EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Managing linked images...
Nina
posted 02-10-2003 09:58:37 PM
So I was wondering the other day if my image linking was draining much bandwidth from my host... Unfortunately, the currently installed stats analyzer can't restrict itself to one directory to calculate. So I was wondering how I could go about making a script to measure from the beginning to the end of a month how much bandwidth I ate from that particular linking folder?

What I had in mind was using apache's access.log, parsing for everything in the image folder and adding up the size transferred... Or would there be a better way to go around that?

Maradon!
posted 02-10-2003 10:21:29 PM
delete, rename, move, or otherwise render that folder inaccessable and gauge the difference?
Nina
posted 02-10-2003 10:33:05 PM
That would beat the purpose of, y'know, linking images

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: Tier ]

Maradon!
posted 02-10-2003 10:34:42 PM
quote:
Tier had this to say about John Romero:
That would beat the purpose of, y'know, linking images

Oh, sure, always have to do it the HARD way.

Iulius Kaesar
Pancake
posted 02-11-2003 12:43:32 AM
Does your host allow you to use dynamic pages? If so, you could create a servlet that served the image and incremented a counter for it at the same time. You'd have to change your image urls however.

In addition you could limit each image (or folder etc) to a certain number of views a week, to make sure no particular folder hogs all bandwidth.

Otherwise go googling for an apache.log parser - I bet the access counts alone would tell you what you need to know.

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Iulius Kæsar ]

Iulius Kaesar
Pancake
posted 02-11-2003 12:44:05 AM
(Woohoo my first double post)
BAH

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Iulius Kæsar ]

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: