EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Teeth.
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 10-03-2002 11:04:09 AM
What's the deal? I never understood it much.
People love straight, white, teeth, yet most everyone I know has had braces, or needs them.

I have bad teeth, no, I have horrible teeth. Braces weren't even an option a year ago, because some were too weak to support the frame and wires. Just yesterday I was in to get a filling replaced, it had become loose and fallen out. During the whole time, I was just thinking, "Why not pull all the fuckers out and get dentures?".

Now, granted, the only people I know with dentures are both of my grandmothers, but it just seems like they're less work and no doubt look better than my current teeth.

So this morning I was thinking again, why the hell don't other people do it? I can't be the first person to have thought of it, although it does seem like it'll save a shitload of pain(jaw surgery? Jesus christ.) and cash.($1200 for two years of braces? Holy shit.)

Just bored ramblings.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Suddar
posted 10-03-2002 11:06:25 AM
i'd be cool with dentures, but i wouldn't dare to eat anything or talk.
Il Buono
posted 10-03-2002 11:07:38 AM
That's why you glue them to your gums. (Really!)

Thinking about it now, it'd be even less work and hassle than brushing your teeth. Certainly harder to forget.

Suddar
posted 10-03-2002 11:08:50 AM
still. unless it's like, super-mega-bond glue which will hold through a nuclear explosion, i'd be paranoid.

and...glueing something to your gums must feel really weird.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 10-03-2002 11:21:10 AM
Some women might find that to be a turn-off.

Ever seen those Nike commericals? Where the woman drops her pocketbook, and the young man standing next to her is all too glad to play Spider-Man and hop his spandex'd ass down a few flights to get?

Then she drops her dentures?

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Il Buono
posted 10-03-2002 11:31:12 AM
quote:
Black Mage wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Ever seen those Nike commericals?

Nope.

But I'm talking about like everyone having them. And a woman with dentures..

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2002 11:34:00 AM
White teeth are actually unnatural. The real colour of human teeth (even cleaned) is an off-white, like a dark shade of cream.

You want brilliant white teeth? Polish them like you've never polished before, and smear them in whiteners. Either that or hire your own personal dentist.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 10-03-2002 11:34:02 AM
quote:
D wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Nope.

But I'm talking about like everyone having them. And a woman with dentures..

Hey, I happen to like my teeth, thanks. Though they're fucked up (Not as bad as your sound though.), I like em.
quote:
Mr Mort spewed forth this undeniable truth:
White teeth are actually unnatural. The real colour of human teeth (even cleaned) is an off-white, like a dark shade of cream.

You want brilliant white teeth? Polish them like you've never polished before, and smear them in whiteners. Either that or hire your own personal dentist.

Irony alert.

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Black Mage ]

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2002 11:37:12 AM
quote:
Black Mage had this to say:
Irony alert.

What?

I'm serious. Pure white teeth do not naturally occur. Ask any dentist.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 10-03-2002 11:39:35 AM
quote:
Mr Mort had this to say about Optimus Prime:
What?
Heeeheheheeee!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 10-03-2002 11:53:50 AM
Yes, I'm British.

No, I do not have bad teeth.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 10-03-2002 11:58:55 AM
quote:
Verily, hard technology rock doth proclaim:
still. unless it's like, super-mega-bond glue which will hold through a nuclear explosion, i'd be paranoid.

and...glueing something to your gums must feel really weird.

It can't be much worse than a retainer, which is kinda like removable braces. I had to wear those for a few years. They kept falling out at first, but I soon got used to them and they stayed put.

They were annoying though. Not to mention, I still think that I would have liked having that set of fangs outside my normal teeth.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 10-03-2002 12:07:28 PM
I agree D.. can I pull your teeth out for you>???
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 10-03-2002 12:16:31 PM
This whole dentures talk reminds me of the movie Red Dragon. I personally think that total reconstructive jaw surgery is better. However, I have considered dentures as an option.

As for women with dentures... hmmm... interesting...

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Alek Saege ]

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 10-03-2002 03:09:39 PM
Pffhah! Dentures are for lamers!

Real men don't use dentures.

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Tarquinn ]

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-03-2002 03:13:08 PM
quote:
Black Mage enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Ever seen those Nike commericals? Where the woman drops her pocketbook, and the young man standing next to her is all too glad to play Spider-Man and hop his spandex'd ass down a few flights to get?

Then she drops her dentures?

A clear-minded man would find a woman with removable teeth to be a positive boon.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Skaw
posted 10-03-2002 03:14:26 PM
Jaws was l33t.
/dev/null
Pancake
posted 10-03-2002 03:22:36 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Robocop:
A clear-minded man would find a woman with removable teeth to be a positive boon.

Friend of mine in HS dated a woman with removable teeth.

He quite enjoyed the experience.

Beep. Beep. Beep... Ohh... I think my porridge is done.
My fellow Americans, as you know, my foreign policy can be summed up in five words: "Iludium-236 Explosive Space Modulator."
When it comes down to it, searching the web without Google is like straining sewage with your teeth.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 10-03-2002 03:54:12 PM
My dad has had dentures since he was 18, and they've come out exactly once.

While arguing with my brother, he was screaming at the top of his lungs when his top teeth suddenly went flying out of his mouth.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Skaw
posted 10-03-2002 03:55:48 PM
quote:
Comrade Snoota had this to say about John Romero:

While arguing with my brother, he was screaming at the top of his lungs when his top teeth suddenly went flying out of his mouth.

I do believe I'd laugh if I saw that.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-03-2002 03:55:57 PM
quote:
Comrade Snoota had this to say about dark elf butts:

Did they bite his brother?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Burger
BANNED!
posted 10-03-2002 04:25:38 PM
don't go with standard bdentures, you can have titanium anchors imbedded in your jaw bones, and then you have semi-removable dentures. They're as secure as regular teeth, but you can remove them from the anchors for cleaning and such. It's a fairly simple surgury to set up your mouth to accept them, and then it's much easier than regular dentures.
Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 10-03-2002 08:02:10 PM
I don't, nor will I ever, need braces and have kept my teeth a nice white-ish colour.
Steven Steve
posted 10-03-2002 08:59:54 PM
I have theoretically perfect teeth besides the ol' classic gap in the front teeth, and I don't want to get braces. For one thing, they cost thousands of dollars, and for another, it would be a bit harder to keep my teeth clean.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 10-03-2002 09:40:37 PM
i had braces for 2 years.

very ouchy, but was worth it in the end. i had some very fucked up teeth. one of my bottom teeth actually came in sideways. i won't elaborate beyond that.

though listening to my mother whine for 2 years because she was hoping the braces would help me lose weight was somewhat degenerating to my self-esteem.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 10-03-2002 09:44:40 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Kloie said:
though listening to my mother whine for 2 years because she was hoping the braces would help me lose weight was somewhat degenerating to my self-esteem.

<--- Logic Train

-----> Yo momma.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 10-03-2002 09:45:45 PM
Well, everyone has already seen my teeth in that one picture of me with the Buckethead CD

I used to have a HORRIBLE gap between my two front teeth

I could fit a pencil in it

But over the years, it straightened out and closed without braces

Personally, I wouldn't want dentures...

A) I would be paranoid about them coming off
B) I don't worry about cracking a tooth biting through, saw, a mega jaw breaker or a T/Rib bone
(God, those mega jaw breakers are like golf balls)
C) Most of the elderly have dentures, thus I plan to keep all of my teeth
Dare to be different!
D) Don't know if waking up and seeing my mouth staring at me from a cup would be all that comforting...

Off-topic funny story

My dad once went in for surgery to align his nose. It had been broken years before and had healed crooked

So they cut along his jaw, and lifted his face over his head. Then they positioned the chisel over his nose, the doctor whacked it with a hammer and CRACK

The end of the chisel shattered

The bone didn't even crack

To this day he has small slivers of stainless steel in his face, looks like little white pencil marks on an X-Ray

First thing my dad heard from the doc after the surgery "Sir, do you drink a lot of milk?"

Moral of the story? Drink milk, get strong bones, screw up surgery

Vorago
posted 10-03-2002 09:47:07 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Kloie:
i had braces for 2 years.

very ouchy, but was worth it in the end. i had some very fucked up teeth. one of my bottom teeth actually came in sideways. i won't elaborate beyond that.

I am curious just how pieces of metal attached to your teeth can affect weight loss

That is like buying shoes on the assumption it would make you smarter

Kloie
tunactsunamooon
posted 10-03-2002 09:49:55 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Vorago!
I am curious just how pieces of metal attached to your teeth can affect weight loss

That is like buying shoes on the assumption it would make you smarter

well when they tighten the wires, it kinda hurts, and it sucks even worse to chew. so you tend to not want to eat because it fucking hurts.

i ate less, but i didn't really lose any weight.

Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 10-03-2002 09:51:36 PM
quote:
From the book of Kloie, chapter 3, verse 16:
well when they tighten the wires, it kinda hurts, and it sucks even worse to chew. so you tend to not want to eat because it fucking hurts.

i ate less, but i didn't really lose any weight.

I ate through the pain.

Taran
Dark Prince
posted 10-04-2002 12:49:55 AM
I actually have nightmares sometimes about my teeth becoming loose and falling out.
Maradon!
posted 10-04-2002 01:01:52 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Taran said:
I actually have nightmares sometimes about my teeth becoming loose and falling out.

I remember that that's supposed to mean something, but I can't remember what.

And I believe most people are opposed to dentures because of the funny way your cheeks look when they're not in, and because they tend to create bad breath faster, and because they're not as comfortable as real teeth.

Skaw
posted 10-04-2002 01:27:05 AM
My teeth are in ok condition. 1 crooked tooth on the bottom because it was growing in when I was young, and the one it was replacing didn't wanna leave

Not the best teeth in the world, far from the worst. 1 filling.

quote:
Verily, Taran doth proclaim:

Same here kinda, I just have dreams where my teeth hurt so badly, that gritting them makes them feel real loose. Thank god its only a dream...

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: Skaw ]

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 10-04-2002 03:27:44 AM
Here's what the book I have on the subject has to say on teeth:

quote:
If you dream of having false teeth this indicates that you will have unexpected help on a problem. To dream of rotten teeth shows that you have been telling someone a lie or using your smooth words for getting your own way no matter what. If your teeth are rotten, crooked, and/or falling out this means that your lies are hurting someone very badly and that you will soon be found out. If you dream you have swallowed a tooth you will soon have too 'eat your words'. It becomes much easier to interpret this kind of dream if you think of teeth as representing words. When the dreamer is not the one with the bad teeth you will naturally have to watch out for someone lying to you.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 10-04-2002 03:49:50 AM
Getting braces before you're an adult is just a way for dentist's to make money.

Seriously.

Braces as a kid make no sense because your mouth is still growing. So they can slap em on ya as a child, then again as an older kid, and again as a teenager, and again as an adult.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
nem-x
posted 10-04-2002 03:58:50 AM
Wisdom teeth will kick in sooner or later too.
leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 10-04-2002 06:50:32 AM
quote:
Mr Mort had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Yes, I'm British.

No, I do not have bad teeth.

Vorago
posted 10-04-2002 08:21:50 AM
My wisdom teeth are lazy

One came in last year

Then, a year later, the 2nd one is JUST starting to come through

Number 3 is still in there somewhere

Luckily I only have three to worry about

Didn't know till I looked at the x-ray that you can have less than 4 wisdom teeth, thought it was a 'Everyone has 4' type deal

If it's taken 19 years to get one wisdom tooth, I suspect all 3 will be in by the time I'm 30 or so

Oh shi...
what
posted 10-04-2002 08:23:43 AM
<---never has had wisdom teeth
<---has had 3 root canals with a 4th on the way
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 10-04-2002 09:45:15 AM
actually, dreams of teeth falling out is a normal thing for women going through pregnancy... don't know what it means for men
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: