EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Was there ever a sweeter sound...
Mightion Defensor
posted 07-13-2002 03:13:43 AM
...than the sound of the relay on a 3Dfx Voodoo card activating?

It was a sound that meant I'd installed the card correctly. It was a sound that basically meant "Your mild-mannered Packard Bell computer is suddenly becoming a powerhouse."

I still remember the raw shock I felt when I first fired up GLQuake on a Packard Bell with a Pentium 133, of all things. I remember seeing the 3Dfx version of Pod running on it; the free copy I got with my Pentium Overdrive 166MMX. Talk about liquid butter. I wish I could run it again...

I remember being so amazed at 3Dfx Tomb Raider, of playing 3Dfx Whiplash for hours, and the true gem, Mechwarrior 2 3Dfx...

Think about it... even the Voodoo 2 card that replaced it (another Orchid); and the Voodoo 5, then the Geforce 2 and now the Geforce 4 I have; none of them have come close to duplicating that sheer feeling of amazement; of transcendence....

We've become jaded by fillrates, anti-aliazing, and triangle setup, folks. We'll never see that kind of wonder again.

So here's to that Righteous 3D that opened my eyes. And to the company that created it....

* salute

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: Mightion Defensor ]

Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 07-13-2002 03:19:02 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Pirotess:

It was a sound that meant I'd installed the card correctly. It was a sound that basically meant "Your mild-mannered Packard Bell computer is suddenly becoming a powerhouse."

I still remember the raw shock I felt when I first fired up GLQuake on a Packard Bell with a Pentium 133, of all things. I remember seeing the 3Dfx version of Pod running on it; the free copy I got with my Pentium Overdrive 166MMX. Talk about liquid butter. I wish I could run it again...

I remember being so amazed at 3Dfx Tomb Raider, of playing 3Dfx Whiplash for hours, and the true gem, Mechwarrior 2 3Dfx...

Think about it... even the Voodoo 2 card that replaced it (another Orchid); and the Voodoo 5, then the Geforce 2 and now the Geforce 4 I have; none of them have come close to duplicating that sheer feeling of amazement; of transcendence....

We've become jaded by fillrates, anti-aliazing, and triangle setup, folks. We'll never see that kind of wonder again.

So here's to that Righteous 3D that opened my eyes. And to the company that created it....

* salute

My guess is that the next time that the feeling will happen is when we get (good) VR.

Veni, vidi, vici
Cap'n Elethi
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt...
posted 07-13-2002 03:24:51 AM
I remember getting a Voodoo 2 and being amazed at the difference in Half-Life.
Elethi Rian, A Man Of Many Talents
Led
*kaboom*
posted 07-13-2002 03:26:02 AM
I remember being able to play halfife and shogo in the school library and no one caring.

One year later my brother got suspended by playing 4x4 Evolution

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 07-13-2002 03:54:55 AM
quote:
SuchiiMarine! impressed everyone with:
I remember being able to play halfife and shogo in the school library and no one caring.

One year later my brother got suspended by playing 4x4 Evolution

Behold the Power of Breasts.

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 07-13-2002 10:09:06 AM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Mightion Defensor wrote:

I can honestly say I haven't.

Games like Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Neverwinter Nights still make me go "Holy shit, I love this." when I play them.

My sister always urges me to skip through cutscenes on MGS2 and GTA3. But she grew up with a Playstation, not an Atari or Apple ][, so she doesn't know any better.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-13-2002 10:15:11 AM
I remember the first time I pluggedi na 3d card. Till then, I had been playing Tribes 1 without one. Sure, it ran, but was ugly. I popped in the 3d card and was like "Holy FUCK. This is nuts".

My first was a Monster 3d2.

Naota Nandaba
Don't ask me about any goddamned bannings!
posted 07-13-2002 10:16:45 AM
My first 3D card was a Diamond Stealth III S540.
Nothing amazing happens here.
Only the ordinary.
Rowyl
Pancake
posted 07-13-2002 10:25:03 AM
My first 3D card was the first chipset nVidia ever made (and it was the first 3D card that I ever saw in the stores) The Edge3D card with the NV1. It had audio too, and a place to plug in Saturn controllers!

First ever Virtua Fighter on the PC, and it looked almost identical to the arcade machine.

Eventually, when the Voodoo's came out I got one, mine never had a noticable click. I got the 6MB one from Canopus.

-Rowyl
Super Kagrama
ROFLELFOLOL!!!11!1 YUO CAN'T RAED MY POSTSSE!@!11
posted 07-13-2002 10:57:22 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Mightion Defensor:

Not really. It reminds me that my system is still slow as heck and I need to upgrade.

i shoueld joeg threw the foreast moer offeand!!11
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 07-13-2002 06:15:59 PM
We went straight from an Apple LC II to a 486 with a voodoo card...

wow.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 07-13-2002 06:21:08 PM
My first computer ever was an AMD K6-2 366 that I paid 800 bucks for It had problems playing anything 3D.

Now I sit in front of something that can play AA at the highest res with all effects and not have one bit of slowdown.

And I am playing X-Com on it.

Full circle

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: