EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Diablo
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-10-2002 07:45:44 AM
I'm just getting around to trying out this game, and I must say it's a rather nifty little piece of software. I regret not trying it out sooner, but I never thought it was quite my type of game.

I made a rogue and she kicks ass with her bow. I tried giving her a sword and buckler for flavor, and it sucked, so I gave her her bow back. Had I known that, she would have been Jania rather than Ainanta.

Anyway, it's a pretty good game. I think I'll get Diablo 2 after I finish this one for sure.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-10-2002 07:50:11 AM
Diablo was awesome.

Diablo 2 was ass.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction was/is great, even if not as good as D1 in it's time.

hey
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-10-2002 08:12:41 AM
Diablo 2 was far from ass
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-10-2002 08:13:26 AM
Comparing D2 to D1 is like trying to explain to a high school student that shakespeare is good. IT was good for its day, but the new stuff just sucks.
(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 07-10-2002 08:15:29 AM
I enjoyed all of 'em. The first game was very sweet. We all loved hackin' that one up, with our uber PKK chars, and then being PK'ed by a PKKK, but no worries, the PKKKK guild has yer back.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-10-2002 08:15:43 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Diablo 2 was far from ass

The one single reason that Diablo 2 sold any major amount of copies at all was that it's name was "Diablo II" and that the maker was Blizzard.

If some noname company had made some noname game, it wouldn't have sold a copy.

hey
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 07-10-2002 08:23:32 AM
quote:
Giantt had this to say about Duck Tales:
The one single reason that Diablo 2 sold any major amount of copies at all was that it's name was "Diablo II" and that the maker was Blizzard.

How many people(Teenage Girls) would see Titanic 2(Leanardo Decaprio)

It would be a hit, but it would suck

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-10-2002 08:24:07 AM
quote:
Giantt had this to say about John Romero:

2 games that were similar come to mind. Nox and Darkstone. Nox by westwood was a fairly decent seller, as was darkstone. Both also great games.

And no, Diablo 2 was an excellent game also. How was it not nearly as good as Diablo? Sure, Ill agree that Diablo was better -- sequels are almost always not as good as the original.

But, from what I saw in D2, they took pretty much everything that made Diablo 1 fun, added a whole helluva lot more to the game. The run/walk thing and the non-hex based combat was VERY VERY VERY helpful, and added QUITE a bit to the game.

Sure, Diablo 2 sold well because it was Diablo 2 and because it was made by Blizzard. But had some other company made both Diablo and Diablo 2, it likely would have sold just as well. Ive yet to see a crap Blizzard game anyway, but thats beyond the point here.l

Im not saying Diablo 2 was a good game because it sold alot of copies, either, but because it was a good game

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Falaanla Marr ]

Il Buono
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
posted 07-10-2002 08:25:50 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Ive yet to see a crap Blizzard game anyway, but thats beyond the point here.

StarCraft.

"Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-10-2002 08:27:25 AM
quote:
D©'s account was hax0red to write:
StarCraft.

Troll?

Il Buono
posted 07-10-2002 08:28:31 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Falaanla Marr!
Troll?

Playful jab.

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-10-2002 08:29:30 AM
Stut Up D, Starcraft is one of the few non-mmorpgs that actually has a healthy fan-base after being released four years ago.

The only crappy blizzard game got canned by davidson before they released it because they felt it sucked and didnt want to doa 2d adventure game

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 07-10-2002 08:30:11 AM
I loved StarCraft.
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-10-2002 08:32:14 AM
I still play starcraft daily

edit: And im sorry, but MMORPG's cant have a healthy fanbase.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Elvish Crack Piper ]

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 07-10-2002 08:38:40 AM
Don't tell him to shut up because your opinion differs from his
Il Buono
posted 07-10-2002 08:39:31 AM
quote:
From the book of Elvish Crack Piper, chapter 3, verse 16:
Stut Up D, Starcraft is one of the few non-mmorpgs that actually has a healthy fan-base after being released four years ago.

The only crappy blizzard game got canned by davidson before they released it because they felt it sucked and didnt want to doa 2d adventure game

Hit a nerve?

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-10-2002 08:39:44 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about Cuba:

You obviously didnt sense his sarcasm.

And MMORPGs have a healthy fanbase just like any other game does. Just cause its an MMOG doesnt mean anything

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 07-10-2002 08:44:28 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr's account was hax0red to write:

You obviously didnt sense his sarcasm.

And MMORPGs have a healthy fanbase just like any other game does. Just cause its an MMOG doesnt mean anything

I didnt say that MMORPGS didnt have a thriving fanbase, just that their wasn't a healthy fanbase.

Not pointing any names to people here, but the only thing my sister doesnt anymore is eat sleep and play EQ

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-10-2002 08:47:16 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Sure, Diablo 2 sold well because it was Diablo 2 and because it was made by Blizzard. But had some other company made both Diablo and Diablo 2, it likely would have sold just as well. Ive yet to see a crap Blizzard game anyway, but thats beyond the point here.

I agree. However, what I said wasn't that Diablo 1 was a mediocre game like Diablo 2. What I'm saying is that if Diablo 2, by itself, had been made by another noname company and named something else, it wouldn't have sold ANYWHERE near what it did. It'd have sold a downright mediocre amount of copies.

Diablo definitely isn't story driven, that much we must be able to agree to. So what is it really driven by? Character development. You play to enhance your character, wether through items or levels.

Diablo 1 was good at this. Through the 50 levels you could advance, you really gained power by virtue of gaining levels and while it was hard, it wasn't virtually impossible, because you had properly leveled mobs at your disposal that were fairly easy to get to. The great uniques were really good and while not extremely rare á la Grandfather or Windforce in D2X they weren't exactly easy to obtain. They weren't as good either, obviously, but that doesn't really matter. This gives you something to strive for; you know the stats of that unique and you want it.

Fast forward to Diablo 2 with another godawful, linear storyline. Uniques are worthless. You have nothing to strive for because everything is determined by chance: the best items are Rare (which are random). There were no good items set in stone, it was all random. Character advancement was hard due to lacking sufficiently leveled mobs (Diablo at 90 or 95 was the highest, and clearing to him is tough). It was extremely few people that ever reached level 99 in D2C.

Fortunately, Blizzard aren't dumb. Uniques are now the best items in the games and properly leveled mobs have been placed readily available. It takes a long ass time to get 99 still, but at least you can see the advancement even if you're soloing (impossible in D2C).

Oh yeah, neither Nox nor Darkstone ever sold any real amount of copies and they have almost no fanbase today, unlike D2X or StarCraft.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Giantt ]

hey
Aaron (the good one)
posted 07-10-2002 11:13:01 AM
No one pay attention to the avg of 30000+ playing D2, and the another 30000+ playing Starcraft.

Two days ago at 2 AM there was 114000 users online on Bnet EAST.

Those 30000 estimates are probably low

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 07-10-2002 11:17:14 AM
The Dark Passage thingie on level 2 is where I solve the water thing, right?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mod
Pancake
posted 07-10-2002 12:15:54 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Lyinar Ka`Bael wrote:
The Dark Passage thingie on level 2 is where I solve the water thing, right?

Yes, just clear the place out.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 07-10-2002 12:32:35 PM
quote:
Delidgamond obviously shouldn't have said:
No one pay attention to the avg of 30000+ playing D2, and the another 30000+ playing Starcraft.

Two days ago at 2 AM there was 114000 users online on Bnet EAST.

Those 30000 estimates are probably low

Two days before Warcraft III was released, Bnet usually maintained about a 100000 players online level. 95% of these people were playing Brood War or Diablo 2.

Tell me how many other games even GET that many players, let alone several years after release. People may BUY a game because of the company name, but they don't keep playing because of it.

I'm not sure what's happened to Bnet populations since the Warcraft III release, but it's pretty safe to say they are up.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-10-2002 12:41:52 PM
I'm sure Blizzard just has 50,000 or so computers in their offices that all log on to Battle.net and that just sit around in games doing nothing so we all THINK everyone likes Starcraft

Yeah, that's obviously it!

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 07-10-2002 12:48:57 PM
As of now, 1pm eastern, on a wednesday, there are 200,000 people on B.net
Dordaur
Pancake
posted 07-10-2002 12:58:24 PM
D1 rocks, D2C is OK, and D2X is the best of the three. If they're still there you can have all of my D2c/D2x accounts. Just message me or whatever.
Stuff.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 07-10-2002 04:02:12 PM
The one thing that D2/D2X is missing from Diablo (other than my favorite spells) is the random quests.

In D2, the quests are the same EVERY TIME. They needed to give each chapter two or three quests that *might* turn up as you play through. (The Countess from Chapter 1 would have been good for this.)

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 07-10-2002 04:22:10 PM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon obviously shouldn't have said:
The one thing that D2/D2X is missing from Diablo (other than my favorite spells) is the random quests.

In D2, the quests are the same EVERY TIME. They needed to give each chapter two or three quests that *might* turn up as you play through. (The Countess from Chapter 1 would have been good for this.)

Maybe, but also in D1, there werent many quests at all, period. Now in D2 there are more quests overall (21 in D2C), with some of them being optional.

So you get more quests at the cost of some of them not being random

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 07-10-2002 09:03:16 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr said this about your mom:
Maybe, but also in D1, there werent many quests at all, period. Now in D2 there are more quests overall (21 in D2C), with some of them being optional.

So you get more quests at the cost of some of them not being random

So more linearity(?) = Good. MAKES SENSE ALRIGHT.

Not. Random quests were pretty cool, at least then the game wasn't 100% linear like Diablo 2 Classic.

I also kinda liked the way you could customize in D1, but I guess D2C/X makes more sense with the classes :/

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Giantt ]

hey
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: