EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I can't say I was too suprised
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-14-2003 09:22:20 PM
quote:
I know that many of you have been waiting patiently for the results of our meetings last week. Well, here is our official statement, which will also be posted at LucasArts.com and elsewhere. There are a few more comments at the very end...
Begin "official" message...

"Star Wars Galaxies is now entering the final phase of development, and everyone at LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment is pleased with the game's progress since the beta test program was initiated. We've received a good deal of constructive feedback and many positive suggestions that, if executed, will genuinely enhance gameplay for the hundreds of thousands of players who comprise the community.
To deliver the best possible massively multiplayer experience and ensure stability and breadth of content, LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment will delay the game's April 15 launch. This will enable us to invest more time into the beta program, and to solicit additional feedback from the tremendous fan base Star Wars Galaxies has already developed.

"In addition, we will not open phase three of the beta program until we feel the game is ready for a wider audience, which we anticipate will be within the next few weeks. A new release date for Star Wars Galaxies will be announced shortly after the beginning of beta three.

"We are sincerely grateful to the Star Wars Galaxies community for their tremendous support. We respectfully ask for their continued understanding and patience during these final few months leading up to the launch of what we believe will be one of the best MMOs to date."

End official statement...

That last paragraph is especially important. We *are* extremely grateful for all your support and the tremendous goodwill we've enjoyed over the past many months. I know that this news is going to be disappointing for some of you, and I can only hope that you'll continue to be patient and supportive of our efforts. For our part, we will continue to work very hard to keep the fantastic relationship we've built with the community intact. We will strive to keep you informed and update you more quickly when changes like this occur.

Thank you again, for everything you do to make this what I believe is the best MMO community to date.

Haden Blackman
LucasArts Producer

Maradon!
posted 03-14-2003 09:26:29 PM
What they said:

quote:
"We are sincerely grateful to the Star Wars Galaxies community for their tremendous support."

What they meant:

quote:
"We are sincerely grateful to the Star Wars Galaxies community for their tremendous support, but we're still delaying the game, so sod off."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-14-2003 09:29:52 PM
AO was rushed out, and it absolutely SUCKED on release. Stuff was incomplete, missions were horrible, and .. well, it wasn't good.

After a few years, It's gotten a lot better, thanks to bug fixes, feedback, and lots of other stuff.

The SW:G staff is using this to their advantage. I applaud this change.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 09:30:35 PM
A delayed game means a more polished product.

Still, I want to play it NOW.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-14-2003 09:31:11 PM
Well.. at least it gives me more time to finish my MCSE.
Maradon!
posted 03-14-2003 09:34:03 PM
quote:
From the book of Delphi Aegis, chapter 3, verse 16:
AO was rushed out, and it absolutely SUCKED on release. Stuff was incomplete, missions were horrible, and .. well, it wasn't good.

They said all that about MoO3, and it still sucked.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-14-2003 09:39:17 PM
quote:
Maradon XP was naked while typing this:
They said all that about MoO3, and it still sucked.

I was trying to refer you towards Blizzard games..

Maradon!
posted 03-14-2003 09:44:25 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about pies:

I was pointing out that a delayed game does not mean a better game

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 09:51:06 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis painfully thought these words up:

Blizzard just releases a good game and then makes it worse after release through patches.

Yeah, it's a bit unusual for the industry, but it's The Blizzard Way!

Steven Steve
posted 03-14-2003 09:51:25 PM
The Force betrayed me to the grave

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: Fazum'Zen Fastfist ]

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-14-2003 09:57:49 PM
quote:
Drysart enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Blizzard just releases a good game and then makes it worse after release through patches.

that's why I never patch Blizzard games until I absolutely positively have to.

I find I'm happier that way.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 03-14-2003 10:02:16 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael thought about the meaning of life:
that's why I never patch Blizzard games until I absolutely positively have to.

I find I'm happier that way.

Ditto.

I'm still upset that those damned bastards nerfed my "fill the room with Hydras" tactic in D2. The amount they upped the damage was nowhere near what was needed to match the steady stream of fire I used to get out of 12 of those things cast on one spot.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-14-2003 11:34:17 PM
Hopefully by the time they do release it, they'll add back in the player-run cities, player-owned vechiles, etc that they were taking out(until 6 to 8 months later) to make the April deadline.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-15-2003 12:48:46 AM
quote:
This one time, at Drysart camp:

They only improved Starcraft and Diablo II...

Warcraft III doesn't count, because it sucked.

Edit: yes, I am implying that D2 was better than WC3... but that is obviously just my opinion.

[ 03-15-2003: Message edited by: Kegwen ]

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2003 11:34:47 AM
quote:
Katrinity wrote:
Hopefully by the time they do release it, they'll add back in the player-run cities, player-owned vechiles, etc that they were taking out(until 6 to 8 months later) to make the April deadline.

Sorry, but no.

They said none of that was going to go in until after launch. They're using the extra time to polish what they have, and extend Beta Phase 2.

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 03-15-2003 11:40:43 AM
Bastids!!
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-15-2003 01:40:41 PM
Sucks to have a delay, but I'm glad we'll have a less buggy product.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2003 03:05:00 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Katrinity stammered:
Bastids!!

Don't be too disappointed.

You can still "sell back" your skill points, and change professions. You aren't forced to delete your character and start another if you want to be something different, although you DO have to start over again.

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm starting as a Marksman, but going into politics as soon as they introduce player cities.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 03-15-2003 03:14:38 PM
Is smuggling gonna be in from the Get-go?
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Talonus
Loner
posted 03-15-2003 03:16:24 PM
quote:
Taeldian said this about your mom:
A delayed game means a more polished product.

*cough*Shadowbane*cough*

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2003 03:49:09 PM
quote:
OtakuPenguin wrote:
Is smuggling gonna be in from the Get-go?

Aye, but you can't own your own transport ship until the Space Expansion. You'll have to smuggle through different cities and use public transports for planet-to-planet smuggling.

Some of the starting smuggling jobs are simple deliveries, don't expect to be a "Han Solo" after a few hours, although they've said starting the profession now will REALLY pay off once you get your own transport ship. Running Imperial blockades, etc.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 03-15-2003 03:59:38 PM
Exactly.

Bothan Smuggler - Esear Kuin

baybeeee!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2003 04:02:59 PM
You'll get all the hard-core RP'ers making fun of your name.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 03-15-2003 04:57:08 PM
omg noooooooo

I am gonna be a twi'lek smuggler!

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-15-2003 05:24:17 PM
You know, I have never read a Blizzard patch message and went "Well fuck, this sucks!"

Ever

Iulius Kaesar
Pancake
posted 03-15-2003 05:41:44 PM
Hofstadter's Law:
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account.

Programmers have been pulling shit like this as long as there have been programmers. No one knows why.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-15-2003 05:46:04 PM
quote:
So quoth Iulius Kæsar:
Hofstadter's Law:
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account.

Programmers have been pulling shit like this as long as there have been programmers. No one knows why.

Becuase their PR people say "We can have it out by this date!" and don't listen to what their programmers have to say?

I know I see that a lot here. Our poor AS400 programmers are constantly here on the weekends, trying to get something ready that one of the account managers has promised will be set by Monday.

One of them had to write an entire order entry program when we sold race tickets in like a weekend. The guy was here till nearly dawn each night.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-15-2003 06:09:55 PM
I think it'll only be a delay of.. say.. a month, two months at most.

I can live with that. At long as it's released before Q3 2003 I'll be happy.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: