EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Question about college computer degrees
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-03-2002 11:42:59 AM
Since I've started College (last spring), I've just been taking core curriculum classes to get them out of the way.

I know that I want to major in some computer field, and right now I've got Computer Science down as my major.

Due to the current Job market, what SHOULD I be majoring in? What area should I be taking classes in?

I'd really like to NOT go to school for a degree only to get out of school and find absolutely NO job for me.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 10-03-2002 12:08:55 PM
quote:
Densetsu wrote this stupid crap:
Since I've started College (last spring), I've just been taking core curriculum classes to get them out of the way.

I know that I want to major in some computer field, and right now I've got Computer Science down as my major.

Due to the current Job market, what SHOULD I be majoring in? What area should I be taking classes in?

I'd really like to NOT go to school for a degree only to get out of school and find absolutely NO job for me.

I want to add to that. What if you get a Master's degree with that a computer science BS. Will that help you land a job?

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Mojojojo
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 12:15:25 PM
In my experience, you can never have too much education, but computer jobs seems to be in that grey area between white collar and blue collar. Alot of the times, a degree is required but the employers are looking for those Certs like MSCE etc. This is in the Dallas area so it may be different elsewhere.
Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 01:36:23 PM
This is nothing but Two Cents but around here (Georgia Tech) it seems like the best course for a CS major is to finish your bachelor's and then go for an MBA. Personally though I'm having a hard time stomaching that.. "pure business" to me seems so much posturing and so little accomplishing something satisfying. CS majors tend to harangue the management folk (it's the "football player" major) but somewhere in there I sense a tinge of jealousy. Tech's CS major is not the most practical degree in the world (the word "C++" is never even mentioned for some reason) which leads me to think some business knowledge couldn't hurt at all.

That said, it has taught me some very useful skills, many of which I couldn't get elsewhere. Who knows... I guess we'll see in a couple years,

--iuli

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-03-2002 01:58:49 PM
Computer Science or Computer Engineering are the mostly widely accepted IT degrees.

Engineering is a little more difficult, but holds slightly more weight. However, with engineering degrees you get to focus more on the hardware. Just depends what you like.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Valso the WhiteDragon
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 05:53:28 PM
2nd year CS major now and I am minorly worried myself. The thing I am hoping for is internships to help me. Locally specifically. There are a number of computer jobs in my town and one of them would proabbaly love cheap slave labor for a summer and possibly have room for me when I graduate... Or, I'll look into a Masters/PHD so I don't have to worry about a job for another 4-10 years past getting a BA.. 8)

Oh, to touch up on this also. It depends on the type of computer job you are looking for. If you plan to do something in math/algorithms for the government, I am sure they will require a BA instead of those IT junkie ones. (That was just one example). Software programmer? Hardware programmer? Network Admin? Database enterer... (Secretary)

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: WhiteDragon 83 ]

Alaan
posted 10-03-2002 06:11:05 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Reynar said:
However, with engineering degrees you get to focus more on the hardware.

You can also be a Software Engineer. Same general idea though. A little more work in college, not even that much, but better pay and job possibilities.

Mattimeo
Was once a member
posted 10-03-2002 06:54:20 PM
Network Engineering is the easier field to get a job in right now, General Computer Engineering looks good but most IT Depts. want at lease a broad engineering and an engineering certification in what their company uses (IE MCSE or CNE). You may also want to get your Net+ and A+ as some helpers.
(I've done intern stuff and majored in this for the last 3 years). Software Engineering is on a down slope.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 10-03-2002 07:17:53 PM
quote:
Densetsu painfully thought these words up:

Underwater Basket Weaving.

but seriously, the best job opportunities are in areas that aren't so volitile. i'm Majoring in Psychology (and Philosphy, but that's a different story) because it's a job route that's always going to have a steady need.

there will always be needs for therapists, teachers, nurses, doctors, engineers, ect.

but Code Monkey-ing is quickly on it's way to becoming a min. wage job due to the surge of people with Comp Sci type degrees and training.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-03-2002 07:38:19 PM
quote:
Iulius Kaesar was listening to Cher while typing:
This is nothing but Two Cents but around here (Georgia Tech) it seems like the best course for a CS major is to finish your bachelor's and then go for an MBA. Personally though I'm having a hard time stomaching that.. "pure business" to me seems so much posturing and so little accomplishing something satisfying. CS majors tend to harangue the management folk (it's the "football player" major) but somewhere in there I sense a tinge of jealousy. Tech's CS major is not the most practical degree in the world (the word "C++" is never even mentioned for some reason) which leads me to think some business knowledge couldn't hurt at all.

That said, it has taught me some very useful skills, many of which I couldn't get elsewhere. Who knows... I guess we'll see in a couple years,

--iuli

I have absolutely no idea what you just said.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: