EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I'm gonna buy a NES...
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 01:10:31 AM
...and I'm tryign to put together a list of games I want to grab.
Just so you're sure, yes, a Nintendo Entertainment System. NOT a Gamecube.

Here so far am I...

I must have:
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Final Fantasy 1
Legend of Zelda
Contra
Breath of Fire
Mega Man 2
Ninja Gaiden
Shinobi
N.A.R.C.
TMNT

I would like to find:
Dragon Warrior
Bubble Bobble
Wizards and Warriors
Phantasy Star
Metal Gear
Faxanadu
Castlevania
Actraiser
Double Dragon
Astyanax
Mario Brothers 2

There are a few other sequels that I've listed one of the games(e.g. Mega Man) that I might grab, but I'm looking for the BIG games. I know I've forgotten something.

Also, as I don't expect to actually be able to FIND all of these games, anyone know an online source of orderable NES games?

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-29-2002 01:11:31 AM
I luv emulation. It's so much cheaper than the real thing
Oh shi...
what
posted 12-29-2002 01:15:43 AM
Good fucking luck there buddy.

Getting ahold of NES is mildly easy. Getting hold of the most popular games is impossible. The only reason Vorago has those is because he never sold his

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 01:16:35 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Khyron wrote:
I luv emulation. It's so much cheaper than the real thing

I don't mind spending the money, I could just download them if I wanted to. Anyone could.

I want the actual system. I want the 4 button controller in my hand. I want to have to play with the NES in order to get the game to work. I want to play it on a 35" TV while anyone who sees me says "WTF! Is that Nintendo?!" I want all 8 bits of crazy excitement in the palm of my hand, not just on the tips of my fingers.(no crude comments plzkthx)

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 01:19:37 AM
quote:
¤Delidgamond¤ had this to say about Tron:
Good fucking luck there buddy.

Getting ahold of NES is mildly easy. Getting hold of the most popular games is impossible. The only reason Vorago has those is because he never sold his

I know where I can get a system. I know a guy who had to shut his store down several years ago because the government was going to sue him for selling a few of those 90-in-1 games. He has hundreds at least, possibly in the thousands, just sitting in bins in the back of a store. I doubt he'll have too many of them, but I would expect that he'd have a few.

Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 12-29-2002 01:30:39 AM
Baby Boomer
Duck Hunt
Ducktales
Double Dribble
Guerilla War
THUNDERCADE!!!
RBI Baseball
XENOPHOBE!!!
LEGENDARY WINGS!!!

(just a few suggestions)

Malbi
posted 12-29-2002 01:31:34 AM
still have mine and about 40 games too
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 01:33:02 AM
Oh, yes.

Ice Hockey.
and Base Wars!

3 skinny guys and a fat guy own.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Inferno-Spirit ]

Cetona
Pancake
posted 12-29-2002 01:47:51 AM
Excitebike.
Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 12-29-2002 01:47:57 AM
quote:
Verily, Inferno-Spirit doth proclaim:
Oh, yes.

Ice Hockey.
and Base Wars!

3 skinny guys and a fat guy own.

ICE HOCKEY!!! OMG! MUST.... FIND.... ON.... EBAY!

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-29-2002 02:20:58 AM
I have bubble bobble and could send it to you, I have never has an NES and it just kind of appeared in my hallway last year. If i find it its yours
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 02:24:41 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Elvish Crack Piper wrote:
I have bubble bobble and could send it to you, I have never has an NES and it just kind of appeared in my hallway last year. If i find it its yours

That's one of the games I expect to be able to find, but if I can't, I'd be glad to buy it from you.

Oh shi...
what
posted 12-29-2002 02:25:57 AM
He can send you Canadian funny money too eh!
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 02:30:05 AM
quote:
From the book of ¤Delidgamond¤, chapter 3, verse 16:
He can send you Canadian funny money too eh!

What the hell? You be saying there be more than one kind of money? What's that aboot?

Freedan
Pancake
posted 12-29-2002 02:47:55 AM
River City Ransom
Dave
)_(
posted 12-29-2002 04:52:55 AM
I have a never used orginal NES controller with the cord still twist-tied in a plastic bag if your interested.

Never had much use for it, after I got my nes advatange I got my 1st 2 player game so I just used the 1st controller and the advatage, still have that as well.

I "MIGHT" have TMNT laying around too, I can look if ya want.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-29-2002 05:31:37 AM
Gamestop is great for used games. Got a Funcoland nearby?

When I bought my NES, I found both Zeldas, all three Castlevania's, Bards Tale, Milon's Secret Castle, Super Mario Brothers 1-3, and Final Fantasy 1 at my local Funcoland. They have a great NES section.

I've seen Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon, Dragon Warrior, Actraiser, and quite a few other popular games there, too. Need to pick more of those up myself.

I've seen Astyanax on the Gamestop.com website before, too.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-29-2002 05:32:49 AM
Also, half.com is a wonderful resource for used games as well.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 12-29-2002 08:29:32 AM
(agrees)
funcoland
half.com

and....

e-bay!

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 12-29-2002 08:36:13 AM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
That's one of the games I expect to be able to find, but if I can't, I'd be glad to buy it from you.

A friend of mine has a bunch of nintendo games too, ill be able to go to his house mid january and ill write a list up for ya. Would just ask now, but his mom is paranoid

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 12-29-2002 09:00:59 AM
METROID!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-29-2002 12:47:14 PM
E-bay is good, just be careful.

Besides, half.com is now owned by E-bay, so I imagine a lot of the things they offer there will be the same or similar to things up for auction on e-bay.

Skaw
posted 12-29-2002 12:51:20 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Inferno-Spirit said this:

Bionic Commando - Don't have it.
Blaster Master - Friend has it
Final Fantasy 1 - Have it
Legend of Zelda - Have it
Contra - Don't have it
Breath of Fire - Have it
Mega Man 2 - Have it
Ninja Gaiden - Don't know where it is
Shinobi - Don't have it
N.A.R.C. - Ew
TMNT - Have it

Dragon Warrior - Have it
Bubble Bobble - HAVE IT ERARHAHGH NO ONE TOUCHES
Wizards and Warriors - Don't have it
Phantasy Star - Don't have it
Metal Gear - Don't have the first one, have Snake's Revenge though
Faxanadu - Never even heard of it
Castlevania - Don't know where it is
Actraiser - Don't have it
Double Dragon - Don't know where it is
Astyanax - Don't have it
Mario Brothers 2 - Have it

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-29-2002 12:53:57 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Skaw stammered:

Breath of Fire - Have it

I'm jealous. I have the GB version, but I want the original cartridge.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-29-2002 01:13:15 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Breath of Fire - Have it

*looks at his SNES BoF cart*
Considering the first BoF was released for the SNES, not the NES, I'm wondering how this is possible.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Talonus ]

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-29-2002 01:18:14 PM
Indeed Guerilla War and Contra are the best games EVAR!!
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Deathbeam Warhero
Pancake
posted 12-29-2002 01:26:35 PM
You forgot Punch-Out!!
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 12-29-2002 01:36:10 PM
How much does a NES run these days?
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Alaan
posted 12-29-2002 01:42:37 PM
All I have left for my NES is Mario/Duckhunt and RC Pro Am. On top of that the sound is busted...
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-29-2002 01:57:36 PM
quote:
Comrade Snoota's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
How much does a NES run these days?

$40 or so. Funcoland usually sells them for around that price, although I think I saw one before for $30 or $35. It may have only had one controller, though.

Skaw
posted 12-29-2002 02:02:24 PM
quote:
Talonus thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
*looks at his SNES BoF cart*
Considering the first BoF was released for the SNES, not the NES, I'm wondering how this is possible.

I'm not here to correct people, just to tell them if I have the game or not. It's been so long since I played that game anyway.

Speaking of which, I should throw in Mario 2, I don't recall ever completing it.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 03:19:18 PM
I also forgot 10 yard fight - best football game in video game history. (I know that doesn't say much.)

You guys listed a few games I've never played, a few I've never heard of and/or played, and also a few I remembered...

Also must have:
10 Yard Fight
Strider
Deja Vu
Metroid
Punch-Out
RC Pro Am

Never heard of/Never played:
Guerilla War
River City Ransom
Thundercade
Xenophobe
Legendary Wings

Personally, I disliked excitebike. Just bored me, I guess.

When I had my old Nintendo, I had no source of new games, although I did have quite a few Nintendo Power magazines. Every once in a while I'd go to this guy's store(before it got closed down) and my parents would buy me a game or two. Still, I had no real way of knowing which games were good or not.

Also, gamestop.com has almost everything, although a few are a "bit" more expensive than I was looking to pay. $25*crappy Canadian exchange rate+shipping is gonna cost me $50. e.g. Contra

Funcoland is a no-go, They don't have them in Canada at all, as far as I know.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 12-29-2002 03:24:10 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Zephyer:
METROID!

-Tok
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 12-29-2002 03:30:51 PM
Anyone know a good NES emulation site? I feel like playing a few of the old games now and my NES is long gone.
You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-29-2002 04:23:17 PM
I wonder how much an unopened classic NES (with grey Zapper) with a collection of classic and also unopened games would go for on eBay.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-29-2002 04:33:38 PM
I would try half.com or perhaps the Amazon marketplace too then, Inferno. You may find someone in the area where shipping won't be too much, and who is offering the game for less.

That's my one complaint about Gamestop, that some games are a bit pricey, but then again they go for around the same on E-bay. Like my FF1 was $24.99, quite a bit more than the $3.99 I would pay for another given NES game.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-29-2002 06:07:23 PM
quote:
This one time, at Lyinar Ka`Bael camp:
I would try half.com or perhaps the Amazon marketplace too then, Inferno. You may find someone in the area where shipping won't be too much, and who is offering the game for less.

That's my one complaint about Gamestop, that some games are a bit pricey, but then again they go for around the same on E-bay. Like my FF1 was $24.99, quite a bit more than the $3.99 I would pay for another given NES game.

Gamespot is guaranteed. I feel safe getting a game from them. I trust them to actually SEND me the game, and that the game will WORK when I get it.

Obviously, If I can get the game on Ebay for half the price, I'm not gonna have too much trouble deciding. But if the difference is only a dollar or two, I'd rather go with what's safe.

As for the expensive games, like FF1 and Contra, all the Megaman games, etc., I'll probably end up at Ebay or half.com.

Thanks a lot, everybody. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 12-29-2002 06:19:58 PM
Master Blaster (is that the right name?)
Paper Boy
RAMPAGE!!!
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Kirane
Pancake
posted 12-29-2002 08:56:48 PM
I have a working NES, with a 2 controllers, the gun, about 300 games and lots more. I even have the wireless joypad(or something similar).

How much are you looking to spend? I might be intrested in selling.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-29-2002 09:28:56 PM
Don't write off half.com if it's going to save you some money. I've had absolutely no problems with any game I've gotten from there.

I buy mostly books from the Marketplace, but again, no problems with the few games I've bought from there, either.

But yes, go gamestop first. Their selection is highly superior, plus they quite often do a Free Shipping special. So they're worth shopping with.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: