EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Laptops!
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 09-21-2002 08:25:59 PM
I need suggestions on a good laptop. Preferably one that will run EverQuest and the like.

As always when I ask stupid questions like this, price isn't really a concern since I'm in no dire need of it right this second so I can save up a few weeks.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 09-21-2002 08:27:31 PM
Sony seem to make nice laptops.. And Dell as well.. Pretty much the same as desktops when your looking to buy one; Go for the most shit for the least amount of buck and your good to go.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 09-21-2002 08:28:21 PM
I've never even glanced at a laptop before so I was looking for a place to start that didn't suck ass.

You smell that? Do you smell that? ...Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory.
-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 09-21-2002 08:33:59 PM
Don't get a EMachine or a Gateway..

Get a Dell or a Sony..

That's my opinion

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 09-21-2002 08:45:19 PM
Personally I thought that
this was a nice one. Just my opinion, however.
Suddar
posted 09-21-2002 09:04:36 PM
http://www.powernotebooks.com/sager/2280_Specs.php3 -- no frills laptop.
http://www.powernotebooks.com/pp26specs.php3 -- "holy shit ninjas" laptop which will probably dwarf most full-size PCs in performance with some extra memory.
Comrade Snoota
Communist
Da, Tovarisch!
posted 09-21-2002 09:13:26 PM
And while on the subject of computers, anyone have any suggestions for a good CD Burner?
»Waisztarroz«
Pancake
posted 09-21-2002 09:19:47 PM
quote:
Comrade Snoota had this to say about the Spice Girls:
And while on the subject of computers, anyone have any suggestions for a good CD Burner?

Go Plextor. I have the 12X CD-R that is really excellent in performance.

Of course, if you're willing to wait, go with a DVD-R in a few months when the $$ goes down on them.

I <3 Steel Battalion!
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 09-21-2002 09:32:35 PM
I'd get a Sony.

Y'know, since EQ is already on it, it's my assumption it should run fine.

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 09-21-2002 09:54:33 PM
I second the Sony or dell opinion.
If you are looking for games I would say Dell more than sony though.
The high end Dells come with GeForceGo Cards, have better screens, and generally are a bit faster overall. Gowever you do pay for all that. Expect to pay arounf 2-2.5K for one with all the bells and wistles. For about 500-1000 more you can get a bell tower as well :P
The 8200 series is currently thier Powerhouse and its only weakness is the size. But if you are not looking for portability then they can't be beat.

As for burners I just got a Sony 40x/12/x48x. Cost 89 before a 10 dollar instant rebate and then a 20 dollar mail in rebate on top of that. I had only one complain about it and thatis that it didn't quite match the color of my case. But I am a fashion whore like that.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Beta Tested
Pancake
posted 09-21-2002 10:02:25 PM
I'd go with a Dell or Sony, maybe HP because they seem to have all the bells and whistles as the others for about the same price.

Make sure you get a P4 MOBLIE P4-m in the laptop, not just a P4. Battery life gets shot to hell when you stick a normal desktop processor in a laptop. That's one of the problem with AlienWares laptops, though I'm told the battery will last 2 hours, that's not a whole lot.

For CD burners, Plextor or TDK are the way to go in my opinion. I swear by my TDK and my friend by his Plextor. Don't get a cheap no name brand one, I was dissapointed with my DVD drive when I did that, it skips, a lot(when it's a normal CD I can plug it into my CDRW drive and have no problems with it).

What's this thing do?
That would be sooo cool if it wasn't going to hurt us.
Melphina's Magelo
Oh shi...
what
posted 09-21-2002 10:08:48 PM
quote:
Azizza attempted to be funny by writing:
But if you are not looking for portability then they can't be beat.

You mean like, a top of the line home computer?

laptop = portable

If it isn't portable, it's a home computer =)

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 09-21-2002 11:23:02 PM
Sony Vaio = The Suck.

Do not buy one under any circumstances.

*kicks the paperweight which used to be a laptop*

Piper
Rabid Druid
posted 09-21-2002 11:41:00 PM
Work just bought me a brand new high end dell. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I haven't tested out eq on it, but it runs daoc very nice, poser and photoshop as well.

PIPERPOWER
What?! I was talking about the fish you crazy bastard!
Aure entuluva! ...or at least I hope.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 09-21-2002 11:54:11 PM
Okay, if you want better display but more expensive and lower bang for your buck, go with Sony. Damn good displays, beautiful and all, but they're more expensive and not quite as fast.

I'd go with Dell. Dell usually runs bi-monthly deals, like free RAM upgrades and stuff. When I bought my Dell laptop, I got a 15 inch screen for the price of a 14, and got 256 MB of RAM for the price of 128.

What sort of price range are you looking at?

For the Dell laptops, for a gaming machine you'll be looking at the Inspirons. I have an Inspiron 8100.

Right now, for an Inspiron 8200, you can get a free CD-RW/DVD upgrade. Up to you if that's something you want. Here's some specs :

P4 1.7Ghz with a 15" display,
Carrying case (Free offer),
256 MB DDR,
30 Gb HDD,
Cd-RW/DVD,
32MB GeForce4 440 Go,
Modular floppy drive (Meaning, you can take it out and replace it with a 2nd battery),
extra battery (Total amt of battery time goes from 4 hours to 8 or 9 hours),
External USB optical mouse (A MUST HAVE for any laptop).
1 year warranty

Total price : $1,911

If you want a GeForce 2 instead of a GeForce 4, subtract 79 bucks.

If you want 128 of RAM instead of 256, subtract 75 bucks.

If you want 1 battery and not 2, subtract 99 bucks.

Thing is, a GeForce 2 and 128 of RAM will be enough to run 0ld sk00l EQ graphics, no new models, but it will CHOKE LIKE MAD in Luclin, die outright in the bazaar, and such.

Now, look at a comparable sony :

P4 1.7 with a 15" screen
256 RAM
30Gb HDD
CD-RW/DVD
Radeon 7500 (Can't customise video card!)

Price is 2149.99

With that, you get only 1 battery, an additional battery would cost you 249.
A carrying case from sony would cost you 129.
The mouse would be extra, but that you can get almost anywhere now.

Granted, the Sony is a thinner, sleeker laptop but it fails in price and specs.

Dell 2 win, baby

Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 09-22-2002 12:06:24 AM
Coming from the standpoint of a person who sees people walk into a CompUSA and walk out with a laptop on an almost daily basis, I'll provide my insight.

The most popular seems to be the Toshiba S501. I think that it's a pretty good machine, and it's not too outrageously priced. I would caution against Dell, as their support is, how to say, less than fantastic (at least that's how I've heard it told from actual customers who complain to ME of all people about it).

Sony makes a decent computer, but for a little higher price. It's the smallest and most compact of all while still being very functional. They do charge more, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Soldar
I'll take two of anything, please. To go.
posted 09-22-2002 12:26:39 AM
quote:
Jaggedpine Mistwalker Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I would caution against Dell, as their support is, how to say, less than fantastic (at least that's how I've heard it told from actual customers who complain to ME of all people about it).

Well, would a customer who didn't need help praise their service?

TaLourin
Pancake
posted 09-22-2002 12:57:26 AM
HOW DARE YOU SAY AN UNKIND WORD ABOUT THE DELL!

Me and Lunchbox patterned our whole lives off Morris Day and Jerome, I'm a SMOOOOOTH, pimp who...

Oh, wait..

Dell's support has always been fine. I've never had a problem they didnt fix. Price isnt too much of an issue, as just about anywhere is going to try and fuck you in the unkind way (ungreased dildo). But, remember.. Dell has VERY good service and support. Dell, is doing better with the technology slowdown than other companies are. Dell WILL be here 2 years from now.

Also, I've had my Dell Laptop for a couple years now, and it hasn't failed me yet, except for a couple moments of human error.

Also, playing EQ on a laptop annoys the holy fuck out of some people. As the LCD screen does a couple funky things if you sit too close to the damned thing.

Also.. if you dont want to carry an external numpad with you, you might wanna rebind ALL your keys.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: