been meaning to ask you whos that guy in your signature? (not legolas, the guy with the hat)

Alucard. From Hellsing.

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 03-28-2003 09:22:26 PM
quote:
Drysart stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Alucard. From Hellsing.

Arucard, knave!
Breaks Drysart's sub-hating legs.

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-28-2003 09:46:57 PM
Some people say it could also be Arkard (my personal favorite and seems the most likely from what I heard..) originally people said Alucard because that's Dracula backwards.

Not that it matters really /me walks off whisteling..

Nwist, Who?
Nwist
posted 03-28-2003 09:57:02 PM
quote:
Niklas stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Some people say it could also be Arkard (my personal favorite and seems the most likely from what I heard..) originally people said Alucard because that's Dracula backwards.

Not that it matters really /me walks off whisteling..

How'd Arkard come to be?

Alucard is Dracula backwards...
Arucard is because Japanese people have difficultly with l (or something to that effect)
But Arkard?

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-28-2003 10:00:06 PM
Maybe I should get Zonealarm.

At random bits (Usually ten minutes after maximising a window) the screen will flicker in bands, but only for a billionth of a second, so I notice it, but can't make out any problem.

Either it's the REALLY old monitor I have refreshing itself, or it's an EVIL VIRUS COME TO TAKE MY ABILITY TO HAVE CHILDREN!

Either way, I'd like to know what it is.

Never happens in a game, only on desktop/IE.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 03-28-2003 10:06:30 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis wrote this stupid crap:
Maybe I should get Zonealarm.

At random bits (Usually ten minutes after maximising a window) the screen will flicker in bands, but only for a billionth of a second, so I notice it, but can't make out any problem.

Either it's the REALLY old monitor I have refreshing itself, or it's an EVIL VIRUS COME TO TAKE MY ABILITY TO HAVE CHILDREN!

Either way, I'd like to know what it is.

Never happens in a game, only on desktop/IE.

Have that problem myself, actually. For a little bit at random times my screen starts flickering. Happens for longer, and no discernable pattern... but I have an old-ass monitor as well. Hm.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Nina
posted 03-28-2003 10:06:57 PM
Of course. You need Zonealarm, and the FBI's latest security firewall! HACKERS ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR SCREEN MAN
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-28-2003 10:10:44 PM
quote:
Tier was naked while typing this:
Of course. You need Zonealarm, and the FBI's latest security firewall! HACKERS ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR SCREEN MAN

Way back when, when I had norton antivirus installed on this computer, it told me to enter a message if it ever found a virus.

I put in, and I quote: "HOLY FUCKIN SHIT U HAVE A VIRUS RUN AWAY WHILE U STILL CAN!!!!!!"

Ah, memories...

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 10:23:37 PM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about Captain Planet:

It is Alucard. The Alucard. Dracula. Evidenced by the fact that he impales Incognito in the manner of, and also appears as, Vlad the Impaler. The whole mythology of Hellsing is based on Western fiction over the past 200 years, primarily Lovecraft, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Sir Integra, in fact, is the great granddaughter of Abraham Van Helsing, a character from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

"Arkard" does not fit into this anywhere.

MorbId
Pancake
posted 03-28-2003 10:30:01 PM
If the impaling didn't make it obvious enough, there's that flash of lightning afterwards. Which happpens to show the right side of Alucard's face with a grey mustache.

And that makes his face match up exactly with a famous painting of Vlad Tepes.

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 03-28-2003 10:33:01 PM

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: