EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So... what are we?
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 05-23-2002 01:56:46 AM
Are we souls inside a biological shell, trying our best to prove we're worthy to join that one entity that created us?

Or are we merely biological/neural/chemical computers, protected by a shell of bone all around us and equipped with various biological systems to ensure our survival?

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Kennatsu ]

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 05-23-2002 01:58:03 AM
I always figured we were humans.

Well, most of us anyways.

Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 01:58:13 AM
Most likely?

Neither.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 05-23-2002 01:59:51 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Ferret said this:
I always figured we were humans.

Well, most of us anyways.

True, but my question is saying "What are Humans?"

Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:01:51 AM
quote:
Kennatsu had this to say about Knight Rider:

A better question is, why would that matter?

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 05-23-2002 02:03:08 AM
quote:
This one time, at Kennatsu camp:

Best definition I've ever heard is earth's most adaptable living weapon.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-23-2002 02:07:13 AM
quote:
Kennatsu thought about the meaning of life:
"What are Humans?"

The first REAL Philisophical question I've seen on this board.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:10:44 AM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
The first REAL Philisophical question I've seen on this board.

That's selling short quite a few questions imo

Delphi Aegis
Pancake
posted 05-23-2002 02:13:02 AM
Kenn always has a knack for asking the deep questions.

You can break down a human body into what.. 3 bucks or so worth of chemicals? Says a lot about how much we value the universe, eh?

I make no sense when I'm tired.

Life is emergent in the universe. Or its very, very, VERY unique. Either way, our mind's capacity to wonder about the universe, and the ability to understand the universe, or fractions upon fractions thereof, says a lot as to what we are.

My head hurts.

Delphi
I walk in the Light
Facing the Darkness Boldly
I fear no Evil
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-23-2002 02:14:14 AM
quote:
Maradön? obviously shouldn't have said:
That's selling short quite a few questions imo

Not at all.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:16:25 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Delphi Aegis stammered:
Life is emergent in the universe. Or its very, very, VERY unique. Either way, our mind's capacity to wonder about the universe, and the ability to understand the universe, or fractions upon fractions thereof, says a lot as to what we are.

Again I ask, why would that matter?

Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:17:04 AM
quote:
Densetsu got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Not at all.

Your shortsighted opinion is noted

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-23-2002 02:17:55 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Maradön? was all like:
Your shortsighted opinion is noted

Densetsu shrugs.

I forgot that you were the authority on Philosophy.

Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:19:33 AM
quote:
Densetsu had this to say about Tron:
I forgot that you were the authority on Philosophy.

Likewise.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 05-23-2002 02:27:53 AM
Very rarely is a question near Philosophical around here. 'What are humans?' is probably the first question that resides at the very core of philosophy, therefore I see it as the first 'real' question of that nature. While Kennatsu's earlier examples of what the answers could be are not quite Philosophical themselves, the question of 'What are Humans?' is.
Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:39:51 AM
If that's the first "philosohpical" question you've seen, you're not looking hard enough.
Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-23-2002 02:39:53 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Kennatsu stammered:
"What are Humans?"

A body is just flesh. If you got your hand cut off, would you be someone else? No, you would still be you, just with a new experience to learn from. If you woke up tomorrow and found yourself turned into a lion, would you still be you? Once again, yes. While flesh may help to shape the human you are, it is not what makes you human.

Is it the soul? No, but it's close. Many things can be said to have at least a limited form of a soul. Human souls may be different, but that's just a side effect of what makes us human.

Is it the mind? Yes. While the brain made of flesh and the emptyness of the soul may give rise to the human mind, it is the mind itself that truely makes us human. It is the mind that wields the flesh, no matter the shape of it. It is the mind that fills the soul with hopes and fears and the dreams of stars.

Break my flesh, and I can still be a great man. Steven Hawkings is proof of that.

Break my soul, and I can still make my mark in history. Edgar Alan Poe is proof of that.

Break my mind, and I am no more. All that will be left is a shell, devoid of that which was once me.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Maradon!
posted 05-23-2002 02:41:19 AM
The existence of a "soul" in the romantic sense is still a theory, and really more of a superstition.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Maradön? ]

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-23-2002 02:44:12 AM
quote:
Maradön? obviously shouldn't have said:
The existence of a "soul" in the romantic sense is still a theory, and really more of a superstition.

For the sake of this discussion, it's real enough I think.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 05-23-2002 03:11:45 AM
For the sake of this discussion, 'Self' is a much better thing to base what's real on. There's a strong possibility that the soul does not exist at all. Though, I believe something like it does.
Kennatsu
posted 05-23-2002 03:37:31 AM
I'd like to think that when we die, our memories will die with our body... but the essence of life; the very thing that allows us to be sentient... basically just energy... well, it leaves the body and waits 'til it has the chance to give life to a newly concieved living thing. I like to think that life energy is recycled... who knows? Maybe 60,000,000 years ago we were dinosaurs just minding our own business 'til that meteor hit...
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-23-2002 04:27:05 AM
Tackling the whole thing head on without a common agreement on certain things is tricky. For instance, if there is a self, is it separate from biological urges? Hunger, for instance. Or the biological urge to procreate. Is it the body that's clay manipulated by the mind, or the mind that's clay manipulated by the body?

Clearly if someone gives you sodium pentathol or whatever, your inhibitions drop and you're more apt to suggestion. Hunger is a demand from the body. The body makes a lot of them. If it's not hungry, it's thirsty. If it's not hungry or thirsty, it's tired. If it's not hungry, thirsty, or tired, it's bored and gets fidgety. Physical chemical imbalances can affect perception, or make a person behave oddly.

So before you go with any separation of soul and body, you have to allow for the reality that you're either 1. going to have to make a clear divider line between the two, and be ready to explain why it's a divider, or 2. accept that the entity in question is in fact one lump sum human being. Indivisable within itself.

Depending on your answer there you could come up with any number of little notions about what a human is. HOW you define something also affects what's defined. If you define us by the traits of our growth, we're actually rather similar to hyper-advanced viri. Define us by our biological systems and we're a sort of large nearly hairless ape with unprecedented intelligence.

Plus the person themself would modify the issue. A nihilistic physicist might point out that all life, including humans are nothing more than a clever counter-equation which seeks to delay the effects of entropy by prolonging its own existence in clever and ultimately meaningless ways that actually do more to accelerate entropy than to stop it.

Or you could skip trying to think up any ground rules at all and have a free for all opinion session.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 05-23-2002 11:00:47 AM
Ever been put under for surgery?

Remember what happened while you were under?

What if death is like that?

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 05-23-2002 11:03:47 AM
You ask too many questions.

I don't think it really matters what we "are." No matter what we happen to be it's not worth thinking about because it changes absolutely nothing.

Blindy
Roll for initiative, Monkey Boy!
posted 05-23-2002 11:06:18 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Suddar Williams said this:
You ask too many questions.

I don't think it really matters what we "are." No matter what we happen to be it's not worth thinking about because it changes absolutely nothing.

in the long run, nothing changes. we all die.

On a plane ride, the more it shakes,
The more I have to let go.
Suddar Williams
SUDAR WILAMS
posted 05-23-2002 11:07:48 AM
Well, all I'm saying is you can spend your life wondering what we are or you could spend your life not worrying about it and, well, living your life.
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 05-23-2002 11:28:29 AM
quote:
Kennatsu was listening to Cher while typing:
I'd like to think that when we die, our memories will die with our body... but the essence of life; the very thing that allows us to be sentient... basically just energy... well, it leaves the body and waits 'til it has the chance to give life to a newly concieved living thing. I like to think that life energy is recycled...

Mako energy!!!

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-23-2002 03:36:58 PM
Then some corporation comes along and rams a siphon into your stream and it reeeeeeeeeeeallly reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally sucks. And not in a good way.

hehehehe...

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kyubi
Pancake
posted 05-23-2002 04:01:08 PM
quote:
From the book of Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael, chapter 3, verse 16:
Then some corporation comes along and rams a siphon into your stream and it reeeeeeeeeeeallly reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally sucks. And not in a good way.

hehehehe...

Would that corporation happen to be Hoover Vaccums?

Soltari Tungus
Pancake
posted 05-23-2002 04:12:40 PM
What are we? We are viruses, possibly the offspring of a long-dead fiend that came to Earth. Earth, therefore, sees us as a threat and is trying to destroy us, thus explaining why the more we kill the planet, the more attention we are forced to focus on curing a new disease that didn't used to exist or on a new war started by someone driven mad by an experience with the planet, possibly including Hitler, Osama, and the guy who began slavery.
You would do well to fear a dragon's wrath. You would do better to fear a woman's.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: