EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dreamcast?
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 07-11-2002 10:26:14 AM
I was thinking to myself on my way to work... why did the Dreamcast fail?

It was a pretty nice platform, IMO. It had a very nice selection of games (It was THE platform for great fighting game. SFA3, MvC, MvC2, and Soul Caliber all PWNED.), it had very impressive graphics, and was a pretty solid platform, IMO. I had very few problems with it.

At most, the controllers weren't as good. They weren't as unweildy as an X-box controller, which is one reason I don't beleive that a controller alone could cause a platform to fail.

Anyone have any more specifics as to why the Dreamcast would have failed, even though it had so much going for it?

New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 07-11-2002 10:27:45 AM
Because at the time sony owned the market in platforms?
What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-11-2002 10:28:14 AM
It fell most likely because Sega had a bad rep after the Saturn, and Sega also couldn't "push" it as well as say, Sony pushed the PS/PS2.

But, its all that much better now -- Sega games on ALL systems

Alaan
posted 07-11-2002 10:30:02 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Punky Brewster:

But, its all that much better now -- Sega games on ALL systems

They always did do better with games than systems.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 07-11-2002 10:32:14 AM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about Captain Planet:
They always did do better with games than systems.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Khyron
posted 07-11-2002 10:33:34 AM
I dunno. I was playing around with my DC last night, they did DAMN WELL with that system...
Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 07-11-2002 10:35:57 AM
I think it was the lack of market for 2D fighters.

Because they kind of suck to play alone. I'd rather go to an arcade and play Stree Fighter 9/4/Super X9 Ultra! or Tekken Tag. :\

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 07-11-2002 10:36:43 AM
i love my dreamcast, games are cheap as hell second hand from EB, babagges, and blockbuster.
On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 07-11-2002 10:40:48 AM
It failed because no one would make processors for the system itself.
"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Khyron
posted 07-11-2002 10:44:53 AM
quote:
Blind Swordsman attempted to be funny by writing:
i love my dreamcast, games are cheap as hell second hand from EB, babagges, and blockbuster.

I love mine too. I honestly beleive, if SC had been released for PS2 and DC at the same time, the DC one would have pwned the PS2 one in terms of graphics alone.

Not only that, Grandia 2, I own it on DC and I played it on my PS2, the graphics on it are better on the DC.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-11-2002 11:10:46 AM
Oh, dont get me wrong, the DC was VERY well made. I for one loves the controller too. And having the controller based memory card slot is nice, IMO

But...its beneficial that sega is no more, since we can play their games on any system that they put em out on, and not have to buy a sega system (though i would buy a sega system again if they made another

Fal

Khyron
posted 07-11-2002 11:15:31 AM
One other thing I loved about it was the memory cards often had minigames themselves Just not enough games took advantage of that =/
Maradon!
posted 07-11-2002 11:26:45 AM
I was always of the mind that it failed because Sega failed. Despite being a worthwhile system, in competition with the PS2, Sega couldn't turn enough profits to keep them in the black, particularly after thier Saturn losses.
Razor
posted 07-11-2002 11:32:12 AM
I agree w/ maradon for one.

It had one hell of an system, if used for applications other than what sega had in mind, it could have blown ayay the fastest chip in computers.

I wish I still had my emulator, but it just crashed too much. I had a DC for about a week and I had to give it up to another because I needed the money./me bangs head on wall

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Khyron
posted 07-11-2002 11:32:17 AM
That's probably it just there Maradon. It's a damn shame, too. The system is still one of my favorites. I like it more than the PS2... if only the PS2 didn't have so many good games for it =/
Maradon!
posted 07-11-2002 11:34:38 AM
quote:
Khyron attempted to be funny by writing:
That's probably it just there Maradon. It's a damn shame, too. The system is still one of my favorites. I like it more than the PS2... if only the PS2 didn't have so many good games for it =/

At the low low low prices it's selling at, the system is still a damn fine buy, so long as you aren't want for new releases.

It would be ironic if the system's sales increased after it's demise

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-11-2002 11:45:21 AM
Dreamcast is also more powerful than the PS2.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Khyron
posted 07-11-2002 11:49:18 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Densetsu!
Dreamcast is also more powerful than the PS2.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I can agree. While I hate the kiddy nature of Sonic Adventure, that game has some of the best graphics out there.

Plus, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 is MUCH better on DC than PS2

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 07-11-2002 11:53:58 AM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Robocop:
I can agree. While I hate the kiddy nature of Sonic Adventure, that game has some of the best graphics out there.

IF I remember right, The GameCube is the only system that rivals the Dreamcast's power. X-Box comes in close, though.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 07-11-2002 12:50:16 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about pies:
IF I remember right, The GameCube is the only system that rivals the Dreamcast's power. X-Box comes in close, though.

You remember wrong

X-Box > Dreamcast > PS2 ~= Gamecube

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: Maradön² ]

Motiak
Pancake
posted 07-11-2002 12:51:04 PM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Tron:
[QUOTE]Khyron had this to say about Robocop:
[qb]I can agree. While I hate the kiddy nature of Sonic Adventure, that game has some of the best graphics out there.

IF I remember right, The GameCube is the only system that rivals the Dreamcast's power. X-Box comes in close, though.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Considering the Xbox is more powerful than the GC I'm not understanding this post.

go to Cicinimo's webpage www.artpad.org
"Bear with me while I speak, and after I have spoken, mock on." -Job 21:3
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 07-11-2002 01:36:57 PM
quote:
Motiak's account was hax0red to write:
Considering the Xbox is more powerful than the GC I'm not understanding this post.

Correction, to both you and Maradon. XBox is more powerful in raw processing power only. I lacks comparable memory management or graphics prosessing. Both of which are on par with the PS2 model, which is the weakest of the next Gen systems in capabilities.

GameCube lacks the sheer raw power of the XBox, (By a very narrow margin mind you) but has the superior memory management, and compression/video/sound capabilities of any of the next gens. XBox cannot handle the compression used by NGC's chipset, which is a superior model, and both PS2 and XBox attempted to coporate D5.1 sound in thier systems, but lacked the power to pull it off to full effect outside of movie playback. PS2 has the worst memory management possible in any system in the nex gen arena, and it's entire base internal model and chipsets are the PSOne models. Modified slightly.

In capabilities, the GameCube is the superior system architechture. Power isn't everything, escpecially if it is held back by other failings in the architechture. Microsoft had a great time with wangwaving thier big numbers, but behind the numbers the failed to admit where the system falls behind. It's not a bad system, by far, but it's still the weaker of the three. PS2 being the worst, mostly from being pushed too soon to gain a stranglehold. GameCubes only shortcoming in comparison to the others is its proprietary DVD format, while typically more than enough, is still smaller in comparison to the others. This means swamping is still possible for future games that are rather large. Really this doesn't bother me all that much though.

The Dreamcasts architechture was superior to the PS2, and almost rivaled the XBox. Sega lacked support, and Sony dominated the market. There was also a chip shortage in the market for DC, so Sega had to abandon ship or go completely under.

My LAUNCHCast Station
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 07-11-2002 01:50:54 PM
I've got a dreamcast, I love it. PSonline rocks.

And the PS2 may be the weakest of the big 3, but damn, it's got the games and controllers.

Now, if you could play NES, SNES and N64 games on the cube... =p

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: The Otaku Penguin ]

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
Maradon!
posted 07-11-2002 02:42:15 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Robocop:
Correction, to both you and Maradon. XBox is more powerful in raw processing power only. I lacks comparable memory management or graphics prosessing. Both of which are on par with the PS2 model, which is the weakest of the next Gen systems in capabilities.

Your opinion is noted.

As is it's sharp contrast with every reliable source of information on consoles.

and your past history of being a nintendo fanboi

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: Maradön² ]

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 07-11-2002 02:57:15 PM
quote:
How.... Maradön².... uughhhhhh:
Your opinion is noted.

As is it's sharp contrast with every reliable source of information on consoles.

and your past history of being a nintendo fanboi

Actually Maradon, I prefer the selection on PS2. I love my NGC, but it is still too new with too little a library to be top notch.

And it's not in contrast to reliable sources either. In fact, Microsoft was recently forced to release actuall working condition statistics to back up thier functionality, and failed. If I can find the actuall articles I will post them.

And even though I prefer my PS2 for its library, it doesn't change the fact it is the weakest of all the next gens, and that it DOES in fact run off the original and outdated PS architechture.

Sorry, but factually, the NGC is the functionally superior console. That doesn't make it the best system, it just makes it the best in functionaly and performance. Other systems can still achieve better standing based on what and how much is released on them.

Also discredited by your inate hatred of Nintendo.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Khyron
posted 07-11-2002 03:04:13 PM
Actual has only one 'l'.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 07-11-2002 03:07:25 PM
Factor 5 - MusyX Soundtools OnBoard Memory Set to lessen CPU load
nVidia/NOA - Proprietary Graphics Chip format, with specialized OnBoard Memory Set to lessen CPU load and compression/decompression capabilities.
IBM Gekko - Proprietary Processesor, which by the way out clocks MS XBox's 700Mhz Chipset eventhough it's only listed as a 400Mhz chipset.
OnBoard+Bipass Memory Chipset to offload CPU load.

DPL
DPLII Sound Formats
While not superior to DD5.1, it is equateable, and extraordinary.

Numbers don't mean everything, management is superior as long as some of the numbers are there.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-11-2002 05:59:44 PM
I love my DC. Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia look awesome on it. It's sad that it sank, but then again I'm glad because now I can get games cheap and build my library.

I am definitely getting a GC, too. Zelda comes in February

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-11-2002 06:18:48 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Duck Tales:
I love my DC. Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia look awesome on it. It's sad that it sank, but then again I'm glad because now I can get games cheap and build my library.

I am definitely getting a GC, too. Zelda comes in February

Zelda is the reason i bought a gamecube

Khyron
posted 07-12-2002 10:27:24 AM
I drug my DC out last night.

I still say Sonic Adventure is a pretty fun game. Damn good graphics too.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-12-2002 10:28:17 AM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Cuba:
I drug my DC out last night.

I still say Sonic Adventure is a pretty fun game. Damn good graphics too.

Sounds like a good idea for this weekend. Soul Calibur is still one of my fave fighters ever.

Khyron
posted 07-12-2002 10:29:30 AM
Definitely. SC > All.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-12-2002 10:33:18 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Khyron was all like:
Definitely. SC > All.

Yep. First game I bought for the dreamcast, and the big reason I dont sell my dreamcast

Khyron
posted 07-12-2002 10:36:45 AM
I've been trying to find a copy of that new Ecco game. That was a damn fun game too.

I was thinking perhaps trying PSO, but I don't think I want to sign up for a subscription service =/

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-12-2002 12:10:11 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about (_|_):
I've been trying to find a copy of that new Ecco game. That was a damn fun game too.

I was thinking perhaps trying PSO, but I don't think I want to sign up for a subscription service =/

PSO was free when I bought it...costs money now?

Khyron
posted 07-12-2002 12:14:39 PM
It's not a subscription like EQ?

HOT DAMN I'M BUYING THAT TODAY!

Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 07-12-2002 12:17:27 PM
I'm not sure about the subscription thing, but I do know that Dreamcast PSO is rampant with hackers and cheaters. That's one of the reasons that it will not be allowed to share the same servers with the GC and Xbox versions when they are released.

Make sure you get Ver. 2 btw.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Soltari Tungus
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:45:00 PM
Dude! Saturn was awesome! I've owned every Sega system except Sega CD, and to be honest, I prefer my Genesis or saturn to a PS2 or an X Box. I mean, just remember back to playing games like X-men 2, Slaughterhouse, Sonic 3 flying around with Tails for the first time, the Wonderboy series kicks, Phantasy Star 4 is way better than FF10, and do I even need to mention Shining Force or Streets of Rage?
You would do well to fear a dragon's wrath. You would do better to fear a woman's.
Soltari Tungus
Pancake
posted 07-12-2002 12:48:20 PM
As far as PSO goes, ver. 1.0 is free. 2.0 is not. Unless you wanna be beating the game at level 18, don't pick up anything dropped in town basically. It's all a bunch of super-MAGs and Spread Needle+50's.
You would do well to fear a dragon's wrath. You would do better to fear a woman's.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 07-12-2002 01:43:43 PM
quote:
Khyron's fortune cookie read:

http://www.redoctane.com

This is the service I use, since I have an NGC, XBox, PS, PS2, and Dreamcast.

My LAUNCHCast Station
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: