EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What kind of weapon do you prefer for your characters?
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 05-31-2002 01:19:50 AM
I prefer staves, bladed staves particularly, the character I always RP uses a twin-bladed staff almost all the time, I guess I just like how they work/look.

How about all of you?

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
King Parcelan
Chicken of the Sea
posted 05-31-2002 01:21:49 AM
Dual weapons, yo. I usually go for the twin axes feel. If not that, then a greataxe. I'm an axe man.

Either that, or something with bludgeoning power. Twin maces! HYA!

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 05-31-2002 01:22:42 AM
I like swords.

And spears, for some reason. Hell, I'd make a Shaman just to have a good excuse to run around with a spear all the time

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-31-2002 01:24:52 AM
something elegant about a staff, I think. break it in two and you have two clubs, keep it as one staff and you have a poker, a double-ended cudgel, something to point at and not look like a freak, something to lean on, something to balance with, and something you can fill up with all sorts of gimmicks.

if not that, then go spinning-whirling combat style like a dervish on some bad smack and use two scimitars. Whirling blades of dancing death.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

OtakuPenguin
posted 05-31-2002 01:26:33 AM
Yeah, I like the staff, probably mostly because it's my weapon IRL, but there's just something cool about a guy kicking your ass with a giant stick =p

Also, Scimitars are cool too, Esear has the Sci-Fi equivelant, a Vibroblade Scimitar =p

Cadga
Quite Insane
posted 05-31-2002 01:27:20 AM
daggers always

every one of my chars has some elegant dagger

Burned has his Jeweled ritual dagger

Kagera has her twin gold hilted daggers

Vonselv has his rather odd dagger that resembles a bird

Professional Sinner/Heretic
My mindless dribble
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 05-31-2002 01:30:13 AM
Depends on the character, really. A good, all-around weapon for pretty much all my characters is the rapier, though. Classy, can see a mage wielding it, and easily enchantable. Failing that, a pair of long knives or even an athame that's been modified for battle would work.

As in real life, my characters don't work well with giant swords and axes. They'd cut their arms off.

My first and foremost weapon, however, is magic. Yes, I consider it a weapon. Just of a different sort. Much, MUCH more my style. I don't think I've EVER had a character that was unable to use magic, even in some small way. I'm just.. inept without it.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-31-2002 01:34:02 AM
For good characters, usually sword/shield.

For evil ones, usually dual-weilded swords or one massive broadsword.

Black
The Outlaw Torn
posted 05-31-2002 01:34:11 AM
Fists.

Always have em, and you'll have more control over them and any weapon, ever.

Time was never on my side.
So on I wait my whole lifetime.

OtakuPenguin
posted 05-31-2002 01:34:42 AM
How about we also discuss character types, not to hijack, but just something extra to add to your post:

I usually make characters like Aoshi or Magneto...good guys BUT bad guys at the same time, quiet and reserved, but ready to kick some ass.

My primary char (Esear) is the one to sit under a tree in the shade meditating while everyone else argues the issue, only to say a couple things quietly and shut everyone else and solve the problem =p

And often, he's the one you find walking down the road, and when bandits start to tease him, he does nothing, but at the last second unleashes hell on them, ya know, the kind of guy to hide his power (Like Aoshi, I think my favourite anime character of all time is Aoshi, I love that character type =p)

LeMiere
posted 05-31-2002 01:37:22 AM
Hmm... How to put this.

I made a samurai character that used a shirasaya, once. He was nifty, but then I got bored.

LeMiere used a bastard sword and a dirk. Just very basic.

Cross used a two handed sword.

Kefaelizh used a massive sword that I used to call the "Gaele." And a flute.

LeMiere (in his current incarnation) uses a custom katana. The tsuka is made of bone.

I made this picture of this little boy, I can't remember his name.. he used a staff. It was cute.. Leeana got the staff when I was bored of the little boy.

Llan uses a straight edge sabre.

Lessley used a pistol.

Aaaand.. I think that's it.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 05-31-2002 01:42:02 AM
quote:
How.... The Otaku Penguin.... uughhhhhh:
How about we also discuss character types, not to hijack, but just something extra to add to your post:

The original background story I made about khyron was pretty simple.

Twins separated by birth. One raised as the son of a great king, the other brought up by a cult, deep in the wilderness.

They both eventually became the antithesis of each other. Khyron, paladin, white armor, sword and shield, healing powers and fighting ability.

Jared, dark knight (shadowknight in EQ terms), black armor, single broadsword, with destructive powers more akin to a wizard in EQ, than the SK.

Then I went on with a storyline about two souls being stuffed into one body, and came up with Khumalo, a dead-neutral being. Every time he did good, he did equally evil. Got kind of interesting, especially when charging into battle.

I ran with that for a while, before I realised, I'm not good at RP, and eventually stopped. I still stick with Khyron, though, as my RP char.

Lashanna
noob
posted 05-31-2002 01:42:06 AM
I like Rapiers, elegant weapons for a more civilized time. I like the grace and finesse associated with them, and the fine maneuvers and skill....

On the other hand, I don't really use any one weapon too much for my characters.

Oh, and Otaku, my most recent D&D Character's weapon:

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 05-31-2002 01:43:47 AM
As said, I have to have magic, or else I'm inept.

You all know Solstyce . She felw all over the place... from mischief elf to crazy enchanter elf to crazy pixie to REALLY crazy pixie to everything else. She was fun, she always will be fun. That's her purpose. Just go buck wild.

Eisuye... comes in two forms. Planned her out both as a child (seven years old), and as a young adult (twrnty-two), and all the character-morphing goodness in between. Eisuye as a kid is carefree, looks like she'll grow to be quite the mage, and if you can get past the childlike shell (for it IS a shell), you'll find a scarily intelligent mind. Eis as an adult, however... all childlike innocence is gone. She's still scarily intelligent, but she's COLD. She does what she can to get the power she needs, whether that be researching ancient spells or sticking her rapier in someone. Emotionless.

I prefer sort of quirky characters. Not comic releify characters, ones that seem... human. Have their dark sides and their light sides. Hell, one of my characters is a nun . I'm pretty much unable to play the tavern wench, though... can't have someone who's just a typical swordswoman or a typical mage or a typical blah-de-blah. There has to be SOMETHING about them...

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Lashanna
noob
posted 05-31-2002 01:44:18 AM
Aye, Khyron... I often played Twins as well...

Though, since my brother and I both roleplay, his character for awhile was often the twin brother of my character (being twins in real life, y'know).

Ironicly, his most common character's name is Jared to...

Steven Steve
posted 05-31-2002 01:44:29 AM
oh no
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 05-31-2002 01:47:06 AM
Bastard swords and/or crossbows in DnD, Panthers/Shotguns/Ares Predtior III/Attack choppers in Shadowrun.
Veni, vidi, vici
Lashanna
noob
posted 05-31-2002 01:47:19 AM
Oh, and I tend to play whatever the RPing group needs to fill it out...

If there's one of each type except a healer, I'll play a healer.
If there's a Hero/Leader, and goof, and a snob, I'll play the Observer, or whatever, it's a habit...

I do that in real life in relationships, I find myself doing whatever my brother/parents/boyfrined wants just to make things go easy.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-31-2002 01:55:58 AM
I don't have any one kind of weapon for my characters. More than the average of mine do carry a large staff, though.
I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Faeth Es'Braewyn
No Breasts. :(
posted 05-31-2002 01:59:42 AM
Claws. Bladed Gauntlets.

Small, fast, fist sized and undroppable(In most cases).

I also have a bladed quarterstaff. Which was the inspiration for the above picture. And yes, I know how to use it quite well. So it's not as awkward as it looks.

Course it's a lot more destructive than you might like on occasion.

"Born of fire, forged with steel, I am the hunter that you know, but will never see..."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-31-2002 02:03:00 AM
Scimmys, of course

*brandishes hers*

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-31-2002 02:03:30 AM
*snorts*

Child's play

Try a bow, you weakling

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Zaile Ghostmaker
You've gotta remember, I'm an EverQuest character.
posted 05-31-2002 02:08:48 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Jania said:
Try a bow, you weakling

I've used a bow, and to great effect.

At least, till it broke from hitting that guy on the head one too many times. Still, the string was good to finish the job with by choking him.

I find that most problems can be solved by excessive violence.

It is held in thought
only by the understanding
of the Wind.

Chalesm
There is no innuendo in this title.
posted 05-31-2002 02:13:04 AM
I'm another staff fan. It seems a tool made for both peace and war, having many uses besides just as a weapon. I find something appealing in it. It's also one of a very small number of weapons that you can carry just about anywhere, be it a dusty road, an inn ,or a royal audience.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Douglas Adams, 1952-2001

Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 05-31-2002 02:16:29 AM
For my characters, it's hard to say. It varies.

For me, I could definitely see myself kicking ass with either bladed gauntlets or a crossbow.

Jania Arindelil
Is really cute and cuddly... just needs a hug
posted 05-31-2002 02:21:21 AM
*smirks at Zaile*

If I weren't already married, you just might be my type.

(Of course, it's really hard to tell if that's a tomcat or a female from that picture :P)

Jania Arindelil
Dragon Guardian, Grandmaster Archer
Very Cranky Person
"I'll torture you so slowly, you'll think it's a career." - Darwin Mayflower
Mightion Defensor
posted 05-31-2002 02:46:10 AM
I like swords.

Welcome to...

Big ones. Is my Wurmslayer technically a sword?

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 05-31-2002 02:47:32 AM
CLAWS!
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-31-2002 02:55:27 AM
Well...Character types...

Deth's a 3 monk/8 wizard in D&D 3e. So he uses a staff just because he can. Mostly I have him use a staff because it's part of his name. His parents gave him "Staff" as part of his name (in Elvish) and it's always fit him. When he was younger he was the kid you had to "spare the reward spoil the rod" with, and growing up he's always had a staff he's modified (used to have an extending staff, and a rod of lordly might that was glitchy...now he's got a gimmicked staff he carries around). Just fits him.

My character Ragon (long story on the name) uses a custom-made handgun. Then again he's a cyborg character.

Trevor the Deathlord (Death's stand-ins, more or less) uses a pair of long-bladed duelling knives he made out of the shattered blade of the scythe Deathlords are expected to carry. They're fast, easily concealed, and work well with his acrobatic style.

Rick Dar (Lynora's hubby) usually goes with whatever's at hand, thrown or swung at hyper speeds. A pencil moving at bullet speeds hurts like a bitch, for instance. On the other hand, Rick's not vicious...usually finds some scissors and a comb and gives someone an embarrassing haircut instead.

Chuckles is a berserker...tends to use his natural weapons (vicious bite coupled with inhuman strength and natural claws), plus he tends to terrorize or sneak up on people before attacking. Then he keeps attacking til the enemy's dead or he is.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Trillee
I <3 My Deviant
posted 05-31-2002 03:00:30 AM
Bow staff. Looove those. Nothing like whipin around a thick piece of hard oak into someone's skull =P

hehe

Steven Steve
posted 05-31-2002 03:19:37 AM
quote:
Aanile stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Bow staff. Looove those. Nothing like whipin around a thick piece of hard oak into someone's skull =P

hehe

oops

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Tsunami
I like pizza.
posted 05-31-2002 03:21:22 AM
Bo staff for me, considering that's what I use irl
Moo.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 05-31-2002 04:23:12 AM
Oooooh, that depends on the type of character I'm playing...

I usually stick to three kinds of weapons, though...

Rapiers, when style and finesse are of the utmost importance.

When it comes to pure power and technique, I use Naginatas.

Finally, in more advanced game settings, I use a combination of great sword and plasma pistol. When you absolutely, positively need to kill every motha-fucka in the room.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 05-31-2002 04:42:40 AM
My favored weapon for my characters are daggers. Usually ones balanced for throwing. They're quick to draw, very fluid and quick to use, and if they're balanced you can throw your opponent off guard by throwing it at them. My main RP character carries around 20 daggers on him...most light and balanced for throwing, but a couple heavy ones as well.

IRL my favored weapon is a bastard sword...not as quick IRL as my characters are and bastard swords are good for power and can be used either one handed or two. Nothing like splitting something in two in one strike either.

Aaniele Jadedsky
Pancake
posted 05-31-2002 05:08:12 AM
well, my EQ characters prefer blades. Druid has a scimitar and shield, my Ranger uses a large weapon in his right and a shorter one in his left, or tries to.

Not much backstory for my Ranger, but my druid tends to go though some conflict. While she draws her powers from nature, she is sick to death of it and would like nothing better than to burn every forrest to the ground.

"A friend will help you move, a good friend will help you move a body"
Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 05-31-2002 05:20:44 AM
I prefer daggers myself. Light, quick, easily concealable, and quite deadly.

I also think they make an excellent throwing weapon since you can carry quite a few.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 05-31-2002 10:42:14 AM
It's fists for me. I don't know what it is about them, but they're a shit load easier to use then any weapon, you have better control, and the only way you lose a weapon is if it's removed or broken. I dunno
Lord Avatar
Pancake
posted 05-31-2002 10:44:00 AM
Good 'ole fashioned lightsaber.

Red, single blade, of course.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 05-31-2002 10:50:00 AM
Greatsword, although that should've been pretty obvious.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 05-31-2002 10:50:32 AM
When working with a combat-oriented character, I prefer eccentric weapons or weapon combinations. The combination needs to suit the character's personality. Weapons like the spiked chain are particularly interesting. I have an RP character who dual-wields morningstars, and another whose primary weapons are spiked shields.

A character who is not combat oriented will typically carry either daggers or a quarterstaff, if he/she carries any weapons at all. Shortbows are also convenient, but only if the character picks one up along the way; he or she will not typically start with one.

Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: