EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: S-A ritn n txt msg shrthnd baflz Brit tchr
Ryuujin
posted 03-03-2003 12:06:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/03/03/offbeat.text.essay.reut/index.html

I mean wtfy omg brit sux.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: G.L. Ryuujin ]

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 03-03-2003 12:14:08 PM
Ya, our education system is in the pits.. In fact, I'm starting to think all of Britain is sliding into a pit..
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-03-2003 12:19:51 PM
Please God, tell me that this was an attempt by the stuent to show the stupidity of this type of writing. Please....

Oh screw it.
*jumps off of a high building*

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 03-03-2003 12:20:24 PM
quote:
Azizza stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Please God, tell me that this was an attempt by the stuent to show the stupidity of this type of writing. Please....

Oh screw it.

d00d wtf lol

MorbId
Pancake
posted 03-03-2003 12:37:48 PM
Iff I was the teacher for that class, the paper would have received a negative score. The student would also be required to read it aloud, exactly as it's written.

I'm not familiar with England's schools, but panicking because of one stupid individual seems premature.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 03-03-2003 12:48:56 PM
Peter
Pancake
posted 03-03-2003 12:59:29 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Niklas said this:
Ya, our education system is in the pits.. In fact, I'm starting to think all of Britain is sliding into a pit..

Well I have Heard the UK and most of Europe Represent a declineing Civilition/Socity. However this was Said by the My Social Problems Prof. That slos siad the US was on drugs was really a plot to target the blacks, and that the US Govt. Let the 9-11 Attacks happen....

Iulius Kaesar
Pancake
posted 03-03-2003 01:03:52 PM
So I suppose it's impossible that the girl can write just fine, but chose to do the assignment in leet out of annoyance? I mean come on, it's another "what did I do last summer" paper. I hated stuff like that when I was her age, especially if I didn't have anything good to talk about--and it seems as though she didn't either ("my summer holidays were a complete waste of time...").

That said, it's an English class, so she still deserves to get nailed on the assignment. However, I think it's wrong to assume (and go bellyaching to the media) that text messaging gives young people a skewed impression of their language. At least go ask her if she did it on purpose. Perhaps if the teacher had assigned an interesting essay topic she would have gotten a decent paper back.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: Iulius Kæsar ]

Ryuujin
posted 03-03-2003 01:30:36 PM
quote:
Azizza's fortune cookie read:

Oh screw it.

omg yay! roflol

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-03-2003 01:41:21 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when G.L. Ryuujin said:
omg yay! roflol

*cuts off Ryuujin's tail*

Peter
Pancake
posted 03-03-2003 02:15:59 PM
quote:
Azizza wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
*cuts off Ryuujin's tail*

Joo Fewl!!
Don't You Know Ryuujins are like starfish, Now a Second one Will grow from the Cut off Tail...If you keep this up we will b upto of Eyeholes in Leezards !!

Ryuujin
posted 03-03-2003 02:56:15 PM
quote:
How.... Peter.... uughhhhhh:
Joo Fewl!!
Don't You Know Ryuujins are like starfish, Now a Second one Will grow from the Cut off Tail...If you keep this up we will b upto of Eyeholes in Leezards !!

My evil plan is taking shape!

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 03-03-2003 02:59:30 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Tron:

Oh screw it.

It's not stupid when used in the right situation. SMS text messages only give you so many characters per message, any more and the message is sent in two parts, therefore costing twice as much, hence the "txt msg" format. Do you really want to be typing out an essay on your keypad?

Used in a bloody English essay is a stupid idea, there's no doubt about that but to be honest if it was a regular occurance then a secondary school teacher should have spotted this when the kid joined the damn school two years prior. If it was just the one essay then who the hell cares? Nothing you do at 13 will shape your career in school here. It's all merely training for the important stuff, the GCSE courses. You're allowed to make mistakes.

Then again my experience of the British schooling system makes me glad I have no desire to contribute to the gene pool. Ever.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: The leckie ]

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 03-03-2003 03:10:21 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when The leckie said:
It's not stupid when used in the right situation. SMS text messages only give you so many characters per message, any more and the message is sent in two parts, therefore costing twice as much, hence the "txt msg" format. Do you really want to be typing out an essay on your keypad?

Used in a bloody English essay is a stupid idea, there's no doubt about that but to be honest if it was a regular occurance then a secondary school teacher should have spotted this when the kid joined the damn school two years prior. If it was just the one essay then who the hell cares? Nothing you do at 13 will shape your career in school here. It's all merely training for the important stuff, the GCSE courses. You're allowed to make mistakes.

Then again my experience of the British schooling system makes me glad I have no desire to contribute to the gene pool. Ever.

Oh I agree. I use some of them as well. LOL and the such. However the thought of someone using it in school.. *shivers*

I thought the schools over there were good overall?

Maradon!
posted 03-03-2003 03:18:22 PM
Why would he do such a thing when the british have such cool slang to use instead?

I'm a huge fan of british slang. I used to watch BBC America for hours on end. Words like snog and "bloody hell". Shows like Red Dwarf and that show about the promiscuous french cafe owner.

leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 03-03-2003 03:40:22 PM
quote:
Maradon XP was naked while typing this:
Why would he do such a thing when the british have such cool slang to use instead?

I'm a huge fan of british slang. I used to watch BBC America for hours on end. Words like snog and "bloody hell". Shows like Red Dwarf and that show about the promiscuous french cafe owner.

"Ello Ello"?

Maradon!
posted 03-03-2003 04:01:49 PM
quote:
The leckie obviously shouldn't have said:
"Ello Ello"?

Yes! and the one about the people who worked in an apartment store! And Space Precinct!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 03-03-2003 04:08:19 PM
[QUOTE]Maradon XP probably says this:
[QB]the one about the people who worked in an apartment store!

Are You Being Served?

Maradon!
posted 03-03-2003 05:06:52 PM
quote:
Baron Von Mortay stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Are You Being Served?

Yeah that's the one!

You've all got me craving british television now.

*turns on BBC America*

Ryuujin
posted 03-03-2003 05:59:33 PM
What's that one with that uppity old woman named Hyacinth?
Steven Steve
posted 03-03-2003 06:02:02 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about pies:
I saw this coming like 5 years ago
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Pavarin
Pancake
posted 03-03-2003 06:11:04 PM
quote:
G.L. Ryuujin had this to say about Duck Tales:
What's that one with that uppity old woman named Hyacinth?

Keeping Up Appearances.

My motto for life?

Look, but don't touch...
[small}Touch, but don't get caught :D[/small]

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 03-03-2003 06:16:51 PM
quote:
Iulius Kæsar had this to say about Punky Brewster:
So I suppose it's impossible that the girl can write just fine, but chose to do the assignment in leet out of annoyance? I mean come on, it's another "what did I do last summer" paper. I hated stuff like that when I was her age, especially if I didn't have anything good to talk about--and it seems as though she didn't either ("my summer holidays were a complete waste of time...").

That said, it's an English class, so she still deserves to get nailed on the assignment. However, I think it's wrong to assume (and go bellyaching to the media) that text messaging gives young people a skewed impression of their language. At least go ask her if she did it on purpose. Perhaps if the teacher had assigned an interesting essay topic she would have gotten a decent paper back.

While I am the last person to consult on conformity, I find if she did this on purpose than she is even more to be ridiculed. I had to do those papers, too. I found them stupid. But the easiest thing is just to do it, get the easy grade, and keep your GPA up.

Added to the fact that the teacher is an authority figure, and out of deference to the position, it's just better to respect them and do the assignment right. I never understood people that had to give teachers a hard time by doing stupid things like messing up on reports and being smart about it just because they thought the assignment was stupid. It requires far less energy and fuss to just get a high grade.

If she did it because she really talks like that...oi. But I imagine that unless she's been living in the middle of nowhere and text messaging was her only form of communication, at least some of what she did, if not all, was intentional.

I can't believe you guys didn't mention Fawlty Towers!

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: Lyinar Ka`Bael ]

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

MorbId
Pancake
posted 03-03-2003 09:32:55 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael obviously shouldn't have said:
I can't believe you guys didn't mention Fawlty Towers!

Fawlty Towers is classic. Much better than the American 'tribute' that was made a few years back.

"..."
".. would you care for a rat?"

Heh heh heh.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-03-2003 09:33:16 PM
1. Red Dwarf > All. Just for people calling other people "Smeg-heads"

2. The important thing isn't to get rid of shorthand writing altogether. No it isn't. For one thing, the whole birth of "LOL" and "ROFLMAO" and such came from people who couldn't type very well at first wanting to save themselves the time of typing out the long version of what they meant. Back on the old Digital Equipment Company BBS/Messageboards, populated by code monkeys and engineers, way back in the 80's, you never saw the shorthand. They could type fast enough to say exactly what they wanted to say.

So the shorthand was a sign of more and more people getting online. In the process, it became ingrained into the culture. Now your "LOL" on the computer has different connotations. Lower-case "lol" can mean it was amusing but not hilarious, whereas LOL can mean it cracked you up. So the shorthand is evolving.

The important thing is to make sure students know where shorthand belongs. Cutting the time it takes you to write a formal essay by writing it in online shorthand is a no-no. Fitting notes for a speech on index cards using online shorthand is okay. Keep in mind that for years, it's been encouraged (and most students will tell you) that when they take notes in class they don't always write in complete sentences, they tend to break things down into an outline format, and they use abbreviations.

So it all has a place. This was a case of a student trying to find a fun way to do their work. It doesn't cause any harm. I'd send them home and make them write out the paper longhand or take a Zero, though, but I wouldn't penalize them. Sometimes you have to be reminded of the limits people are willing to put up with.

To be blunt, English and Literature teachers have better things to worry about than short hand. The clip of this kid's paper was grammatically correct, if a bit stiff. Do you realize that there are people who get into college junior-level literature classes who can't find the subject of a sentence? They write in fragments! They have no idea how to properly format or cite things, they have piss-poor grammar, and they balk at having to write a five-page, double-spaced paper including Works Cited (that's like maybe a page and a half of text, plus the WC page).

This, in comparison, is a "quitcherbitchin" matter.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 03-03-2003 09:39:35 PM
I find it slightly funny that you replied to a topic on internet shorthand with a near-Essay post.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 03-03-2003 09:41:49 PM
That's just who I am
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Gikk
SCA babe!!!
posted 03-04-2003 02:31:56 AM
So Graham Norton.

*loves bristish TV.*

Dr. Who, anyone?

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: