EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Why am I drawn to doomed public raids?
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-26-2002 12:20:22 AM
A week after my first tangle with Naggy I'm asked to come on a Vox raid. Only 35 or so people this time (as opposed to the 50+ on the Naggy raid). The trip to the Vox prep area went fairly smoothly. Even when the main puller got pushed into one of the pits by an icy terror and we took on the non-dragon contents of Vox's lair all at once we only suffered three deaths (including the puller, who had run back to Permafrost to get his corpse summoned and rezzed). It took us a while, but we were finally ready to take on Vox herself. The first half of the raiding party ran on towards her lair so they could establish aggro and the 2nd half could follow shortly after.

Unfortunately, most of the first half of the raid party didn't know that you had to "open" the rock to reach Vox's lair. They ran straight into the pit where most of them died, some where able to camp out. The rest of us were not informed of this turn of events until we ran into Vox's room. When I noticed there were only half a dozen melees in there on her and both the primary and backup tanks absent, I realized what happened.

Still, the meager attempt on Vox's life brought her down to 70% health. Odds are if everyone knew where the hell they were going we could have beaten her. I even managed to shrug off almost all Dragon Roars and the ones that did land didn't last more than a couple seconds. Naggy had me running half the time I was in his lair. But, eventually she dispelled all my resist buffs and I succumbed to her breath attacks.

Still, like the Naggy raid, I managed to come away with more exp than I started so the whole thing wasn't a total loss. Before I logged out some people dissatisfied with how the raid leader handled things were gathering people from the previous attempt and fresh faces from KC and the Dreadlands to try again. I wonder how they did...

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-26-2002 04:55:18 AM
What is it with people trying to come up with Dragon strategies involving "waves"?

All that is accomplished by sending your troops in waves is killing them. To a dragon, few people at a time means she can kill them easier, you HAVE to send the whole force at once.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Jalal d'Varr
Still a gnome!
posted 06-26-2002 07:32:48 AM
Public Vox raids are doomed to fail because the amount of organization skill it takes to make one is completely fucked up. THEN you add in the moron factor.

I tried once. We had 6 full groups of pretty balanced classes, everyone knew what to do, and hey, we could win this. Unfortunately, some fucknut forgot to camp, which resulted in Vox charging at us the moment we opened the rock door, killing nearly all the healers with her breath. I think we got her to 35-40%.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 06-26-2002 09:00:17 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Densetsu:
What is it with people trying to come up with Dragon strategies involving "waves"?

All that is accomplished by sending your troops in waves is killing them. To a dragon, few people at a time means she can kill them easier, you HAVE to send the whole force at once.

Link Death, smart guy.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 06-26-2002 09:15:08 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
The first half of the raiding party ran on towards her lair so they could establish aggro and the 2nd half could follow shortly after.

You cannot use the "waves" tactic on a mob that CH's. Everyone has to run in at once and start pounding the dragon. Sending in one wave will just do nothing but get some folks killed because the fight lasted longer.

I know you probably wernt the leader of the raid...it's just frustrating for me to see people still doing stuff that way I guess.

Last Vox raid I went to (to help buff people), they had a 3 wave attack planned. I yelled at them until they were convinced to all rush her at once, she was dead in ~30 seconds.

As for the link death comment, if your connection cannot handle 50 people on a monster without going LD:

1) quit raids, you'll never be of any use
2) get a connection that isn't on AoL using a winmodem.

That's why top guilds specifically require non-winmodem connections.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 06-26-2002 09:22:36 AM
Non-winmodem?
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 06-26-2002 09:33:52 AM
Vox is a complete bitch anyway. I ranted to Reynar about it last time I was on a public vox raid..
Lalian Viajante
Pancake
posted 06-26-2002 10:58:08 AM
Friends don't let friends go on public raids.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-26-2002 12:45:07 PM
I dunno, maybe I should take Bajah up on his offer to try and get me into Illumin Cathari. But given their guild roster I dunno if they'll be doing any old-world dragon raids anytime soon.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 06-26-2002 12:56:59 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Robocop:
I dunno, maybe I should take Bajah up on his offer to try and get me into Illumin Cathari. But given their guild roster I dunno if they'll be doing any old-world dragon raids anytime soon.

They to low or to high?

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: