EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: To give this 'testing' thread purpose...
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-31-2002 11:15:21 AM
I shall now describe how to use artillery in BF1942.

First, have someone on your team become a 'scout' and equip the binoculars (Default is 5 key).

zoom in using alt-fire, and click 'fire' to request artillery.

Now, you must be in an artillery battery to fire. In the demo, the japanese have the destroyer (NOTE! Only GUNNERS, not the driver, can use artillery) or the allies have the stationary shore defense cannons.

In the gun, right-click to bring up the artillery screen. The target is in the dead center of the screen, in the center of the reticle. On the edge of the reticle, is your gun position. Turn the gun, until it's facing the center of the screen, set it so a low to medium height, and fire. You'll see your shot fire, and where it lands. You'll also see two yellow blocks (Where you're currently aiming) and two faded yellow blocks (Your last shot). Basically, it's like scorched earth in 3-D. If the shot goes too high, angle it down. If it goes to far one way or another, angle it left or right

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Khyron
posted 08-31-2002 11:34:54 AM
Me and Nem were practicing with this. The range and capabilities of this are incredible. We were using the destroyer in its default starting position (At the cape way out there by the carrier) to bomb the planes at the airfield.
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 08-31-2002 11:43:30 AM
Oho, but can you tell me the difference in game between the zero and the allied plane? I fly zeros alot, so is there any noticable difference?
Khyron
posted 08-31-2002 11:50:47 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Arrenn Lightblade wrote:
Oho, but can you tell me the difference in game between the zero and the allied plane? I fly zeros alot, so is there any noticable difference?

Not really much is noticable, the planes are basically the same. Balance purposes and all

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 08-31-2002 12:01:35 PM
Although there are three types of planes, I'm not entirely sure which I like the most yet.

Either the fighter or torp bomber, I don't like the bomber at all.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-31-2002 12:05:02 PM
Has anyone actually got torpedos to hit a ship? From the carrier's default position, I'll drop one on the way into shore, and I'll hear it impact on the coastline..

I fired off like 20 of 'em, all broadside, and jumped out. Checked both ships.. No damage.

Was I doing it wrong?

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 08-31-2002 12:08:04 PM
Delphi, probably flying too high. I could be wrong, of course.
Il Buono
posted 08-31-2002 12:17:35 PM
If you fly too high the torpedo will go into a nosedive and explode on impact with the water, or if you drop it in too shallow of water.

From the default carrier and destroyer position you want to be skimming the water and bombing from the North.

If you don't have to pull hard on the stick as soon as you drop it, you're too high up or too far away.

Otku
I am no longer an idiot.
posted 08-31-2002 12:43:09 PM
What determines where the camera is pointing from? when I was playing around with it with... myself.. I always got wierd ass camera positions making it near impossible to hit the target
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-31-2002 12:45:30 PM
tried the demo last night. Pretty damn impressive I must say.

one question: How the hell do you fly the planes? I managed to bank 3 times into the buildings, and over the edge... right into the water..

(no stick btw, just keyboard/mouse)

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Il Buono
posted 08-31-2002 12:46:59 PM
F9, 10 11 and 12 for camera angles.

And you have to set up a control scheme for flying with keyboard/mouse, Kal. It's under flight options.

I keep the rudder and nose bound to my WASD running keys, with pitch and roll on arrows and mouse. Right Control and Numpad 0 for guns and bombs.

Khyron
posted 08-31-2002 01:08:51 PM
quote:
So quoth Ka'Lourin D'thBlayde:
tried the demo last night. Pretty damn impressive I must say.

one question: How the hell do you fly the planes? I managed to bank 3 times into the buildings, and over the edge... right into the water..

(no stick btw, just keyboard/mouse)

Planes are tought without a joystick.

Usually, by default it's set up so that your forward key increases speed (So hold it down), left and right keys do rudder left and right (Slow turning, but doesn't change the way your plane tilts).

I'd suggest learning on the aircraft carrier. The airfield is a bitch due to the buildings and small runway. Build up speed until the nose dips down, then pull your mouse back towards you, that should pull your nose up and get you airborn. Moving the mouse left/right will tilt the plane left or right, pressing it forwards puts youinto a dive.

It takes practice, but it's very fun once you get the hang of it. STRAFE THE JEEP!

Steven Steve
posted 08-31-2002 02:20:08 PM
I use the numpad keys to pilot the planes

And remember kiddies, use the bomber to attack the boats, not the fighter or the torpedo launcher. Oh yeah, and blow up jeeps and fly through the air.

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Khyron
posted 08-31-2002 03:58:27 PM
Woohoo! I typed up my Artillery guide in an e-mail and sent it to bfcentral.com

This is the reply I got back :

quote:
Hey Kyhron,

This is an excellent tutorial/tip for those who feel the need to learn
more about the artillery system and how it works. I will be making a
Tips section today and your tips will be the first edition to it.
Thanks for your submission, very well done.

^7dUst^
BF Central

http://www.bfcentral.com/tips1.php

[ 08-31-2002: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Khyron
posted 08-31-2002 05:23:11 PM
Is my name that hard to spell? That bfcentral guy keeps calling me 'Kyhron'
nem-x
posted 08-31-2002 05:29:09 PM
The Zero is probably the fastest and most maneuverable plane, but has low armor. (Hey! Just like real life!) You can pull of very tight circles since there is no g-force penalties.

I prefer the AichiVal and Dauntless, simply because they drop two bombs at a time. Better chance at nailing a target.

As for the torpedo bombers, the torps should be able to hit ships when sent through the water, but they seem to just go underneath them and dissapear. =/

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 08-31-2002 06:03:07 PM
not too shabby I must say, by the 2nd game played, I was listed as one of the top 3 scorers at the end of the match

schweeeeeeet

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Suddar
posted 08-31-2002 06:06:07 PM
i have a lot of trouble with planes and their speed. control's not too bad anymore, but i'm either going too fast or i'm losing altitude, and still going too fast, so i eventually crash into something.

annoying.

Khyron
posted 08-31-2002 06:20:40 PM
quote:
Ka'Lourin D'thBlayde's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
not too shabby I must say, by the 2nd game played, I was listed as one of the top 3 scorers at the end of the match

schweeeeeeet

It's addicting to no end.

One of my supervisors was talking to me, he was up for 7 and a half hours last night playing.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: