EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Nitpick mode... ACTIVATE!
Ruvie's Alt
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
posted 07-11-2002 10:52:47 PM
Y'know what I don't get? Expressions of distance in time.

Distance and time are two completely different things, only being related when it comes to speed (Distance divided by time).

Time is measured in years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds.

Distance is measured in kilometres/miles, metres/yards, centimetres/inches.

WHY DO PEOPLE MIX THE TWO UP?!

Saying you're x kilometres away from Toronto is correct. Saying you're x minutes away from it isn't.

Just felt like ranting.

Skaw
posted 07-11-2002 10:54:35 PM
Saying your X time away from something is giving information on how much time it usually takes you to get from where you are, to where the mentioned destination is. Duh.
Lashanna
noob
posted 07-11-2002 10:54:54 PM
...You idiot....

When you're "x-minutes away from Toronto" that's used as a device to express how long it would take for you to get to Toronto at your expected rate of speed.

It's not like people are using it incorrectly, they're just not phrasing like you would like.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-11-2002 10:55:33 PM
Yeah, if you say, "I'm 5 minutes from blahblah" that is time. As in, it takes 5 minutes to get to BlahBlah
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 07-11-2002 10:55:33 PM
Saying you're about a 40 min drive from Toronto is correct. That being if the flow of traffic is good, and driving straight without stop.

I don't "do" exact Kilometres. it's easier to say that I'm a 40min drive away, instead of said klicks away.

it confuses people less.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 07-11-2002 10:56:34 PM
Saying it's 40 kilos away will make an American go into a stump
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 07-11-2002 10:57:22 PM
Ruvyen, you're banned from simple physics. FOREVER.
Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-11-2002 10:57:55 PM
Oh...my...god...
Skaw
posted 07-11-2002 10:59:21 PM
I win! You bastards!
Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-11-2002 11:00:45 PM
quote:
Skaw had this to say about Optimus Prime:
I win! You bastards!

Actually, I thought Lash's explaination rather pwned yours.

Not just because she called Ruvyen an idiot.

Really!

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 07-11-2002 11:01:00 PM
OMG YOU SOUNDED STUPID FLAME FLAME FLAME FLAME.

I just want to be popular.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

Ruvie's Alt
posted 07-11-2002 11:03:34 PM
How far away from something you are is distance, not time. How long it would take you to get somewhere is time.

That clear my viewpoint up any?

[EDIT- Now that I think about it, "length of time" is also incorrect, as length expresses distance...]

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: Fighter ]

OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-11-2002 11:04:46 PM
No. =\
..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Mr. Wilams
Pancake
posted 07-11-2002 11:07:10 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Fighter wrote:
How far away from something you are is distance, not time. How long it would take you to get somewhere is time.

Yes, until you realize TIME IS A DEFINITE (invariable) WHICH IS SOMETIMES USED TO MEASURE DISTANCE (variable). This is simple mathmatics here. Get with it.

quote:
[EDIT- Now that I think about it, "length of time" is also incorrect, as length expresses distance...]

Think length on a timeline, Tex.

Lashanna
noob
posted 07-11-2002 11:09:29 PM
quote:
Fighter thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

Not really, because they're talking about how long it would take them to get there...

Look at a Rate Chart (Time and Distance)...
Lets say It's a 3 hour trip, at a rate of 60mph. So it's 180 miles away (follow?). You drive 120 miles, and you have 60 miles to go... You are now 1 hour away from your destination at your current rate.

Stop trying to sound smart by nitpicking things people do every day.

Ruvie's Alt
posted 07-11-2002 11:13:07 PM
quote:
How.... Lashanna.... uughhhhhh:

Not really, because they're talking about how long it would take them to get there...

Look at a Rate Chart (Time and Distance)...
Lets say It's a 3 hour trip, at a rate of 60mph. So it's 180 miles away (follow?). You drive 120 miles, and you have 60 miles to go... You are now 1 hour away from your destination at your current rate.

Hmm... Good point.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 07-11-2002 11:13:56 PM
I can see someone posting a timeline on this thread and getting banned. :\
Maradon!
posted 07-12-2002 12:20:11 AM
I am equidistant from my current place of employment and the amusement park I used to work at, and yet it takes me 15 minutes to get to Sam's Club and almost a half hour to get to the amusement park. The disparity is the result of traffic considerations.

Measuring distance in terms of time doesn't make much sense, but measuring a car trip in terms of time certainly does.

When someone says they're a half hour out of town, the obvious implication is that it is a measurement of time as it pertains to the car trip.

The reason for the switch up being that the actual, physical distance is completely meaningless to anyone who isn't in a helicopter, while the time needed to get there by automobile, the almost unanimously employed means of transportation, is usefull. Often critical.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: Maradön² ]

Arttemis the Rogue
Amethyst's sex toy
posted 07-12-2002 12:35:08 AM
Technically, minutes and seconds could be used as a measure of distance as well without meaning "x minutes on the clock." Longitude and latitude are measured in degrees, and then minutes, and then seconds. So someone could indeed be "x minutes away from Toronto", even though the time it takes to get there could be more or less than x minutes.

Besides, in places like California where there's actual traffic, a measure of time is much more meaningful than saying that you're "60 miles away from Granada Hills."

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:36:45 AM
time is brocken up into minutes and sec.s thats just a human thing, time doesnt have any breaks in it, its smooth and flows along, same with distence

the nitpickyness is strong tonight

A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 07-12-2002 12:37:50 AM
TIME IS NONEXISTANT!

*Head explodes.*

Ruvie's Alt
posted 07-12-2002 12:39:41 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by The Black Mage...:
TIME IS NONEXISTANT!

*Head explodes.*

If time is nonexistant, then a) why do people measure distance in time, and b) why do people get old?

Burger
BANNED!
posted 07-12-2002 12:41:52 AM
quote:
Fighter obviously shouldn't have said:
Y'know what I don't get? Expressions of distance in time.

Distance and time are two completely different things, only being related when it comes to speed (Distance divided by time).

Time is measured in years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds.

Distance is measured in kilometres/miles, metres/yards, centimetres/inches.

WHY DO PEOPLE MIX THE TWO UP?!

Saying you're x kilometres away from Toronto is correct. Saying you're x minutes away from it isn't.

Just felt like ranting.

Ummm, distances are measured in hours/minutes/seconds. ever heard of a degree of arc? at the equator, there are 50 minutes in a degree of arc, and each minute is exactly one nautical mile. The two are synonimous, 1 mile=1 minute of arc at the equator, and a mile is a measurement of distance. A minute is also a defined distance.

you were wrong.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 07-12-2002 12:44:32 AM
You don't say 'boston is 20 degrees away' unless you are a moron.
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 07-12-2002 12:44:44 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Fighter was all like:
If time is nonexistant, then a) why do people measure distance in time, and b) why do people get old?
Tell you what, you define to me what, 'Time' means, and prove it exists.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: The Black Mage... ]

G.S. Waisztarroz
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:45:35 AM
quote:
The_Mac had this to say about Pirotess:

Ummm, distances are measured in hours/minutes/seconds. ever heard of a degree of arc? at the equator, there are 50 minutes in a degree of arc, and each minute is exactly one nautical mile. The two are synonimous, 1 mile=1 minute of arc at the equator, and a mile is a measurement of distance. A minute is also a defined distance.

you were wrong.

It's only defined for Earth in that sense, though, so its relativeness makes it a poor candidate for use in distance.

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:49:40 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Fighter wrote:

a, it makes it seem faster, and b) cause of melcilar break down, toxins and genes.

A particularly crafty sea lion is befuddling the Army Corps of Engineers, who have come to believe the 1,000-pound mammal is either from hell -- or from Harvard.
Lashanna
noob
posted 07-12-2002 12:53:47 AM
...You all are dumb... Time exists, if we didn't have minutes and seconds, there would still be time...

If we didn't have feet or inches (or centimeters or meters), we'd still have distance.

And people do grow old because of those things, as they happen over TIME...

Argh... I hate armchair physicists...
*smacks Daemon*

Burger
BANNED!
posted 07-12-2002 12:54:44 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mr. Barrimas stammered:
It's only defined for Earth in that sense, though, so its relativeness makes it a poor candidate for use in distance.

well, every other method of measurement i know of is based off of the earth/natural phenomena, so why not have this as well (with the exception of pascals, i forget how they relate...)

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

G.S. Waisztarroz
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:55:45 AM
Distance isn't really something that exists if you want to look at everything in more of a sense that it's a definition we put on things to make it easier. Stuff just happens without us putting a label on it, you know?
Maradon!
posted 07-12-2002 12:56:18 AM
Time is marked by the weak and strong nuclear forces, two of the four primal forces of the universe (the other two being gravity and electromagnetism).

Entropy and creation, essentially.

G.S. Waisztarroz
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:57:41 AM
quote:
The_Mac impressed everyone with:
well, every other method of measurement i know of is based off of the earth/natural phenomena, so why not have this as well (with the exception of pascals, i forget how they relate...)

You just missed my point. A mile is a mile no matter where you are. It's always 5,280 feet. A minute varies based on what planet (if any) you are on. A minute on Jupiter is a great deal larger than a minute on Earth.

Lashanna
noob
posted 07-12-2002 12:57:53 AM
Maradon, I'm fairly certain that made a whole lot less sense than you think it did.
G.S. Waisztarroz
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 01:00:09 AM
quote:
Lashanna enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Maradon, I'm fairly certain that made a whole lot less sense than you think it did.

It made sense to me. Time is somewhat of a linear approach to something that happens everywhere. You put everything on one scale of time when it really doesn't belong on something like that.

In other words, putting everything on a timeline is just to make it easier to understand.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: Mr. Barrimas ]

Death of Rats
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 01:00:57 AM
quote:
How.... Lashanna.... uughhhhhh:
...You all are dumb... Time exists, if we didn't have minutes and seconds, there would still be time...

If we didn't have feet or inches (or centimeters or meters), we'd still have distance.

And people do grow old because of those things, as they happen over TIME...

Argh... I hate armchair physicists...
*smacks Daemon*

i never said that i agreed that time didnt exhist, i was just anwser his question

Maradon!
posted 07-12-2002 01:06:00 AM
quote:
So quoth Lashanna:

Only if you don't know anything about the four base forces of the universe

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 07-12-2002 01:58:42 AM
Go lash, go lash
Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 02:12:42 AM
Allright, Maradon. If you like time so much, Describe what time would "look like" if you could draw it.

And if you give me a timeline, I shall drive out to your Sam's club tomorrow and beat you with a stick.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
MadCat the 2nd
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 06:17:07 AM
Hey Ruvyen?

Think about this for a while:

I always lie. In fact, I'm lying right now.

with any luck his head will explode

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-12-2002 06:49:25 AM
Absolute distance is the measure of precise distance. And if we were three dimensional creatures, that's all we'd need. Unfortunately, we're four dimensional creatures. Three spatial dimensions and time. For how long. We live our lives, organize memories, and control our bodies, movements, actions, etc by mental frames of temporal reference.

Therefore, it's only natural that we gauge things by time rather than distance. I can walk a mile in X minutes, but I can run it in Y, and get there on my bike in Z. Same distance, different speeds. Speed is, in fact, simple a measure of how long it takes to get somewhere.

How far? twenty minutes. How long to get here? twenty minutes. Distance in miles between normal human thinking and Fighter's thinking? Infinite.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: