EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Which one shall it be...
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 09-26-2002 12:52:06 PM
Ok, I have a stupid problem. I have taken taekwondo and judo for quite some time now, so i think it's a good time to add another style. However, I can choose between Jeet Kune Do and Aikido, which one is the best complement to what i already know.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
omfg i sux0rs
Pancake
posted 09-26-2002 02:20:49 PM
aikido
just think about how much i suck in REAL LIFE!
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 09-26-2002 02:21:53 PM
Tae Kwon Dork.
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 09-26-2002 02:58:57 PM
Aikido, bish.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-26-2002 04:18:46 PM
Capoeira!
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 09-26-2002 04:30:55 PM
WOK FU!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Dr Cysa
Angsty Mcangst
posted 09-26-2002 04:37:35 PM
Kamasutra! Wait...that isn't a fighting technique.
I don't discriminate...I hate everyone.
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 09-26-2002 06:14:39 PM
quote:
Alek Saege was naked while typing this:
Ok, I have a stupid problem. I have taken taekwondo and judo for quite some time now, so i think it's a good time to add another style. However, I can choose between Jeet Kune Do and Aikido, which one is the best complement to what i already know.

Dude, go for Jeet Kune Do. Aikido is fun for joint manipulation...but you can also take up JKD and learn Bruce Lee's style

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 09-27-2002 11:25:34 AM
quote:
Nekralt Avaane had this to say about John Romero:
Kamasutra! Wait...that isn't a fighting technique.

I know... I have it.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
UBT
Pancake
posted 09-27-2002 11:52:31 AM
Jeet Kune Do most definately. If you're taking them so that you can dominate the competition, then this is the right choice. After all, Bruce Lee created this to compete against all others and take them out in a matter of seconds....
Otku
I am no longer an idiot.
posted 09-27-2002 12:46:20 PM
Drunken Boxing!
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 09-27-2002 12:49:10 PM
Capoeira would be fun to learn

But of the choices, I'd have to say "I dunno, but Aikido sounds more fitting from what little MA knowledge I have."

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 09-27-2002 06:47:57 PM
Aikido: Standing judo, pretty much. Really beautiful when you get great at it - you can put someone on the ground without actually attacking - great defensive art.

Jeet Kun Do: Bruce Lee's personal composite of many, many martial arts (I know Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and "Kung Fu" are all incorperated, I think a few others are aswell). Other than that I don't know too much about it.

Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 09-27-2002 06:52:26 PM
Nigga Please was always my favorite martial art.

(Though I'm probably the only one here who has actually seen The Original Kings of Comedy )

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 09-27-2002 07:02:14 PM
J33t Ku Do

Bruce Lee's personal style... or akaido?

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Steven Steve
posted 09-27-2002 07:12:15 PM
Aikido would be the best complement at this point, but if you want to add on to self-defense, take Jeet Kune Do
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 09-27-2002 09:26:21 PM
Well we also had Kendo-Iaido, but that's just sword fighting. But I think I'll go for Aikido, 'cuz I hate attacking first. Maybe later when i get good at Aikido i'll take Jeet Kune Do. I tried drunken boxing once... but it's not all it's cracked up to be.
Steven Steve
posted 09-27-2002 09:39:38 PM
Hehe, Jeet Kune Do isn't attacking first, for the most part
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 09-27-2002 09:42:33 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist painfully thought these words up:
Hehe, Jeet Kune Do isn't attacking first, for the most part

Really? Hmmmmmm... I'll have to consider it. Classes don't start until Sunday anyways.

CBTao
Pancake
posted 09-27-2002 10:09:59 PM
alright, I'll give a rundown of both styles

Aikido- throwing technique, goes very close with Aido, the art of drawing the blade, its hmmm, very wide circle based, you need room

Jeet Kune Do- Brainchild of Bruce Lee, who'se first taught art was Wing Chun Kung Fu (the style I learn), and carries a lot from there, WC itself is EXCEPTIONALLY efficient, and Bruce lee worked to make it moreso, however the base teaching of JKD, to have no real form, has been bastardized, so that JKD is distinctive, and its taken a lot of wide circle movements from the other styles he took from in making JKD

if a choice between the two, I would suggest JKD, it'll open up different approaches to disabling your opponent, and on whole a much more broad philosophy (if the teacher is good)

my ultimate suggestion, is to find a Kung Fu instructor, be it Shaolin Five Animal, or any style, Wing Chun I would highly suggest, but any Kung Fu, will open you up conceptually than a lot of other schools

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: