EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Creation? Evolution?
Author
Topic: Creationism or Evolution!
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-17-2002 04:01:02 PM
Stealing a page from Star Collective's book here. Seems this will make another good discussion.

ONLY if you believe Creationism or Evolution...discussion starts at 12 midnight Eastern Time.

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 11-17-2002 04:02:04 PM
I vote other cause my beliefs are too complexed to be sorted out into either of those two.
I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
MadCat the 2nd
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 04:03:06 PM
I vote evolution. It's been proven, whereas creationism hasn't.
"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 11-17-2002 04:04:21 PM
Other: I believe creation occured, and smaller evolutions/adaptations took place (not like fish to man, something wolf to domesticated dog, or cow to um...cow.)
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 11-17-2002 04:04:31 PM
quote:
Verily, MadCat the 2nd doth proclaim:
I vote evolution. It's been proven, whereas creationism hasn't.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-17-2002 04:06:22 PM
Awww, midnight? Looks like I'm gonna be up late again. Cool.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-17-2002 04:14:24 PM
Evolution.

And as a biology student I refuse to discuss this. Because, there simply is nothing to discuss.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
adenine!
Closet Republican
posted 11-17-2002 04:16:57 PM
Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded.
Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 11-17-2002 04:17:12 PM
quote:
From the book of Tarquinn, chapter 3, verse 16:
Evolution.

And as a biology student I refuse to discuss this. Because, there simply is nothing to discuss.

how bout the tiger in your sig, we can discuss how it evolved?

I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Suddar
posted 11-17-2002 04:18:51 PM
Creationism.

Just to divvy it up some.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 11-17-2002 04:28:26 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other...
Over time we evolved from something... We don't know what. However at one time or another there had to be a begining. Something created that.
"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 11-17-2002 04:32:19 PM
A form of intelligent design.

Created, set forth to evolve - like some form of experiment.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-17-2002 04:33:52 PM
quote:
Vorbo Goatboy got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
A form of intelligent design.

Created, set forth to evolve - like some form of experiment.

Someone needs to read up on probability and parsimony.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 11-17-2002 04:53:47 PM
quote:
Karnaj had this to say about Duck Tales:
Someone needs to read up on probability and parsimony.

Screw you! Just because I want to rationalize things in a way that doesn't make me implode in internal conflict doesn't mean you have to piss down my throat.

Or does it? Shit, either way having some piss down my throat doesn't sound half bad.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-17-2002 04:56:52 PM
A friend of mine dragged me to a church one week. One of those "Omg lets have fun while brainwashing you!" kinda places.

Anyway, they handed out this packet that was "All about creationism!".. and used such LOGICAL stuff as "There's not enough helium in the air for the earth to be that old!" and "If we decended from modern day apes, why aren't modern day apes.. US?" and other stuff.

I laughed myself fuzzy when I tried to read it.

And promptly countered every single point that they had in the entire book on a seventh grade science education.

They didn't like me much after that.

Maybe it was because I had just proved via logic that I was god just before that, I can't tell.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-17-2002 05:17:44 PM
Delphi's not god.

God's better looking.

I should know; I've seen Dogma.

Archon
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 05:20:05 PM
Creation, thought there really are too many sub-divisions to lump them all together into creation evolution and other, thats definatly the category i would fall under. I'm not going to be up tonight past midnight as i have high school to attend. And its quite frustrating to be told "Nuh-uh!" then, "You've just been PWNED!"
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 11-17-2002 05:20:38 PM
quote:
Verily, Khyron doth proclaim:
Delphi's not god.

God's better looking.

I should know; I've seen Dogma.

Alanis Morissete (Omg I cnat speel) is a hawtie as god.

I just proved I was god via some logical manner that a vulcan couldn't refute.. But I forget how I did it, it was sooo long ago.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 11-17-2002 05:23:33 PM
omg evolution isn't possible because of the second law of thermodynamics!

I know it's true, I read it on a website called "Beating your Bible - for fun and profit!" the other day.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 11-17-2002 05:29:34 PM
My beleif: evolution with a bitta help along the way.

However, my idea of "help" probably differs greatly from the ideas others have.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 11-17-2002 05:31:37 PM
quote:
Tarquinn thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
Evolution.

Amen.

"The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false."
-St. Thomas Aquinas, one of my favourite people ever.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 11-17-2002 05:50:35 PM
I voted "other." First of all, it is important to realize that evolution and creationism aren't mutually exclusive. I believe that, as it is generally accepted that the universe grew from a singularity, some power outside our universe caused that singularity to expand, because it simply couldn't do that by itself, for no reason. After that instant, however, I believe evolution took over, on a universal scale involving matter and energy.

Eventually, when various planetary bodies had formed, I believe that "god" again stepped in, acting as the catalyst that caused various chemicals to combine in the ways that led to the first autonomous "life." Again, I simply don't think it is reasonable to believe these ridiculously complex chemical reactions could have taken place by chance.

Afterward, evolution again takes over. Whether or not "god" has made any appearances since then is another matter entirely, and, I'm going to assume, doesn't really impact this argument.

Wwwoooow I've had WAAAY tomuchcoffee

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 11-17-2002 05:57:16 PM
quote:
OtakuPenguin stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Amen.

"The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false."
-St. Thomas Aquinas, one of my favourite people ever.

Spiffy quote OP and very true.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-17-2002 08:15:22 PM
Evolution

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-17-2002 09:11:43 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Tarquinn said:
Evolution.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 11-17-2002 09:30:39 PM
quote:
Tarquinn obviously shouldn't have said:
Evolution.

Also because two debates in as many days would fook with my sleeping schedule.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-17-2002 09:36:20 PM
You can't say that it is incredibly unlikly that life as we know it would come about. If anything remotly resembling a self replicating being then it become much more likly for what we know to come about. Why? Because what works better is going to survive, and what we know will eventually come up.

Oh yea, Evolution.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 11-17-2002 11:26:17 PM
Why worry about the past? Think about the future instead. We don't have all 5 billion years to exist on Earth; it'll get too hot to stay on the surface 1 billion years from now.

Our predicted future!

Maradon!
posted 11-17-2002 11:33:52 PM
You speak of creation and evolution as if they're mutually exclusive.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-17-2002 11:42:16 PM
I'm down with creationism, but I'm not gonna stay up till 2:30 debating about it like last night.

I'll sum it up with this: (And I know it's not midnight yet.)

Until they can take empty space (Real space, not just an open field) and make a chunk of rock appear there. I won't go along with the big bang theory.

Until they can take some purified water. (With NO bacteria in it) and prove that some bacteria or amoebas or whatever came out of it without any help, then I'll start to think about eveolution.

Until then, it's just my word against yours.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-17-2002 11:46:07 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Rodent King said:
I'm down with creationism, but I'm not gonna stay up till 2:30 debating about it like last night.

I'll sum it up with this: (And I know it's not midnight yet.)

Until they can take empty space (Real space, not just an open field) and make a chunk of rock appear there. I won't go along with the big bang theory.

Until they can take some purified water. (With NO bacteria in it) and prove that some bacteria or amoebas or whatever came out of it without any help, then I'll start to think about eveolution.

Ok.. then by your own words. How is there a God? Got to make him appear out of nowhere too

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-17-2002 11:47:28 PM
quote:
Kennatsu had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Our predicted future!

That dude's site misspelled "Apocalypse"

Evolution.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-17-2002 11:56:11 PM
quote:
Pesco wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Ok.. then by your own words. How is there a God? Got to make him appear out of nowhere too

Exactly, if something big like the stuff I mentioned happens, my view might be changed.

And, if something big happens to back my idea up, your views might change.

Until then, there's not much to say.

Pesco
Is a copyright of Peachis. Don't underestimate his pants, either.
posted 11-18-2002 12:00:33 AM
quote:
Rodent King had this to say about John Romero:
Exactly, if something big like the stuff I mentioned happens, my view might be changed.

And, if something big happens to back my idea up, your views might change.

Until then, there's not much to say.

Actually... judging how people in general react to things like that. No, your views won't change

Maradon!
posted 11-18-2002 12:03:59 AM
Except that you can watch things evolve over a reasonable timespan.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 11-18-2002 12:04:16 AM
quote:
Rodent King's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

So the big bang ISN'T believable because it is at a certain level something from nothing

Yet, an all powerful god creating something out of nothing IS believable... just because?

So life starting at a single celled level in water is LESS believable then us all appearing as we pretty much are now along with all other life in the blink of an eye?

Right

(Oh yeah, this thead is going to go downhill fast )

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-18-2002 12:07:55 AM
It's too bad creation 'theories', as well as arguments for God's existence all inevitably fall prey to Occam's Razor and the logical principle of parsimony.

Beer.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 11-18-2002 12:10:05 AM
quote:
Vorago wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
So the big bang ISN'T believable because it is at a certain level something from nothing

Yet, an all powerful god creating something out of nothing IS believable... just because?

So life starting at a single celled level in water is LESS believable then us all appearing as we pretty much are now along with all other life in the blink of an eye?

Right

(Oh yeah, this thead is going to go downhill fast )

Can we roll the whole creationism and evolution thing into one topic here? If you think God created Earth you'd probably think that he made man too. If you're on the other side of the issue, you belive God doesn't exist, so he obviosly didn't make Earth or humans.

This broils down into a debate about where we came from. I personally think that we've got a better chance to have been made and put here by something that's smarter and more powerful than we are. You think we're here because somehow, reality screwed up and these big rocks called planets were formed completely by accident.

Maradon!
posted 11-18-2002 12:11:22 AM
quote:
Rodent King had this to say about dark elf butts:
I personally think that we've got a better chance to have been made and put here by something that's smarter and more powerful than we are. You think we're here because somehow, reality screwed up and these big rocks called planets were formed completely by accident.

I think it's both.

Delphi Aegis
posted 11-18-2002 12:11:44 AM
For the record, your rock into space and life from purified water ideas are esentially flawed.

First of all, we don't exactly know what the hell the big bang was. All we have noticed is that all the galaxies and shit are moving away from one another. So, bring the timeline back far enough, and you get to a single point.. And energy to matter transfers can be done in theory (Woo woo scientifically if not technologically sound Star Trek!).

And purified water is two elements. That's it. Nothing like the "soup" that scientists propose we were made out of. There was a shitload more in there then just water. We don't KNOW what, since we weren't there, but anyway..

Please bring rational arguments to a discussion next time.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: