EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Warcraft 3...
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-16-2002 04:11:16 PM
...worth getting even if you've never played a *Craft game?

Lord knows I don't have enough games I haven't finished... heck, I reinstalled Civ3 the other day...

I'd probably be the Humans. Advice? Comments?

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-16-2002 04:12:39 PM
I would say get it

If you've never played a RTS before (HOW!?), then play single first before touching multi

I reccommend it personally, but then I'm a Warcraft 3 nut

Deli thinks humans suck, so ignore any of his comments

Oh shi...
what
posted 07-16-2002 04:13:23 PM
Good game Todd. Right now I haven't actually wanted to play it for about 3 days Todd.

Have you played any RTS games Todd?

Mightion Defensor
posted 07-16-2002 04:17:30 PM
quote:
So quoth Vorago:
I would say get it

If you've never played a RTS before (HOW!?), then play single first before touching multi

I reccommend it personally, but then I'm a Warcraft 3 nut

Deli thinks humans suck, so ignore any of his comments

Do Civ2 and Civ3 count as RTS?

Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 07-16-2002 04:19:19 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mightion Defensor:
Do Civ2 and Civ3 count as RTS?

No, they are turn based, not real time.

Veni, vidi, vici
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 07-16-2002 04:20:38 PM
Josh says that you should get it, even if you have never played Warcraft before. His favorite race is the Undead so far.
Steven Steve
posted 07-16-2002 04:21:08 PM
I'm going to play undead
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Talonus
Loner
posted 07-16-2002 04:21:44 PM
If you like RTS games at all, I'd say get it. Blizzard has always shined at making RTS games, and they really seem to love the WC series.

The SP game is quite good, and serves its purpose well of introducing you to the races. If you really want to understand the WC universe fully, I'd actually recommend picking up the collector's edition, as some of its additions will explain the past WC games to you.

The MP is also very good. There are some inbalances between the races, but a decent player can overcome then.

On the technical side of things, the game is quite sound. I'm playing on a five year old system with little to no slowdown, even in massive battles. The netcode is excellent, so I'd doubt anyone with a 56k would have any lag.

If you've only played TBS games, I'd recommend borrowing it from someone to try it out first if possible. There's less micromanagement than most RTS games, especially compared to Starcraft, but it can still be overwhelming to someone new to the genre.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-16-2002 04:24:12 PM
WC3 is love. It's not StarCraft: BW at its peak, but its good.
hey
Gydyon
Yes, I am a lawyer. No you can't sue them for that. Shut up, or I'll have your legs broken.
posted 07-16-2002 04:46:15 PM
I'm liking it and I never played WC before. I like the story, even, although part of it seemed.....borrowed.....I will not comment further to avoid spoilage.
Gydyon
Evercrest Lawyer

Thinking about your posts
(and billing you for it) since 2001

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-16-2002 04:59:00 PM
Gyd: Blizzard RTS games are not about the story. Fuck, Blizzard games in general are not about the story or SP at all. Its all multiplayer goodness!

Might: Besides, Josh recommends it! JOSH! ( )

hey
Nith
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 06:50:42 PM
i love the horde
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 06:53:37 PM
If you have the moolah, get the collectors edition. It comes with a FUCKING HUGEASS BIG FUCKING OMFG book of concept art and stuff for all the races. VERAH SPIFFAH.
Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:13:10 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
If you have the moolah, get the collectors edition. It comes with a FUCKING HUGEASS BIG FUCKING OMFG book of concept art and stuff for all the races. VERAH SPIFFAH.

Plus the soundtrack, and a DVD, and lithographs of all four regular box covers, and a slightly bigger, cooler manual, and the box is lined with felt.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 07-16-2002 08:13:31 PM
My life for Aui-... the horde.

War 3 is one of the best games I have ever bought. I LOVE playing orcs, but then I always have...

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:18:17 PM
My life for Aiur! I mean, uh, Ner'zuhl

Roar.
Roar.
Roar.
Roar.
Roar.
(sigh) Here comes the beast again. Roar.

They came from... behind!

And I agree with Gydyon. The Human and Undead campaigns were pretty poorly executed storywise, and they also seemed awfully familiar

But the Orc campaign is shaping up nicely.
If I can just get out of the habit of building Burrows instead of Towers, dammit!

[EDIT] Oh yeah, what is Muradin Bronzebeard quoting when he does his long Sean Connery impression? Something along the lines of, "I'll tell you how to get the Undead. His guy pulls a knife, your guy pulls a gun. They send your guy to the hospital, you send their guy to the morgue. That's how you get the Undead."

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Sentow ]

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-16-2002 08:18:58 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Sentow wrote:
Plus the soundtrack, and a DVD, and lithographs of all four regular box covers, and a slightly bigger, cooler manual, and the box is lined with felt.

Holy heck, there regular box is $60... how much does this pile-o-goodness cost?

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:20:37 PM
quote:
How.... Mightion Defensor.... uughhhhhh:
Holy heck, there regular box is $60... how much does this pile-o-goodness cost?

Get ready for this.

$74.99.

Bargain!

dontauro
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:22:53 PM
I found it kinda odd to get all that extra stuff on the morning WC3 came out for only 15 extra dollars, but hell if they wanna sell all that for that much I'd be glad to take it.
"Oh no.. if Marge marries Arty then I'll never be born... cries - Homer Simpson
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-16-2002 08:23:28 PM
quote:
So quoth Sentow:
Get ready for this.

$74.99.

Bargain!

Just saw that on ebgames...

Edit: Never mind... I see it's full of cinematics.... screenshots... so... spiffy... * twitch *

I'm suddenly reminded of NWN... $60 game with a nice spiral bound manual, cloth map... and CDs delivered in the same paper envelopes driver CDs come in. How unl33t.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Mightion Defensor ]

dontauro
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:24:30 PM
On the DVD its got all the cinematics, cinematics of Starcraft and Diablo, some games, questions, pictures, etc.
"Oh no.. if Marge marries Arty then I'll never be born... cries - Homer Simpson
MorbId
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:25:28 PM
The artbook is chock full of spoilers, though.

I didn't have a problem with the storyline. What exactly is there to do with a game revolving around war?
Romance? Hah. Furion and Tyrande were bad enough.
Inner peace and philosophy? Not likely.
Saving the world? Yes, but what else?
Betrayal and manipulation? ...well...

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: MorbId ]

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 07-16-2002 08:26:18 PM
i've never touched an RTS in my entire existance.

ph33r me.

or flame me. i don't find 'em that enticing. though, i'm liable to try WC3 based soley on each and every one of my friends threatening me with certain doom if i dont get it..

Talonus
Loner
posted 07-16-2002 08:28:33 PM
WC3 is one of the few games that's actually worth putting down the money for a collector's edition. Outside of Working Designs releases I can't remember a company that has really made a collector's edition worth it. I would've bought the WC3CE for the Art of War book alone.

I still say that the punching Ghaleon doll from the Lunkar2 release is the coolest of any "collectable" game releases in the US. I love that freaking thing.

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 08:29:35 PM
Oh, yeah-yeah-yeah, I forgot about that. Several key plot twists were spoiled for me thanks to that dang book. Tread lightly!

And some of the greatest stories ever told were set to a backdrop of war, so neener

[EDIT] I forgot that about. Is it still around here somewhere?

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: Sentow ]

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 09:37:58 PM
My faviourite Part about any Blizzard game is the manual, seriously, Bliz should rent out it's manual making division to other companies. SC and WC2 have had pretty nice storylines for computer games, sure, it wasn't literature, but the purpose of a game' backstory is not to convey a message, it is drawing you into the game, and Blizzard has always done a great job of that in their RTS games (as opposed to Diablo's storyline, which was just plain retarded).
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 07-16-2002 09:53:42 PM
quote:
Sentow obviously shouldn't have said:
Tread lightly!

Side effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, water retention, painful rectalage, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, and halitosis. Quoting Warcraft 3 is not for everyone. Consult your doctor before use.

MorbId
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 10:03:45 PM
DII Expansion spoiler.

quote:
Modrakien had this to say about Robocop:
...as opposed to Diablo's storyline, which was just plain retarded.

Like how when Baal destroys the Worldstone, it lets Hell spill over into Sanctuary, but when Tyrael does it, it makes everything better?

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 10:21:58 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when MorbId wrote:
DII Expansion spoiler.

Like how when Baal destroys the Worldstone, it lets Hell spill over into Sanctuary, but when Tyrael does it, it makes everything better?

For example, it makes you go 'what the fuck did I wear off three left mouse buttons for anyway?'. And didn't Tyrael at one point say that he may not intervene directly on your behalf?

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
MorbId
Pancake
posted 07-16-2002 11:49:22 PM
I believe so. He's already something of a renegade, since most of the angels don't interfere with humans at all. But he's also an incomptetant rengade; the 'gift' of the soulstones doesn't mean much, when it turns out that they're just part of Izual and the demons' plans. And he has 25+ seconds in one of the cinemas, where he has a falming sword, and the unarmed Diablo (still in mortal form) is pinned.. and Tyrael not only fails to kill him, but loses his sword as well. Very impressive.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: