EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Time for a MIND BENDAR@$%
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-05-2003 01:43:41 PM
Before you stand three doors. Behind exactly one of these doors is a fabulous prize (new car, dream vacation, etc.). Behind the other two: nothing.

You select a door. Then, you open one of the doors you did not select. Behind that door is nothing. You now have the option of changing your choice of door. The question I pose to you is this: Why should you change your choice of door?

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Karnaj ]

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-05-2003 01:47:06 PM
A situation like this will never, ever, ever happen to me. I prefer to answer more tangible questions about situations that I might actually come across.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-05-2003 01:54:44 PM
quote:
Reynar impressed everyone with:
A situation like this will never, ever, ever happen to me. I prefer to answer more tangible questions about situations that I might actually come across.

It's alright to say "I don't know."

And what about on a game show? Wasn't there a game show way back when with this exact setup?

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Gork
Pancake
posted 03-05-2003 02:01:02 PM
Can i change my choice of door to the one i already opened and open the other two? or one and change to another door I already opened?

I cant fathom any other logic to switching choices.

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-05-2003 02:02:42 PM
You can change your choice to the other, unopened door, or stick with your original choice. Which, in light of being shown that one door contains nothing, should you do?

EDIT: clarification

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Karnaj ]

Beer.

Taeldian
Pancake
posted 03-05-2003 02:05:01 PM
I knew another thing like this that involved hats, but I can't remember the answer, though I'm sure it's the exact same thing.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 03-05-2003 02:11:47 PM
quote:
Karnaj was listening to Cher while typing:
It's alright to say "I don't know."

Yea, but it's more fun to use your own words against you like that =)

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 03-05-2003 02:30:41 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about dark elf butts:
Before you stand three doors. Behind exactly one of these doors is a fabulous prize (new car, dream vacation, etc.). Behind the other two: nothing.

You select a door. Then, you open one of the doors you did not select. Behind that door is nothing. You now have the option of changing your choice of door. The question I pose to you is this: Why should you change your choice of door?

One second. Lemme pull up the lets make a deal paradox site.

Clicky
Here ya go, dude. there's numbers and fractions there. =) and a neat little java applet so you can test it yourself.

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: Auryfolf ]

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-05-2003 02:37:33 PM
I knew the answer, and yes, that website is correct.

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 03-05-2003 02:38:34 PM
I know the correct answer is to change your selection but I'm still not sure I believe the reasoning for it.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 03-05-2003 02:39:41 PM
quote:
Maradon XP obviously shouldn't have said:
I know the correct answer is to change your selection but I'm still not sure I believe the reasoning for it.

I busted out laughing when I first heard KOS-MOS say that, Maradon.

Iulius Kaesar
Pancake
posted 03-05-2003 04:29:25 PM
The crucial piece of information here is that in the real game it's up to the host to open one of (or possibly the only) door that has nothing behind it. That changes the rules, and since you're acting with more information, the second door has a higher probability of having the prize.

In the example, you apparently always pick a door without the prize on the second try, which isn't possible unless the can be moved, which provides the same kind of interference as the game show host choosing for you. Of course if the prize is always moved to your first choice, then the probability shifts to the first choice.

In all cases the probability is made uneven by giving you better information.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 03-05-2003 04:32:25 PM
It was called Let's Make a Deal.

Damn that makes me feel old...

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 03-05-2003 05:54:51 PM
Ironically, the REMAKE of let's make a deal premiered LAST NIGHT.

This must be one heck of a coincidence, or Karnaj watched it too.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-05-2003 05:57:50 PM
One heck of a thing.

I didn't even know the name of the game show until a few hours ago, only that it had at one point existed.

Beer.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 03-05-2003 06:01:39 PM
A REMAKE of Let's Make a Deal?

What the hell?!

Monty Hall > All

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Steven Steve
posted 03-05-2003 06:12:38 PM
I wouldn't open the doors, I'd kick them down.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 03-05-2003 11:59:24 PM
I haven't looked, so somebody probably already answered.

Yes, you should change your choice.

When you chose the first door, you had a 33% chance of being correct. After the empty door is open, you still have only a 33% chance of being correct in your choice.

If you change, however, you have a 50% chance of being correct, as there are only two doors left. Thus, by changing, your increase your odds of winning by 17%.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 03-06-2003 11:35:50 AM
quote:
From the book of T. E. Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:

When you chose the first door, you had a 33% chance of being correct. After the empty door is open, you still have only a 33% chance of being correct in your choice.

If you change, however, you have a 50% chance of being correct, as there are only two doors left. Thus, by changing, your increase your odds of winning by 17%.

Yes.
But your odds of winning do not increase by the time you switch the doors, but at the time the second empty door is opened.

Either that, or I don't get it.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 03-06-2003 12:27:26 PM
Conditional probability can be a bitch, because it's often counter-intuitive.

Beer.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 03-06-2003 12:27:52 PM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and OtakuPenguin was all like:
A REMAKE of Let's Make a Deal?

What the hell?!

Monty Hall > All

yeah, and some dumb comedian is hosting it.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 03-06-2003 12:51:35 PM
quote:
T. E. Bloodsage attempted to be funny by writing:

The only problem with this logic is that, when you receive the new information about the empty curtain you didn't pick, your odds of being correct with your current choice would be expected to increase to 50%.

The reason to switch is based on the idea that the gameshow host must reveal, from among the two curtains you didn't pick, a curtain which has nothing behind it. By making this conscious choice, the gameshow host preserves the existing likelihood of 67% that one of the two curtains you didn't pick has the prize behind it. He intentionally withholds the new information you expect to receive when he opens the curtain.

Because you technically haven't learned anything new about whether your choice is correct, its odds of being correct do not change, therefore remaining at 33%. The remaining curtain you didn't select acquires the combined probability of success previously credited to the combination of the two curtains (66%). This is why changing your choice improves your odds.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: