EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Someone try something for me in War3...
Vorago In California
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 01:27:43 AM
In a 1vs1, a map where you know where your opponent is (Plunder Isle and such)

Be human, start an alter right away, and gang-repair it with the other 4 peasants
Make the hero asap, arch mage probabaly, and then charge him right to the enemy

Blizzard or Water Elemental... not sure which would work better

With the elementals, you could pump 3 of them out and just trash his farms to prevent him from getting a hero, since his alter wouldn't even be built yet

I am thinking it could work, because he would have NOTHING to defend, you could blizzard his peasants into dust while he is still trying to get some buildings

Could be the cheapest tactic sinced tower rushing, or it could bomb

No war3, or I would try it myself

Never fear, I shall return! This is only for a week!
nem-x
posted 08-06-2002 01:29:58 AM
Will do.
Here comes another loss for me!
Oh shi...
what
posted 08-06-2002 01:34:18 AM
It's been done. Water Elementals do 35% damage to buildings.

If you know what race your opponent is, you go blizzard on orc, human, and undead, and water elemental on night elf.

Vorago In California
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 01:37:21 AM
Do a custom game, since it would only be mos teffective if you knew where your opponent was

And no loss

I am thinking it can be rather successful, you could do a lot of damage with only peons able to stop you

Vorago In California
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 01:39:42 AM
quote:
•Delidgamond• was naked while typing this:
[QB]It's been done. Water Elementals do 35% damage to buildings.QB]

Yes, as do all units that do piercing damage

Heh

But even then, they tend to dish out some impressive damage given time

Which you would have a lot of, heh

Just a thought

The blizard to the peons that early could hurt a whole bunch though

Orc would have the easiest way to stop this though

nem-x
posted 08-06-2002 01:40:06 AM
Hooray for replay

Just did it on that Legends or whatever map. I couldn't rush him as fast as I wanted to, but let's just say the time he was idle with his peasants, he was talking about how much a fag I was.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 08-06-2002 01:44:37 AM
Hey Vorago, go read that damn story you ASKED FOR BEFORE I KILL YOU AND HAVE NEM ANALLY RAPE YOUR CORPSE.
Vorago In California
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 01:49:24 AM
quote:
Bajah had this to say about pies:
Hey Vorago, go read that damn story you ASKED FOR BEFORE I KILL YOU AND HAVE NEM ANALLY RAPE YOUR CORPSE.

Ouch

Actually I just finished reading the story and then refreshed this thread to see this post

Excellent story, heh

Vorago In California
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 01:51:21 AM
My net time is usually limited to every 24 hours or so, heh

So don't expect quick responses after the half hour or so I'm on

But thanks for actually writing the story for me

Skaw
posted 08-06-2002 03:36:02 AM
Undead start-ghoul rush their peasants!
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 03:38:15 AM
quote:
Skaw stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Undead start-ghoul rush their peasants!

"Can't someone else do it?"
"That's it, I'm dead."
"Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 08-06-2002 03:45:29 AM
It doesnt matter if your units do 35% damage, they wont have an workers build stuff with so you have unlimited time essentially. Then you just build up for some footmen make like 10 from 2+ barracks and deny them any chance of building
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 08-06-2002 11:03:35 AM
AWESOME!!!!

More cheese!

Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 08-06-2002 12:25:14 PM
Note: This does not work on the computer.

By the time you gang repair your altar, and get the archmage out, and next to his base in Plunder Isle, he will have 2 footmen and more making.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-06-2002 12:33:03 PM
I like Booty bay for comp matches..

Lately, I've been losing, though. I hate it when I forget part of my build order.

Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 08-06-2002 12:34:06 PM
quote:
Fizodeth was naked while typing this:
Note: This does not work on the computer.

By the time you gang repair your altar, and get the archmage out, and next to his base in Plunder Isle, he will have 2 footmen and more making.

That's because the compter does the exact same thing. EVERY TIME the computer speeed builds something. Usually its barracks. It gets it out fast, and has a few footmen waiting for its hero, so it can start the creep killing fast.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-06-2002 12:47:00 PM
Hero rushes like that don't work unless the person is a newbie.

I think everyone makes an alter first after they've played the game a little.

Altar -> farm -> barracks -> farm etc...

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-06-2002 12:50:32 PM
quote:
Reynar attempted to be funny by writing:
Hero rushes like that don't work unless the person is a newbie.

I think everyone makes an alter first after they've played the game a little.

Altar -> farm -> barracks -> farm etc...

Yeah, but very few people gang-repair their altar to make it insanely fast building

hey
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 08-06-2002 12:53:57 PM
quote:
Giantt had this to say about Cuba:
Yeah, but very few people gang-repair their altar to make it insanely fast building

Yes, which is why you can usually just let 1 peon do it and you'll get your hero out in time. If you lose, hopefully you have pumped out enough peons to 'call to arms' and just smack the hero down.

Remember, call to arms makes them footmen with less HPs, great for saving ones life =)

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-06-2002 01:08:12 PM
Uh...
Orc2win!
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 08-06-2002 01:29:55 PM
Oho! I rant!

Here's the problem with the hero rush:

Item/Build Time
---------------
Altar/60s
All Barracks/60s
Orc Burrow/50s
---------------
All Heroes/55s
Footman-Archer/20s
Ghoul/18s
Grunt/30s
Water Elemental cooldown/20s

Ok, let's say you 5 peasant assist build your altar. You're broke as hell, have pulled in no money, no farms, no barracks, and you're full on supply(5 peasants+hero=full). But, you finished your altar in 12 seconds. So you start up your archmage. 55 seconds later, he's done. Assuming no time whatsoever for clicking(You're fast. REAL fast.), you have a 67 second hero.

You send him courageously at the enemy base, alone but proud. A map like plunder isle takes(guesstimation) about 15-25 seconds to get to the other base. I'll use 20 seconds for our sake.

So(We'll try this with a human opponent first), 87 seconds, and you're in his base. But a normal build(non-orc) allows a player to build all three of his starting buildings(Altar, barracks, farm) with minimal mining requirements. Assuming he started either his barracks or his altar at the very beginning of the game, and began to pump out units at first opportunity(If we assume he's slow, or stupid, this whole argument is pointless. We're looking for a strategy that works against good players.), he'll have his hero out by 115 seconds, or a footman out in 80 seconds, another footman at 100 seconds, and yet another at 120 seconds.

At 120 seconds, you've been in his base for 33 seconds, not enough time to kill a farm, but it doesn't matter anyway because his hero was on it's way before you got to his base. You might be able to kill a footman or two before his hero pops out, but you're not going to do all that much damage. You've got two water elementals out, but you're at about(mana regen of 1 per 2 seconds, started with 285, spent 250, 33 seconds to regen, I'll round up) 52 mana, so you're not getting another one anytime soon. Meanwhile, you haven't got much going yet in your base, he just drove off your attack(Any of the three heroes could do this easily with a footman or two for help), and he should be able to out-economy you easily. If he's good, you lost the game.

This works quite the same if he is Undead. Undead almost ALWAYS build a crypt immediately, and ghouls as soon as the crypt completes(Gotta have that wood...), that's a 78 second ghoul, he now has two, and another one every 18 seconds. You can't really attack his acolytes(he can just run the one you attack around, and two ghouls will take down the water-fiends rather quickly, and he has a hero coming at 115 seconds as well, probably a Dreadlord. The water rush doesn't work.

NE can always fuck your rush my detonating a wisp on the hero and the elemental, draining the mana for the second elemental out of the hero, and dealing 150 damage to waterboy(Yes, he's a summoned unit. That doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings.). But not everyone thinks of that(What? Why would I sacrifice a wisp that's just gonna get killed anyway?). But he still has an 80/100/120 second archer, which can kite waterboy around rather nicely, and a hero at 115. In emergency, a building can always get up and spank waterboy rather harshly.

Orc. They WILL have a burrow up. That pretty much fucks the whole thing. They have a 90 second grunt(This can be hard, as the horde is so pleasantly blessed with a 20 wood shortage at game start), or a 115 second hero. One or the other will/must be delayed, unless he has a partner who likes tho share.
As soon as he gets a hero out, you're fooked.

There. I'm done. If you have any questions, complaints, or you just feel the need to yell at me, go right ahead.

[edit]I dun spel gud[/edit]

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: Inferno_Spirit ]

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 03:29:12 PM
Actually, a Human Town Hall gives you 12 supply, so while you co-op build an Altar, you could train two more Peasants. You'll have enough resources to build a Farm, even with the co-op, and the second Peasant can start gathering.
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 08-06-2002 06:06:36 PM
quote:
This one time, at Sentow camp:
Actually, a Human Town Hall gives you 12 supply, so while you co-op build an Altar, you could train two more Peasants. You'll have enough resources to build a Farm, even with the co-op, and the second Peasant can start gathering.

I wasn't sure about the supply at the time, and I notcied that it gave 12 in a game I played just a bit later. The other thing I'm curious about is exactly how much money do you burn doing co-op? I assume that fully co-oping a building will basically doublke it's cost, but I guess I'll have to test to find out.
Either way, it kind of fooks your economy.

That, and rushing is one of the most uninteresting ways to play a RTS. It's the same idea as people who use hacks. They are ruining the game before it can really begin. Why play, if they don't want to play?

Delphi Aegis
posted 08-06-2002 06:07:48 PM
It takes as much resources to co-op a building as it would to repair it. Gold only buildings only cost gold, so that's a plus..
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 08-06-2002 06:09:56 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about pies:
It takes as much resources to co-op a building as it would to repair it. Gold only buildings only cost gold, so that's a plus..

Then how much money does it cost to repair a building, exactly?

I know the ratio of gold to lumber in the cost of the building stays the same when repairing, but in order to, say, repair a 300/100 altar at 50% life, how much gold and lumber is spent?

[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: Inferno_Spirit ]

nem-x
posted 08-06-2002 06:11:09 PM
Just watch my replay and see how much resources I have left over. :P
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-06-2002 07:20:22 PM
It's a trade off, definitely. On the one hand, you get a Hero out almost immediately, but it does leave your starting resources largely drained. You can get moving faster than you'd think, but you probably won't have any rank n' file units until just before nightfall.

Although we've all pretty well established that I suck at this game, I do know that if you plan to use an Arch Mage, who can solo low level Creeps pretty easily, the tactic does give you a slight edge in the opening minutes.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: