EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Ram question
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-02-2002 12:34:51 PM
Ok given the current tech which is better
PC1066 RDRAM

or

PC 2700 DDR

I know the Rambus has about double the transfer rate but the numbers arn't everything.

And please no flames or fanboi type comments. Only post if you have something valuable to add to the debate.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Beta is in school
Pancake
posted 12-02-2002 12:37:31 PM
I really don't know. I'd prolly say the 1066 or whatever it was.

I just huggle my PC2100 happily, and hope the price drops more on it.

Maradon!
posted 12-02-2002 12:58:55 PM
DDR will always outperform rambus in conventional, non-server use, and it isn't such a pain in the ass to install.

[ 12-02-2002: Message edited by: Maradon XP ]

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-02-2002 01:01:28 PM
quote:
Maradon XP had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
DDR will always outperform rambus in conventional, non-server use, and it isn't such a pain in the ass to install.

The fact that it's more economical, coupled with the fact that RDRAM doesn't offer enough of a performance boost, to justify the increased price, pretty much guarantees that the future will go to DDR over RDRAM.

At least, that's how I see it. Personally, I prefer DDR because it's better bang for my buck.

Maradon!
posted 12-02-2002 01:04:31 PM
From what I hear RDRAM rocks for server applications, or other things where essentially the same data is being moved through RAM constantly, but it becomes a big time bottleneck when you're constantly changing data, as in a home computer / gaming environment.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 12-02-2002 09:04:38 PM
and the thing everyone is forgetting is:
Motherboards.

There are currently many, many motherboards supporting DDR, and extremely few supporting rambus, and the fact that the boards trhat do support rambus are lacking all the virtues of the DDR boards, like extra features and such.

And don't forget, you can get double DDR controllers and then your maximum throughput just spanked Rambus, HARD. Look at the ram bandwidth on the new Nforce2 chipset, it makes baby rambus cry.

Lastly, Rambus is manufactured in extremely small quantities, and the sticks that are marked for 1066 just barely qualify, wheras you can take a stick of DDR 3200, clock it DOWN to 2700 speeds, and drop the cas latency to 2.0 or even 1.5, making things even worse for rambus.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Maradon!
posted 12-02-2002 11:04:56 PM
So basically rambus is DDR's bitch.
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 12-02-2002 11:11:46 PM
quote:
Maradon XP had this to say about John Romero:
So basically rambus is DDR's bitch.

Only if you believe Big_Mac's misleading and faulty reasoning.
I can go down to compusa and get a Motherboard with all the same features in either memory type and price would be almst identical.
Rambus prices seem to be falling pretty much in line with DDR although it is still a bit higher.
For most things they seem to be pretty much the same in performance that I have found except when it comes to Servers. In that case it isnt' even close. Rambus bends DDR over it's knee and spanks it hard.

Availibility though is still the downside. It is harder to find.

And one thing that people are also overlooking. P4s are pretty much made for Rambus. A P4 with Rambus will blow away a P4 with DDR. And to my knowlege AMD has no Rambus support at all.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Suddar
posted 12-02-2002 11:13:33 PM
I actually thought the Northwood (or something?) core was built more around DDR and in a much more sensical manner, which is why it absolutely blows the old core away.
»Waisztarroz«
Pancake
posted 12-02-2002 11:14:51 PM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
And one thing that people are also overlooking. P4s are pretty much made for Rambus. A P4 with Rambus will blow away a P4 with DDR. And to my knowlege AMD has no Rambus support at all.

There you go, the precise reason why DDR>Rambus.

Rambus works for those shitty P4s.

I <3 Steel Battalion!
Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 12-02-2002 11:27:21 PM
quote:
»Waisztarroz« spewed forth this undeniable truth:
There you go, the precise reason why DDR>Rambus.

Rambus works for those shitty P4s.

...uh oh.

Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
»Waisztarroz«
Pancake
posted 12-02-2002 11:28:53 PM
quote:
How.... Kegwen 2.0.... uughhhhhh:
...uh oh.

Oops, did I say that?

I <3 Steel Battalion!