EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A noble cause
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 03-14-2003 05:32:15 AM
BURP - Boycott Use of Real Player.

I do believe the subject says it all.

Kekvit Irae
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 05:52:09 AM
A noble cause indeed. Out of Real Player, Windows Media, and Quicktime videos, I've noticed that Real Player has the shittiest quality, Windows has medium quality, and Quicktime as the best quality video.
Playing something in Real Player is like peeing in the kitchen sink. You can do it, but it's just so wrong
Azureusu
Don't whip your dick out til she asks.. or til she's sleepin..
posted 03-14-2003 10:28:38 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Kekvit Irae stammered:

Playing something in Real Player is like peeing in the kitchen sink. You can do it, but it's just so wrong

Depends who's house yer in.

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 03-14-2003 10:34:40 AM
I've compared the four or so media players I have, by playing the first few minutes of an episode of Witch Hunter Robin. Quicktime, or the version I have at least has good sound quality, but the graphics are often laggy, and size alteration is crappy. WMP is good as far as graphics goes, but sound is a little muffled compared to others, and resize ability is ok, but not all that good. Winamp3 sucks ass period, but can play some types of files that others can't, so its useful in some circumstances. RealOne Player is the most versatile in that it can play a variety of different media types, can resize to a great variety of sizes, has good sound quality, and reasonably good graphics, though occasionally you get the jaggies at certain sizes.

I personally don't see why people are so against Realplayer. *shrugs*

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-14-2003 10:37:04 AM
(1) Spyware.

(2) 3 tons of shit that I have to try to force disable to keep it communicating things like playlists and such back to real.com

(3) .RM streams are HORRID. Using RO to play a MPG stream is not a fair test. The stream is better quality than what RO/RP was originally designed to play.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 03-14-2003 10:42:28 AM
Spyware? First time I've heard of it. Is there any way I can detect this? I use AdAware as a spyware quarantine service, and its never picked up anything specifically related to Realplayer. Sure, the ads you get frequently after closing it out as a music player are annoying, but that's the only trace of adware that I can see.
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-14-2003 10:46:26 AM
It isn't the generic "oh I can compile this shit in type spyware you see everywhere else, which AdAware will get rid of. This is their internal shit, which goes to point 2 about disabling all the stat collecting and reporting and other shit.

I'm not too thrilled with Media Player doing this shit either, but I haven't found a really viable alternative player so I'm kinda boned for now.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 03-14-2003 10:50:56 AM
Mrph, both WMP and Real? Ach, do they actively use the stat collecting and reporting to do anything serious, beyond assaulting you with demands to upgrade? If so, what stuff do you use to disable it?

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: Azrael Heavenblade ]

Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-14-2003 10:54:38 AM
WMP sends crap in that you probally don't want it sending in... file names, statistics on when you watch things, how many times you've watched a file, etc, etc.

And to really disable it, I don't think that you can. In real there's enough options you can disable (some are reg hacks from what I've seen) that it's not reporting anything signifigant, but WMP I don't know enough to disable it. This is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to WMP 9.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-14-2003 11:01:08 AM
quote:
From the book of Random Insanity Generator, chapter 3, verse 16:
WMP sends crap in that you probally don't want it sending in... file names, statistics on when you watch things, how many times you've watched a file, etc, etc.

And to really disable it, I don't think that you can. In real there's enough options you can disable (some are reg hacks from what I've seen) that it's not reporting anything signifigant, but WMP I don't know enough to disable it. This is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to WMP 9.

The newest version has a checkbox to disable it. I assume that it really works

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 03-14-2003 11:46:13 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Azizza was all like:
The newest version has a checkbox to disable it. I assume that it really works

And I assume you to be someone that believes what he's told instead of actually looking.

Hell, it's been shown that Windows sends back more information during the Windows Update process than it's supposed to. They're supposed to send back info on programs they can update, but actually are sending back a listing of all programs installed and the versions.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-14-2003 11:48:28 AM
quote:
Random Insanity Generator's fortune cookie read:
And I assume you to be someone that believes what he's told instead of actually looking.

No but I haven't looked into it yet so I could only give my assumption on the subject I was making that clear.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 03-14-2003 11:57:59 AM
To be honest I don't mind stuff like that, so long as it isn't noticable.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 09:51:12 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Azrael Heavenblade stammered:
I've compared the four or so media players I have, by playing the first few minutes of an episode of Witch Hunter Robin. Quicktime, or the version I have at least has good sound quality, but the graphics are often laggy, and size alteration is crappy. WMP is good as far as graphics goes, but sound is a little muffled compared to others, and resize ability is ok, but not all that good. Winamp3 sucks ass period, but can play some types of files that others can't, so its useful in some circumstances. RealOne Player is the most versatile in that it can play a variety of different media types, can resize to a great variety of sizes, has good sound quality, and reasonably good graphics, though occasionally you get the jaggies at certain sizes.

I personally don't see why people are so against Realplayer. *shrugs*

It takes over your computer, maybe?

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 09:51:12 PM
Hmm, I don't remember clicking twice..

[ 03-14-2003: Message edited by: Taeldian ]

Drysart
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 09:58:28 PM
quote:
Verily, Random Insanity Generator doth proclaim:
Hell, it's been shown that Windows sends back more information during the Windows Update process than it's supposed to. They're supposed to send back info on programs they can update, but actually are sending back a listing of all programs installed and the versions.

*sighs* Don't believe everything you read on Slashdot. Microsoft doesn't send any more than they say they do.

Maradon!
posted 03-14-2003 10:06:46 PM
I hate realplayer simply because they're selling and stuffing ads into what everyone else is giving away for free and act like that's normal.

If I started a business that sold AOL CD's for two bucks you'd think I was an ass too.

Iulius Kaesar
Pancake
posted 03-14-2003 10:28:52 PM
Here is my litany against RealPlayer. Spyware or not the thing is just too, well, aggressive:

1. If you go to download the thing (the "free" download, mind you) they ask you for credit card information. This is so they can sign you up for a 15-day free trial of the premium content, which you will forget about in 15 days. Nevertheless, there is a way to download an old version.

2. It tries to take over your file associations but we're all used to that.

3. Once you install the thing, it sets itself up to launch on startup--not from the "Startup" menu but from a startup menu in the registry. Good thing I know about msconfig.

4. This one is the kicker though: if you ever use it again, the thing goes back to starting up from the registry. There is a way in the menus to tell it not to load on startup but for me it starts right back up, like some petulant child tagging me "it".

So yeah, for that we get banner ads and grainy video. It's the american way.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 03-15-2003 12:44:53 AM
Sane people use realplayer?

Realplayer always has and always will blow the ass of undead goats. I haven't installed it for about 4 years, and I'm not about to do it again.

Mog
not really a mmembe rof tis boered
posted 03-15-2003 10:17:57 AM
Real player eneds to die, as do poeple ho think anime eps are ebst distributed in 13 mb .rm files that look more more like a manga then cartoon while watching

Regret calamities if you can thereby help the sufferer; if not, attend to your own work and allready the evil begins to be repaired
- Self Rreliance
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: