EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Is there some trick to FFT I'm not getting?
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-17-2002 07:55:35 PM
Damn, the random battles are kicking my ass!

I've lost 2 random battles, both of which had a green dragon looking thingy, it dashed for 105!! I've got a healer, a chemist, 2 monks, an archer and Ramza, all above lvl 11. But the Chocobo's always heal any damage I've inflicted right away, and I get pwned by the dragon.

Am I missing something?!

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 07-17-2002 07:58:48 PM
The Tactics.
"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-17-2002 08:46:44 PM
Find a newbiesh aea on the map
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-17-2002 09:25:28 PM
Where are the random battles taking place?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-17-2002 09:28:53 PM
Whenever I found my ass getting kicked in random battles, I always did the time honored tradition of going someplace I've been and doing fun fun leveling up.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-17-2002 09:32:33 PM
Uh, OP, I'm sorry to accuse you but if you cheat to level, say, Ramza to 99 then every random monster you fight's going to be 99 too. And level 99 monsters are tough.

So, uh, I wouldn't recommend cheating unless you're doing it completely out the ass.

(hey, there're a lot of levels above level 11..)

Otherwise, I'm with D.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-17-2002 09:42:40 PM
quote:
The Otaku Penguin had this to say about Knight Rider:
But the Chocobo's always heal any damage I've inflicted right away, and I get pwned by the dragon.

Am I missing something?!

The first target isn't the Dragon, it's the Chocobos. Kill them, or keep them away from your target till it's dead.

Use distance attacks when you can, and use height when you can. Charge attacks can only go over a set limit of heigth change.

I tended to work my team in groups. One group will have a healer and a tank. The other will have a healer, tank, and an extra damager of some kind.

Also, to start with, give them ALL some skill as a chemist. Make sure they ALL can use PDown.

Also, what is this Dragon thing? At level 11, there's no way it can be a real Dragon in a random battle, ditto for Hydras. Knowing what it is may help.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 07-17-2002 09:49:31 PM
Two monks, eh?

I hate to say it, but there's your problem. Monks are almost as powerful as God himself (Well, not really anywhere near that, but...), but they take hits like warm butter against a hot knife.

My advice? Knights. They can wear the better armours, which, at that level with the best equipment, can get them into the range of 190-220HP. And, believe me, at this stage in the game, you need all the HP you can get.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 07-17-2002 10:09:33 PM
quote:
Fighter stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Two monks, eh?

I hate to say it, but there's your problem. Monks are almost as powerful as God himself (Well, not really anywhere near that, but...), but they take hits like warm butter against a hot knife.

My advice? Knights. They can wear the better armours, which, at that level with the best equipment, can get them into the range of 190-220HP. And, believe me, at this stage in the game, you need all the HP you can get.

I do better with monks. You just have to know how to use them.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-17-2002 10:11:24 PM
There IS a level up trick in FFT, but it's kinda lame.

Beat the snot out of all your opponets but one. Hurt that one, so it tries to run away to the far corner of the board (make sure that it can't heal itself, like a yellow Chocobo can). Then, have your characters fight each other, and heal each other. It's still practice, and still gives EP and JP. When you get tired of it, track down that last monster and kill it.

This won't work in a battle where you have a Guest, as they will kill that last one for you.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-17-2002 10:20:39 PM
quote:
From the book of Palador ChibiDragon, chapter 3, verse 16:
There IS a level up trick in FFT, but it's kinda lame.

Beat the snot out of all your opponets but one. Hurt that one, so it tries to run away to the far corner of the board (make sure that it can't heal itself, like a yellow Chocobo can). Then, have your characters fight each other, and heal each other. It's still practice, and still gives EP and JP. When you get tired of it, track down that last monster and kill it.

This won't work in a battle where you have a Guest, as they will kill that last one for you.

That is the BEST way to level up.

Remember, to get EP and JP, you have to actually affect something. Healing a comrade who has full HP won't yield anything.

You are using Monks, you say? Be sure to make good use of the Fist Arts. If you are using nothing but close-range punches, you are going to get your ass kicked. The biggest strength Monks have, is being able to wear down the enemy with attacks like Earth Slash, before they get into melee range.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Talonus
Loner
posted 07-17-2002 10:22:17 PM
Palador's suggestion is the only way to "power" onself in the game. Exp really doesn't matter at all, as only a few enemies will ever have a set level. Getting JP and using tactics is the only way to get through the game until Cid joins up. After that, the game will become beyond easy.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-17-2002 10:23:47 PM
Here's something fun.

From the beginning of a fight, have ramza use Yell. All the time. Over and over and over.

I once had ramza take 20 turns in a row before the enemy could do a thing.

Plus, it ALWAYS gives EP and JP.

Take that suggestion with a grain of salt, though. I suck at FFT. As fun as it is... gimme Shining Force over FFT any day.

Mattimeo
Was once a member
posted 07-18-2002 12:37:02 AM
If you're getting whomped in Random battles the gear offered at where you are may be too low level, or you don't have high enough gear (buy new equipment) a good way to guage this is to do a story battle and if you whallop them sever ways to sunday you're too high for the area/chapter you're in.

Of you're just not doing very good. I would reccomend getting a white mage, they are invaluable.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 07-18-2002 12:38:54 AM
Find spot where there's flat ground, one space with all adjacent spaces level to it.

Kill all enemies but one.

Position a monk with Chakra in the center space, all party members around him/her. Have all party members throw rocks at the monk, while he Chakras.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 07-18-2002 01:08:06 AM
BTW, best way to level up when everyone is approx. the same level is to just use the Basic Skill "Accumulation" over and over.

If you need to bring someone's level up and it's really low compared to others, they'll get more exp hitting things higher level (i.e. team mates) than them.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mattimeo
Was once a member
posted 07-18-2002 01:12:28 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

If you need to bring someone's level up and it's really low compared to others, they'll get more exp hitting things higher level (i.e. team mates) than them.

Rock Throw squire skill is excellent for that.

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-18-2002 03:07:09 AM
Just picked up Mistudio or whatever the hell his name is. Seems pretty cool, I gave him Leg Shot, seemed powerful.

What should I look forward too? =p

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-18-2002 10:23:55 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on The Otaku Penguin!
Just picked up Mistudio or whatever the hell his name is. Seems pretty cool, I gave him Leg Shot, seemed powerful.

What should I look forward too? =p

Make him a regular party member (when you can), you will need him for some quests in Chapter 4.

What you can look forward to is adding one or two other people to your party as the game goes on during chapters 2&3. Yes, it will take extra work to get them the skills and classes they need (they all start with only their own version of the squire class). Some of them will be worth working with, some won't.

During Chapter 4, more people will join your party. You'll know who to keep easy enough when you see their skills.

Also, look forward to guns. One class (I don't remember which one, sorry) will get the Equip Gun skill. It never hurts to have a gun user in the party, as they have great range. Plan on using Mistudio(sp?) for that, and earn him his called shot skills.

Mattimeo
Was once a member
posted 07-18-2002 11:03:13 AM
Chemist gets equip gun. Also if you really plan on using Mustadio, check enemies in fights for weapons like the Blaze gun, the only way to get the really powerful ones is to steal them.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: